Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > Book Flaps - Do U read the book flap (etc.) before reading the book?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 03, 2009 11:47PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Do you read the book flap first or do you prefer to dive into the book cold?

Sometimes I prefer not to have any pre-knowledge about a story. I like to be able to come in unbiased by what others say about it. I like to judge for myself. How about you?

Do you read the book flap or otherwise read about a book before you actually read it, or do you prefer to read the story without prior knowledge of it?

What are the pros and cons?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6319 comments I generally skim it, anyway. Just like the back of a paperback. My pet peeve with libraries is them putting stickers all over the back of books so you can't read the blurb. I HATE that.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Always. I have to have some idea if this is a book I'll like.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hmmm, maybe I'll give in, follow your lead, and read the flap and the reviews/descriptions of my current book, _The Plague of Doves A Novel_.
At least I'll get a handle on what it's all about. After 40 pages I still can't figure out what it's about. Shouldn't a book be more readable than that! IMO, it should. How much of a build-up does the beginning of a story need? Pardon me, but I'm getting annoyed with this book. LOL

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments That's one of the things that will make me hate a book. I can't even have a conversation with someone who doesn't get to the point, there's not way I can tolerate a book that drags on about nothing.
That's why I have favorite authors, I know their style and they know who to get my attention right away and hold it through-out.

The Book Flaps aren't always the best judge of a book, they make it sound interesting, otherwise who'd buy the book. This happened to me with The Road and The Historian.

The only purpose the book flaps serve for me is to see if I'm even interested in the subject. It's not going to let me know if it well-written. If I'm not interested in the Book Flap, how will I ever be interested in the book itself?

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 08:00AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote:
"If I'm not interested inthe BookFlap,how will I ever be interested in the book itself?"

It could happen that the book flap's blurb might not make fully make evident the "atmosphere" in the book and the style of the author. In that case, the book might be better than the book flap leads you to believe.

Of course, contrarily, the book might turn out to be worse than the flap indicates.

IMO, you never really know until you read the book itself.

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Feb 04, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Joy,
It's true that the flap can be misleading, but it's all I really have to make a decision about a buying a book.
Of all the friends I have who read, there is only one that I share the same taste and ratings with. When she recommends a book, I read it because I know she knows what I like.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 02:47PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Of all the friends I have who read, there is only one that I share the same taste and ratings with. When she recommends a book, I read it because I know she knows what I like."

Isn't it great to find someone who is on the same "wave length" as you are!
It's almost like a miracle. LOL

I once found the following relevant quote:
=========================================================
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
'What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
-C.S. Lewis
=========================================================
I love that quote.

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:02PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Amy wrote: "I agree with Jackie. I never base a book on someone elses opinion."

Another well-known proverb comes to mind:
"One man's meat is another man's poison."
:)

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments And: One man's trash is another man's treasure.

message 11: by Jackie (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:10PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments It is nice when that happens, when we instantly click with another person.

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:09PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "And: One man's trash is another man's treasure."

LOLOL. Good one, Jackie! :)

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:43PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments "One man's beard is on fire, and another man warms his hands on it."
-Proverb
LOL

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I don't like to read too much on a flap, sometimes they tell more than I care to know-I want to READ the book LOL I have to "feel" something from a book, either the cover, the author, a recommendation, an ad, etc but very very rarely will the book flap make me pick or not pick a book....

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky wrote: "I don't like to read too much on a flap, sometimes they tell more than I care to know-I want to READ the book LOL I have to "feel" something from a book, either the cover, the author, a recommenda..."

Yes, for some reason I avoid the flap until after I've read the book. As Becky says, they might tell us more than we want to know. I want to judge for myself. If an author is good, he/she doesn't need a big introduction. His/her words will speak for themselves.

I think I've finally found a book which is compelling me to read it. The book is: _Eldercide_ by Julie Lomoe (one of the Mavens of Mayhem)*. It's a mystery. I like her style of writing and she puts the hook in right away. So this is a relief from the other book which I'm plowing through.

*See more about the Mavens of Mayhem at: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 16: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Jackie wrote: "That's one of the things that will make me hate a book. I can't even have a conversation with someone who doesn't get to the point, there's not way I can tolerate a book that drags on about nothin..."
Exactly! I read the book flap when browsing in the library to decide it I want to take the book out. Some blurbs go on and on about what some reviewer says about the book. What I want to know is WHAT THE BOOK IS ABOUT! Many times when I reach the end of the blurb, and they haven't TOLD ME ANYTHING, I get so irritated I shelve the book and ignore it from then on. Unless I hear it's so popular on GoodReads that I can't ignore it.

message 17: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl, I agree. These blurbs should get to the point... fast! I think they try to make them sound "literary". But sometimes everyday speech can make a point faster.