6. People of The Book
7. The Secret Life of Bees

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 8. Mistress of the Art of Death--A Franklin
9. Tomato Girl--Jayne Pupak

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 10. What Happened to Anna K? by Irina Reyn

message 4: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments tip of the hat on ten!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Thanks! I've got so many books in my TBR pile that I really need to step it up.

message 6: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I know how you feel! My list keeps getting bigger and bigger! It doesn't help that I read other people's lists and then add onto mine, or add random ones to my hold list at the library! LOL

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Lately, I feel like I'm doing well if I buy fewer books in a week than I've read! I just happened to be going by the library today and was saved by the fact that they aren't open on Mondays.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 11. Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson
I would recommend this book to all women!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 12. Matrimony by Joshua Henkin
This book explores relationships of all kinds, not just marriage. My favorite was the relationship between the characters of Julian and Carter.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 13. Chocolat by Joanne Harris
If you've seen the movie,you'll probably enjoy the book, although there are some major differences. It appeals to the senses in much the same way.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 14. The Other Mother by Gwendolen Gross

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 15. The Life Room by Jill Bialosky
Maybe it was just too soon for another book about a married woman with conflicted feelings. Maybe it was just too soon for another book using "Anna Karenina" as a base. There wasn't an adult I liked in this book; but I'm not sure I was supposed to. Bialosky does very often write beautifully.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 16. "Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons

Great satire, quirky characters; read the book then rent the movie!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 17. The Drowning People by Richard Mason

An unusual take on revenge. Very depressing throughout and with a twist I did not see coming.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 18. on CD "The Yiddish Policemen's Union" by Michael Chabon

This is one that would probably have been better in book form--hard to keep track of everything and if you missed something you have to go back to the beginning of the chapter. Well read, though and a very interesting read.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 19. "Buffalo Lockjaw" by Greg Ames Ames paints a vivid picture of man trying to deal with his upbringing in Buffalo as well as his mother's advanced dementia. The end leaves you hanging and there are not tidy wrapups.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 20. "The Art of Racing In The Rain" by Garth Stein on CD. I had a little trouble getting past the dog as narrator and I think all the talk about racing might have gotten a little old for me if I were reading it. But by the end, I was really enjoying it!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 21. "Lush Life" by Richard Price. Gritty, realistic protrayal of the aftermath of a random street shooting.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 22. "The Housekeeper and The Professor" by Yoko Ogawa. Occasionally a little heavy on the math teaching--but that is the only, very slight, complaint I have about this book. It is a lovely story.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 23. "The Garden of Last Days" by Andre DuBus III. Primarily a character study wrapped around the lives of several people in the days leading up to Sept 11th. Once again, I felt like this book could have been shorter and not lost a thing. I get it, I get it already--the characters are conflicted!

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 24. "What The Dead Know" by Laura Lippman. I like a good mystery and this one definitely kept me guessing. I thought it took a little too long to wrap it up at the end, but otherwise I liked this one a lot.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 25. "City of Thieves" by David Benioff. Worth all of the praise it has received. But not for the squimish or those that prefer a book with sexual discussion (although this is relatively minimal).

Yah! I'm half way there!

message 23: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Half-way!!!! Hooray!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mary Todd wrote: "Half-way!!!! Hooray!"

Thanks! Now I'm thinking 75 is not out of the question.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 26. One In A Million by Kimberla Roby Lawson--do not waste your time--just awful.

27. Pictures At An Exhibition by Sarah Houghteling story set in the art world of Paris in and around WWII and the Nazi invasion

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 28. "Getting Rid of Matthew" by Jane Fallon--great fun in the tradition of British chick-lit but with a bit more brain.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 29. "I See You Everywhere" by Julia Glass the story of two sisters who love each other but circle around each other never fully connecting.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 30. "The Story of A Marriage" by Andrew Sean Greer--more surprises in the first 50 or so pages than any book I have read in a very long time. Very unique story.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 31. "A Mercy" by Toni Morrison--beautifully written, learned a lot about early Colonial America

32. "Ms Hempel Chronicles" by Sarah Bynum--didn't really get into this one until the end and then I liked it much more

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 33. "America, America" by Ethan Canin. For anyone who has had an interest in American politics and likes a sweeping tale.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 34. "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson. I feel like I'm introducing "Monty Python's Flying Circus" when I review this one--you know..."And now for something completely different." Strange book. Mixed feelings.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 35. "The Condition" by Jennifer Haigh. another dysfunctional family book, another rambling timeline book. Good choice for book clubs, tho'; there's a lot to discuss.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 36. "The Red Leather Diary: Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal" by Lily Koppel. Loved this one!

message 34: by Cam (new)

Cam Lisa wrote: "36. "The Red Leather Diary: Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal" by Lily Koppel. Loved this one!"

My Mum just sent me this one, (very sneakily raiding my wish list). She said the stores had barely been able to keep up with the demand. Sounds good Lisa!

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Cam: wrote: "Lisa wrote: "36. "The Red Leather Diary: Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal" by Lily Koppel. Loved this one!"

My Mum just sent me this one, (very sneakily raiding my wish lis..."

Cam: wrote: "Lisa wrote: "36. "The Red Leather Diary: Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal" by Lily Koppel. Loved this one!"

My Mum just sent me this one, (very sneakily raiding my wish lis..."

I hope you like it--I see you like mysteries and this is definitely not going to pull you in like those do. But it's a quick and easy read and there's so much to learn about the 1930's in NYC.

message 36: by Cam (last edited May 11, 2009 08:22AM) (new)

Cam I'm gradually trying to rectify the lean my list has towards the mystery/thriller catagories. Clearly I'm not quite there yet! (sorry just realised I left half the message off? OOOps! I'll just edit this one). Because of the historical potential of the diary I thought it would show some wonderful perspective into that period of time in New York. I'm glad you've said there is a lot to gain from it, I'm looking forward to it. (even if no one gets murdered)!

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 37. "The Girl With No Shadow" by Joanne Harris. This is the f/u to "Chocolat." Didn't like it quite as much but there is a bit more of an urgency to get thru the book to see what is going to happen.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 38. "Indignation" by Philip Roth. Liked the writing style; wish I liked the story more.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 39. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy beautifully written, terribly sad

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 40. "The Invention of Everything Else" by Samantha Hunt. My own expectations for this book really limited my enjoyment of it.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 41. "Home" by Marilynne Robinson. Beautifully written story which sort of just steps into a place and time for a period then steps back out--there is not real ending.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 42. "The Local News" by Miriam Gershow. Unique story of the disappearance of a child.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 43. "The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje. The least linear book I've ever read but beautifully written.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 44. "Daphne" by Justine Picardie Love Daphne du Maurier and the Bronte family so this work of fiction was right up my alley

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 45. "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry. Likeable enough but it sometimes gets muddled and the ending is improbable.

message 46: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments count down to 50

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa 46. "Beautiful Children" by Charles Bock--the children in this book are decidely not beautiful and the story was not what I was expecting. I would not recommend this book to anyone.

message 48: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments ...46...

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mary Todd wrote: "...46..."

I figured I could get a book a week read at the beginning of the year--now I'm hoping for 100!

message 50: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments yeah!

« previous 1 3