You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Best place/ time to read

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe (club_green_cat) | 16 comments Hi all, I think that i tend to be able to sink into a book best when I'm laid on my bed in the evenings. couldn't say why this is, but my reading tends to be more fluent and concentrated in that environment.
What are other peoples favourite places/ times to pick up a book?
Plus, how long do you read for in a single sitting? i find that i start to lose concentration and my eyes go a bit funny after about an hour :)

message 2: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I love reading in bed, but also enjoy reading sat on my sofa :) Tend to read in the evenings as during the day I feel as if I shouldn't be enjoying myself and should be working. If I can get in bed early I can spend a good few hours reading but normally I don't get to bed until quite late and then get told to turn the light off, so tend to only manage half an hour before I go to sleep.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments During the Winter my most favorite place to read is in bed, under lots of cozy blankets. In the Summer my favorite place to read is on my patio, in the sun.

message 4: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments I can't read in bed for long... my eyes get heavy.

I sit in a big arm chair, sideways on, with my legs over one arm, wrapped up in cushions.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments Oh, I forgot to say that for bed reading, it's before going to sleep and for patio reading it's anytime of the day, but especially when it's really sunny. I guess I love to be warm!

message 6: by Joe (new)

Joe (club_green_cat) | 16 comments i have heard of people that are avid readers and read whenever possible, for hours at a time. i must admit i do enjoy reading, but isnt that a bit over the top? after a while it is hard to focus, i need to take a break every so often or i get annoyed with myself because i cant concentrate, does anyone else have this problem?

message 7: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments I'd like to read for hours at a time (if I had the time!), but my eyes get tired, so I have to take a break and do something else before I get sleepy. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

message 8: by Joe (new)

Joe (club_green_cat) | 16 comments Yea I'm the same, I guess Reading is meant to be enjoyable, so there's no point overdoing it or it loses it's fun.
What are the main benefits to be gained by regular Reading? (novels)
What things do you learn from them?

message 9: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments "What are the main benefits to be gained by regular Reading?"
Not losing the plot?

I read for pleasure and don't really think of it in terms of other benefits.

As for what I learn, that's incidental. Some books give insight into other times and places, others stimulate the imagination and help on see things from a new angle.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I get most of my reading done on the train ride to and from work. It's a 40 minute ride and I can focus best there. I do get a lot of reading done here at work, too, but I have a lot more trouble focusing. I did the massive amounts of reading thing a few months ago and got totally burnt out. If I am truly enjoying a book, I can read for hours on end, but mostly, I can do an hour or two at a time, then get distracted. I don't try to crank the books out anymore.

message 11: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Yes, that's the only thing I miss about commuting by train - guaranteed reading time 5 days a week.

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz Almond | 7 comments on my porch, early in the morning, with a cup of coffee, or two or three!!

message 13: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) | 28 comments Best time and place to read is in work. Stolen time is much sweeter.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments tsk tsk Epee!

message 15: by BurgendyA (new)

BurgendyA | 72 comments My best places to read is in my bedroom, patio swing bench & on plane, or car trips. Sometime at my break time from work. =)~

message 16: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) I have to say that I read most when I'm commuting to and from work, whcih takes a hour each way (...or more if its rus hour!).

BUT - my absolute FAVOURITE place to read is in the bath with a nice glass of wine and maybe some chocolate too. I read until I prune.

Ally

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments My favorite place to read is on the grounds of a local coffee shop, which is out in the country. They have a wooded area and a stream that runs past their place. I love to sit under a great big tree right next to the river, listen to it flow past me, and read. Problem is, I don't get there as much as I would like!

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Ridgeway My best time to read is 5-6:30 am, and 9-11 pm. Location: Screened-in porch or boat dock area.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I read best in the winter, because it's cold and so there are no distractions. Curled up under a duvet with a hot chocolate and a good hardy novel - perfection! But other than that, I have no preferences.

message 20: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments i read a bit more than i should having 3 kids but my favorite place to read is lying on the floor next to my bed, yes i know it sounds werid but this is the best part, when my children walk in the bedroom they cant see me & no they dont walk round the bed to see if mum is sneeking a few chapters of her book in the day, fab!! i can finish my sentence in peace and go and find them, sneeky i know!! other than that its after kids bedtime.

message 21: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Robertson | 1 comments Tasha, you are so funny! I like to sit on the floor with my back up against my bed and the pets all around me, since there is no hiding from them. Hopefully, Tasha, your kids will get the yen to read from you. It offers such escape and satisfaction. Phy

message 22: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments I hope so to hun,i dont know what id do without my books!
ooh the places iv been to while snuggled up on my chair! x

message 23: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 35 comments At night, in my cozy bed.
But I do like reading on public transport, too.

message 24: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10017 comments When I read at home (and I do a lot), I always have a niggling in my brain that reminds me that chores are waiting to be done. Of course, I ignore that!

So really I get the most satisfaction when reading while waiting...doctor's office, dentist office, waiting for my friend to finish her shopping....AND OF COURSE let's not forget Jury Duty breaks!☻

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47263 comments I read audiobooks in the car while driving, on my couch after finishing work for the day, and any chance I can. I tend to read print books in bed.

Funny thing is that when I started listening to audiobooks, I made a comment that I can read print books faster. But I spend more time listening, so I tend to knock off more audiobooks than print.

message 26: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 2 comments At night, in my bed, before I go to sleep.

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (memandyme) | 16 comments I like reading right when I wake up. It really sets the beat for my day. I have my entire bedside table filled with books. I wake up before my boyfriend so I spend that time catching up on books.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Mandy wrote: "I like reading right when I wake up. It really sets the beat for my day. I have my entire bedside table filled with books. I wake up before my boyfriend so I spend that time catching up on books."

I am the same is you. I love reading for an hour (more at weekends) in the morning when I wake up but unlike you, I prefer it when my partner is already awake, then I can lay in bed with some peace and quiet and as an added bonus, he can bring me a cup of tea in bed! ;-) It's the simple things...

message 29: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I know I posted this in "memes" already, but I couldn't resist:

description

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite time to read is when I am being driven somewhere. Also, I love reading a chapter or ten just before bed. ;) With my morning coffee is a good time too.

message 31: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments I wake up extra early in the mornings so I have time to make breakfast and spend 30-45 minutes reading over hot food, and hot coffee. I also always read myself to sleep at night, which sometimes is half an hour, or sometimes closer to 3 hours, depending on the book!

I bring my Nook with me most everywhere, so I'll read while I'm in line at the store, or if I have time to kill I'll find a coffee shop (I have to listen to classical music in public, though, I'm too easily distracted).

On the weekends, I'll spend 4 hours each day reading. I can read for hours, and if it's a really, really good book, I can't put it down until it's finished. When GRRM's books come out, for instance, I'll spend all weekend reading non-stop.

message 32: by Caecilia (new)

Caecilia Saori great topic.
my favourite moments to read are
- in the evening, in bed (with tea and cookies)
- on the underground, on the way to/from work
- spring/summer, in my fav local park

I've learned that falling into one book only, is unhealthy for me.
reading several books in parallel keeps me to not get overly narrow-minded.

message 33: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments My favorite time to read, is in the morning, for about an hour or two, before I wake my daughter. I sit in the kitchen, with a few cups of tea and/or coffee and my accompanying background music.
And at night, when I am lying in bed, before I go to sleep I usually read, but only about 20-30 mins, because my eyes just get too heavy.
I read during the day as well, but that is usually only 5 or 10 min here and there in between this or that.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I always try to get 10 to 15 minutes in the mornings before starting my working day. On weekends, I try for 30 minutes.

I read at night before bed if not too tired and in the winter, I love to read in the bath.