Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
This topic is about The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
Book Issues > Same ISBN, different edition with added writing and slightly different title

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (SarahJF1984) | 232 comments Hi, I am a new librarian and I am trying to add my copy of The Notre-Dame de Paris (as my copy is titled). I recently bought a copy of the 2004 edition of The Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo, published by Penguin Classics. When I found my edition wasn't in your database I searched for it under the ISBN 9780140443530. This ISBN matched a 1978 edition of the same book, except that my copy is The Notre-Dame "DE" Paris and the 1978 copy is Notre-Dame "OF" Paris (missing the "the" and "of" changed to "de"). My copy also has a different cover and more/different supplements and additional reading to the book. I would usually be happy to just leave it as the version with the different cover, but the contents of the book itself and the title are different as well. Thanks for any help you can give.

message 2: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 871 comments If your copy of the Notre-Dame de Paris shares the same ISBN number as the '78 copy Notre-Dame of Paris, your best bet is to create an alternate cover edition. Add your book with all the details except the ISBN number. Note in the description that it is an alternate cover edition for ISBN #___ . I usually also add a Librarian note. Upload your cover to this recored as well.

Further, since you've mentioned there are additional materials in your edition, I'd note those additional materials in the description field.

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (SarahJF1984) | 232 comments Thanks so much Jennifer. I have done what you suggested and am very pleased to see my actual edition in "My Books." You replied to my question so fast, I wasn't expecting to see a response till I logged in tomorrow. Thanks again.