Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > New kind of binding - is there an English name for it?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (spriggana) | 29 comments I do not now how this kind of binding is called in english, or if it even exists out there...

It appeared this year in Poland, it's sort of cross of paperback and hardcover. The cover is flexible, but thicker then in paperback, and usually has flaps. Also the books are stitched, not glued.

In Polish this kind of binding is called "oprawa zintegrowana", which translates literally as "integrated biding" so I put "Integrated" as the format description, but have no idea if this is the right term (tried wikipedia, but did not find nything about this kind of binding)

Look at the photos for a better idea how does a book with this kind binding looks:

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Hmm, looks kind of hardback-like. Professionally I usually describe these as hardcovered as being not paper-y, but even in the library world there still seems to be very little active guidance on this! More advice please indeed...!

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Could it be this?

"Cardboard Article:

The cardboard article bound book looks like a hardbound book but, in fact, is not. It is actually a paperback book with hardback covers. Many books that are sold on the market as hardbound books are, in reality, cardboard article books.

The cardboard article binding process binds the paperback to its more durable cover with a thermal adhesive using a perfect binding machine."

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (spriggana) | 29 comments Not a cardbord article for sure.
The books I am talking about are stitched, not glued. So it's more like a hardcover book with paperback covers, not the other way around . :-)

message 5: by Coqueline (last edited Sep 10, 2012 06:04AM) (new)

Coqueline | 33 comments I think they are called French flaps. I would still categorise the book as paperback, since it does still have softcover.

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (spriggana) | 29 comments From what i see on this page "French flaps" are one of the features of the "integrated" binding, but not the defining one (they are quite common in Poland in regular glued paperbacks).

Still I would like to acknowledge the difference between traditional paperbacks and this version, but do not want to mess with descriptions to much.

Would "Stitched paperback" be acceptable as the format description, if no better term exists?

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments You could set the binding to Paperback and put "Oprawa zintegrowana" in the edition field, the way that leather-bound hardcovers get listed as Hardcover with "Leather-bound" in the edition field.

Or, if you're going to use a non-standard binding, you might as well just use "Oprawa zintegrowana", at least for Polish-language editions. Anything other than the bindings listed in the drop-down gets handled as "other" anyway, so there's no particular benefit to using English over Polish if the people looking at the edition can be expected to understand Polish. Just calling it Other -> "Stitched paperback" wouldn't get it sorted with the paperbacks by format.

message 8: by vicki_girl (last edited Sep 10, 2012 07:06AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Cait wrote: "You could set the binding to Paperback and put "Oprawa zintegrowana" in the edition field..."

I concur with this. It's still a paperback/softcover, regardless of how it's constructed.

FYI, Leather Bound is available a choice from the drop down menu. ;)

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Personally, I'd list it as paperback, and include the other info in the description field.

message 10: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments "Leather Bound" has a different meaning though; I have leather bound books and they are just that; covers are leather and standard book bindings. More often vintage, but some special editions today are also leather bound.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments vicki_girl wrote: "FYI, Leather Bound is available a choice from the drop down menu. ;) "

Is it now? Well, assume I used some other example that works out the same then. ;)

message 12: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (spriggana) | 29 comments OK, that does look like the best solution so I have changed the format to "Paperback" and put "stitched / oprawa zintegrowana" into the "Edition" field.

message 13: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments I concur with the Paperback and adding more description in the edition field.

message 14: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (spriggana) | 29 comments I’m excavating a really old thread – looks like the new kind of binding is now available more widely, and it got a proper name in English: flexibound. Would it be possible to add it to the list of available formats?

back to top