Audiobooks discussion

Archives > First time audiobook listener

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by bella (new)

bella (thespiceflows) So I'm a audiobook newie. I previously loved my paperbacks, then got used to ebooks and now I'm thoroughly enjoying audiobooks. I was going through a reading slump and a friend suggested audiobooks. My first audiobook was Children of Dune by Frank Herbert. I've read and re-read this book and I couldn't believe how much I was missing out from not trying the audio book. I loved it and am planning many more.

I mostly shop at audible, but I'm open to suggestions as to where else to buy from.

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments Hello and welcome! Most of my audiobooks are from the library and/or my libraries Overdrive collection. I am too cheap to pay for Audible every month so when I want to buy an audiobook I normally purchase it from Books on Board (I just got one there last night because I had $6.00 in rewards to spend -- love rewards!!). Hope you find lots of great audiobooks in your future.

message 3: by bella (new)

bella (thespiceflows) I just got a Laurell K Hamilton book from my library's website and put my name on a hold list for Harry Potter. I love that they are getting more.

I used to use Books on Board for ebooks, I will have to check out their audio selection. Their reward program is so awesome.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Sep 11, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments Books on Board is almost always cheaper than Audible (I check) if you just want to buy an audiobook here and there -- Audible is better IMO if you want to buy audiobooks on a regular basis. Sometimes BOB doesn't have the audio format but a lot of the ones I have wanted they have. I just bought Unholy Ghosts from there last night and my next purchase from them will be Hammered

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments btw the I really liked the first L K Hamilton book and I LOVE LOVE LOVE (and own) all the Harry Potter books on audio and in print.

message 6: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Hi bella,
I have also gotten a lot of books on CD's from my local library over the years (just checked out like a regular book) as well as using Overdrive app that they use for downloading books from the internet. Check with you local library and see what they offer.
I have also found books from some of the publishers web sites as well,
www.blackstoneaudio.com had an overstock sale of CD books and I got some from them for $9.00/ea. And Apple's iTunes store also sells audiobooks. Check around for titles and prices.

message 7: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Tantor Audio (https://www.tantor.com/home-consumer.asp) usually has good deals on some MP3 downloads and some CDs. Sometimes there are free audiobooks. Get on their emailing list for updates - not a lot of emails.