Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Who plans to use WhisperSync for Voice?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Sep 11, 2012 01:58PM) (new)

Karen Commins (karencommins) | 75 comments Hi, all. I'm wondering how many avid audiobook listeners would actually use the new WhisperSync for Voice feature on their Kindle. This feature lets you listen to the audiobook or read the e-book and maintain your place in both.

I can see a potential use for this technology with textbooks. I can only recall a couple of times where I bought both the print and audio versions of a book.

Amazon is making the option more enticing by slashing the price of the audiobook after you buy the Kindle book. For instance, one of the books I narrated It's Never Too Late To Be What You Might Have Been is normally $14.95. However, you can get it for just $4.99 after buying the Kindle version. Essentially, you're getting both products for the price of the audiobook.

As a consumer, I don't want both versions. I downloaded some of the free classics only because I wanted the free audiobooks. When reading for pleasure, I generally read one book on my Kindle while listening to 1 or 2 books on other devices.

As a narrator, I'm not too thrilled with this promotion. If that sales price becomes permanent, it could drastically diminish the royalties I receive for this production.

I imagine that the audio publishers may raise the same arguments about this technology as they did when Amazon enabled text-to-speech on the Kindle.

I'm very interested to learn your thoughts about WhisperSync for Voice. Do you plan to use it?

Karen

message 2: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments I don't own a Kindle but I do have the app for the Kindle eReader and the app for Audible on my 2 iPads and 2 of my iTouch's . . . so I believe I am supposed to be able to sync between the audio version and the eBook version. I did download some of the freebees to try out this feature but have not done so yet.
On the YouTube visual it shows how this is supposed to work . . but I wasn't impressed with the follow-along highlighting that was shown. I felt that would be a distraction.
I have actually bought both an eBook and audiobook of the same title for a few of my massively detailed books . . . In order to have a more detailed presentation of complicated information. But I don't think I would do that for every book I purchase.

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I rarely buy both the ebook and the audiobook so I don't see myself using this feature either. And in the case I have both, it's because I get them from the library if I'm not sure what version to tackle.

message 4: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3605 comments I can see this as a good educational tool for students who are learning disabled or merely reluctant readers, providing the multi-sensory experience many need or benefit from. I suppose I could also see someone who listens during a commute but prefers to read print when possible liking this feature so they can switch back and forth. But for me, if I like the reader I don't want to abandon them and often audiobooks are so convenient since they allow multi-tasking. Short answer, I won't be using it myself.

message 5: by Julissa (new)

Julissa (ta2kitty) | 10 comments It makes no sense to me to have to pay for 2 versions (even if the audio version is discounted.) I'm not interested in this feature.

message 6: by binter (last edited Sep 12, 2012 01:52PM) (new)

binter | 216 comments For pleasure reading, I have several books in both audio and print. However - and I may be in the minority here - I view the audio version and the print version as two completely separate things. I don't expect to get both for the price of one. Don't get me wrong, I love a deal but I'm not looking to shortchange either the author or the narrator.

For educational purposes, I have found that I retain more information when I both read and hear the information. In these instances, I can see the text and audio versions bundled.

message 7: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments With most of the books not in the classics listing they're discounting the ebook, and the discounts are mostly only $1-2 off the regular price for the ebook or the audiobook.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments I can't see myself using it. I like having both the digital and audio of a book, but mainly to look up quotes I want to cite from an audiobook – and I can do that through Google Books, usually. Otherwise, storage space is limited and I'd rather not add yet more to an already complaining Kindle or laptop memory.

I totally agree with Ali-ef – the audio and print versions of a book are two totally separate things, each involving completely different productions. I grouse under my breath about having to pay for a digital copy of a book I buy in paper, but I've never thought twice about paying for an audio version as a separate entity from the print.

The other reason I'd hesitate to use the Whispersync is that I'm assuming it works along much the same lines as "go to last page read" and such on my Kindle. That means sending Amazon information about highlighted clippings, collections, and the rate at which I read, along with other data, and I'm not interested in providing that.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 45 comments I often buy the ebook & audio so this is very tempting. I'm going to purchase the new Fire with Dolby later this year. By that time there should be enough critiques from whispersync users to help make my decision.

message 10: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments I have nearly no interest in this feature.

I've doubled-up on reading precisely once in all the years I've been audio reading. This was because my book club was reading War and Peace and I really wanted to read the new Pevear and Volonsky translation, but it wasn't available in audio. But I knew I'd never get through it in the limited print reading time I had.

I do have books in hard copy and audio because I've read one version and wanted to re-read it later in the other version, but usually this is months or years apart. And I never bought the second version until after I fell in love with the first.

Like Karen I downloaded some of the classics because I wanted the free audio.

message 11: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments I never buy two versions of the same book so I would not use it. When I got the email promotion from Audible, my immediate thought was that there cannot be many people (Alice excluded ;-D ) that would be interested in this. Maybe I'm wrong.

message 12: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1960 comments Grumpus wrote: "I never buy two versions of the same book so I would not use it. When I got the email promotion from Audible, my immediate thought was that there cannot be many people (Alice excluded ;-D ) that w..."

That was my thoughts exactly Grumpus!

message 13: by CatBookMom (last edited Sep 12, 2012 02:25PM) (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments I don't know that I'll use the sync option often, but there are some non-fiction books that I think might work well with it, sections where I want to think about or re-read something, more than you can when you're just listening. And sometimes I find that listening to a book (particularly non-fiction) isn't a good choice for me. I grabbed several of the low-price combinations besides the classics, and some of the audio versions of classics that I didn't have.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) I rarely have 2 versions of the same book, but when I do, it's usually audio and a library copy. I might read a book at home, but then use the audio version on my ipod to continue it whilst travelling or doing other things. I can't see much call for it myself, but if you use audio in the same way I do, maybe it would be useful.
Someone mentioned text-to-speech on the Kindle, I never use that, it is truely terrible to listen to.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments If it was one price for the book and audiobook together that would make more sense to me.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 191 comments I wouldn't use this much for my own reading. If I had the funds, I would love it for some of my students. By the time a student gets to 5th grade, if they have difficulties reading they are very turned off to reading. Audio books are often a way to get kids excited about it again. However I want them to read and listen at the same time. This would cut down on the number of times I have to help a student find his/her place in the book and the iPod.

message 17: by Janice (new)

Janice I don't own a Kindle, but would love to have this kind of capacity for my NOOK. I find that what I retain from audio is often much different than what I retain from visual reading. I don't mean contradictory, just different pieces of information. I loved having both the audio and print text for Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption; it really enhanced my reading experience. I probably wouldn't use this for everything I read, but having it available would be great!

message 18: by Julissa (new)

Julissa (ta2kitty) | 10 comments Audible.com is offering a free trial of their Whispersync (where you can listen where you left off in your ebook. You can switch back and forth from ebook to audio and not lose your place.) You get to choose from free ebooks and then get the free audio book too. Here's the link:
http://www.audible.com/mt/wfs/narrow/...

☔️ Stormy Day Reader  (rainydayz179) Looks like I'm in a huge minority here but I can say I have done this. My library offers e-books and audio books. I will read the e-book and then switch to audio when I have things I need to do. As someone else mentioned this is great for finding quotes that you like in the book. Usually when switching back from audio I will use the search feature to find the last thing said in the audio to find my place in the e-book. I enjoy sitting with my husband reading while he watches tv at night but I also can't sit around reading when I have things to do around the house. Switching back and forth is one of the things that allows me to read as many books as I do. If there isn't much of a price difference I would get most of my books on both.

message 20: by Alsjem (new)

Alsjem | 6 comments Heidi (up to no good) wrote: "If it was one price for the book and audiobook together that would make more sense to me."

I agree. I would rarely want to have both book and audio but if I did I'd be happy to buy them as a bundle at a slightly reduced price.

However I would find the idea of them being synced with each other irritating.

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy | 5 comments Karen wrote: "Hi, all. I'm wondering how many avid audiobook listeners would actually use the new WhisperSync for Voice feature on their Kindle. This feature lets you listen to the audiobook or read the e-book a..."

I have a Kindle ap on my iPad and thought I might use it for children's books for my grandchildren but I wouldn't use it for myself.

message 22: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 946 comments It's not likely that I will use it. I don't see that much of an advantage to having both. The advantage is all Amazon's.

message 23: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) Karen wrote: "Hi, all. I'm wondering how many avid audiobook listeners would actually use the new WhisperSync for Voice feature on their Kindle. This feature lets you listen to the audiobook or read the e-book a..."

Yes, I would use it for sure. BUT I own a Nook, not a Kindle, so probably wouldn't take advantage of their promotion. But if publishers get on board, I'm there like a flash.

message 24: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3642 comments I wouldn't use it, although I am aware of someone who will only listen to audiobooks if she's read the book previously, or has a copy on hand, as she's "afraid" she might miss something.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe, but its utility is limited for me. Generally speaking, I'd rather own a physical copy if I'm not just listening to audio.

message 26: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I like the idea, unfortunately I won't be using it because I own a Nook.

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments I'm not sure what it would sound like, mechanical maybe? I love the artistry of the readers who make a good story even better. Some are truly great artists. There are only 3 readers I haven't liked or loved in 20 years of listening. And those three have been praised by other listeners. It seems to be a very personal thing.

message 28: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3642 comments What "what" would sound like? I think the syncing means switching back and forth from the ebook version to a professionally-narrated audiobook.

message 29: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments I started listening to one of the free books that Audible offered and also downloaded several of the eBook editions to match . . . and so far when you open the Audible app and listen for awhile and then come back and open the eBook . . . a menu appears and tells you where you left off reading or listening and asks you if you want to sync to that position to continue reading. Works pretty well so far. I don't own a Kindle . . . just use the apps on my iPad.

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 81 comments I probably won't use WhisperSync, because generally I listen to an audiobook while commuting and exercising and read a different book before bed or at other times. However, I could imagine using the feature if I was really enthralled by a particular work and wanted to concentrate on it to the exclusion of another book or wanted to get through a really long book quickly.

message 31: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) Tomerobber wrote: "I started listening to one of the free books that Audible offered and also downloaded several of the eBook editions to match . . . and so far when you open the Audible app and listen for awhile and..."

That is so cool. I often am in the middle of a great book I don't want to leave and then have to take a trip or go do something outside or wherever and I would love to be able to continue with my train of thought...

message 32: by Vinity (new)

Vinity | 20 comments I actually do frequently have the ebook and audio version of the same book so this interest me. What I'm wondering is, certain books I have already ordered as ebook and they have the audio, can I still get the deal? I bought Angelfall last Oct as selfpub, now the author has gotten a publisher and the audio is up. I'd like the audio. I can't seem to figure out how to get it at the $4.99 price. I'll do the audible chat on this tomorrow.

What I'm asking is has anyone had an ebook already and tried to get the audio?

message 33: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments Quite a few of my kindle books are offered as audio at reduced pricing. I went through ALL 15000+ and added the ones I am interested in to wishlist.

message 34: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett | 12 comments This is a great idea. There's lots of books I read and I have long commutes to work. I always bring audiobooks with me on my ride, but they're not the same books I read. This might be a nice way to fix it.

Only thing, I tend to like reading fiction, and I tend to like listening to non-fiction. So I'll have to see how the combo works.

message 35: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) Shirley wrote: "Quite a few of my kindle books are offered as audio at reduced pricing. I went through ALL 15000+ and added the ones I am interested in to wishlist."

Wow. I'm impressed. Can't stand the scrolling myself.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Commins (karencommins) | 75 comments All, thanks for the very interesting comments and great discussion! I wanted to add some info that I learned from other lists.

@Vinity -- Someone on another list wrote "if you already own an Audible or Kindle book that's now available for Whispersync you can still get the discount on the companion book in the other medium. You don't have to buy it again."

However, they didn't say if you have to do anything to get the special price. I hope you'll let us know what you found out.

Regarding the pricing, one publisher talked with ACX/Audible about the price points for the audiobook. Apparently, some titles are available as low as $1.99 on top of the ebook price. ACX/Audible is using these price points as a test to gauge the level of interest before deciding on a final price point.

Karen

message 37: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments Karen wrote: "All, thanks for the very interesting comments and great discussion! I wanted to add some info that I learned from other lists.

@Vinity -- Someone on another list wrote "if you already own an Audib..."

I think you will find them listed in 15000+ and the price for the audio companion on audible with whispersync.

message 38: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments Thanks to the whispersync promotion I was able to get these as audio for reduced pricing because I have the kindle books. Some were free or very low cost and glad to have them as audios.

Murder in Passy: An Aimée Leduc Investigation, Book 11
By Cara Black
Private Justice
By Terri Blackstock
To Defy a King
By Elizabeth Chadwick
Daughter of Silk
By Linda Lee Chaikin
Family Tree
By Barbara Delinsky
The Christmas Pearl
By Dorothea Benton Frank
The Walk
By Lee Goldberg
The Witness
By Dee Henderson
Shot of Tequila: A Jacqueline 'Jack' Daniels Mystery

By J. A. Konrath
Life of Pi
By Yann Martel
Mosaic
By John R. Maxim
The Cruelest Month: A Three Pines Mystery

By Louise Penny
Morgue Drawer Four: Morgue Drawer, Book 1

By Jutta Profijt

message 39: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Good stash Shirley . . . I've used all my credits now til next month . . . but my wish list still has some items . . . and there are some new additions from some of my favorite authors coming out before the end of the year.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Shirley wrote: "Thanks to the whispersync promotion I was able to get these as audio for reduced pricing because I have the kindle books. Some were free or very low cost and glad to have them as audios.

Murder i..."

So if you already own the Kindle book and they offer the audiobook of it as a whispersync book you can get it at a discounted price on audio??

message 41: by Shirley (last edited Sep 20, 2012 10:25AM) (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments http://www.audible.com/mt/wfs/narrow/...

scroll down and select

See all Whispersync for Voice audiobooks.

I went through all 15000+ titles and selected the ones I wanted to have as audio versions.

message 42: by John (last edited Sep 27, 2012 07:15AM) (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) I for one am delighted to see this feature as it's one of those things that I kept saying to people "D'you know what they should do...?".

However it's not something I can avail of just yet. I strictly only buy audiobooks through audible membership and credits, and it doesn't yet seem to factor in the credit system, or go the other way. (Cheap kindle book if you have the audio book.)

I did a search and someone highlighted these issues here, http://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/t...

-

But thanks for posting that link Shirley - I'm checking out some of the free options.

message 43: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments John
Looks like you would have to look at Audible for what you are reading next and see if they paired Kindle book and have a reduced price.

One would think there would be a listing for audio paired with Kindle reduced price.

message 44: by aprilla (new)

aprilla | 247 comments I don't intend to use it. I got tuned in to audiobooks when these old eyes weren't focussing so well on print, this includes any print, so WhisperSync wouldn't offer me any advantage.

Besides, now I'm addicted to audiobooks and simply not interested :)

message 45: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 45 comments Excellent link John, thanks