UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > English - it's a funny old language isn't it

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 10, 2012 12:32AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I was just listening to the radio it it made me think....

Determined is the negative of termined and I assume terminal is the derivative so to be determined is rightly 'not terminal'

So how does that work with flammable and inflammable?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments You get burned up by both of them.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments I feel sorry for people trying to learn to speak English - plough, through, though, rough

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments How many meanings can you think of for the single word : bow?

(Not to be confused with bough, which sounds identical, of course)

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Will wrote: "How many meanings can you think of for the single word : bow?

(Not to be confused with bough, which sounds identical, of course)"

Well, there's
bow, wot you shoot an arrow with.
bow, wot you screech across the strings of a fiddle
bow, wot you take in front of an audience
bow, wot you tie in a ribbon
bow, at the pointy end of a boat

There's probably others. And that's just the nouns...!

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9087 comments I'm quite glad I learnt it without noticing as I grew up!

But English is of course extraordinarily rich, with I believe a bigger vocabulary than any other comparable labguage. Users - writers and speakers - have a rich pot of German/saxon and Norman/ French roots to work with, as well as Gaelic, Irish, Scots, and now English is so international that new vocab is being added all the time. Plus of course extra words by G. Bush.

So i suppose we're just really lucky

message 7: by Will (last edited Sep 10, 2012 01:59AM) (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments And i'd add : having outwardly curved legs, cf a goalkeeper or a piece of furniture; or a particular shape for a window.

It must be down to our work ethic that we make words do many things!

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments You try explaining 'razed to the ground' to someone who doesn't have English as their first language ;-)

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments See that tree? Chop it down and when you've done that, chop it up.

You've got to be 'in the gang' to know how to make sense of that!

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments And that bit on the end... chop it off.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments such a lot of cunning linguists in our group. ;-)

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments Always worth remembering that English really doesn't have the monopoly on this kind of thing. Consider the word 'dont' in French.

message 13: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "such a lot of cunning linguists in our group. ;-)"

I hope there's not a mod watching! Oh! ;)

message 14: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Yeah, but it's my language, so watch your lip.

*Shaves head, gets drunk, shouts at foreign people*

message 15: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Andrew wrote: "Always worth remembering that English really doesn't have the monopoly on this kind of thing. Consider the word 'dont' in French."

I make it a strict rule to avoid french. Unless drunk.

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments Will wrote: "I make it a strict rule to avoid french. Unless drunk."

Your loss...

message 17: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Oh yes. I remember explaining a few English meanings to a German friend and explaining things to one of the Polish doctors I work with.

My sister teaches English and she sent an essay back unmarked once when someone submitted it in text speak. That annoys me, especially when shops and such attempt to be "trendy."

One think I get mixed up are "bear" and "bare."
Big furry creature
Carrying an item or fruit
Naked or sparse.

I have to look that up every time.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments So a bare bear bearing fruit would really confuse you!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Bare with me.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Bare with me."

You going for a sauna?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Teaching idioms is one of my favourite EAL lessons. (English as an Additional Languge)

I had a great book and tape resource that I used to use...

Wonder whatever happened to it.

School here is AMAZING! There's an entire department devoted to English language support, separate from Learning Support.

I could quite happily work in their marketing department. I wonder if they have one.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Bare with me."

You going for a sauna?"

Dogging.

message 23: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited Sep 10, 2012 06:38AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I'm sure you could persuade them to have one.

Marketing department that is...

message 24: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "So a bare bear bearing fruit would really confuse you!"

Hahaha yes it would.
A bare bear bearing bare fruit would be worse:)

message 25: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "So a bare bear bearing fruit would really confuse you!"

A bare bear bearing fruit would barely confuse me...