Brain Pain discussion

Hopscotch
This topic is about Hopscotch
Hopscotch - Spine 2012 > Discussion - Week Five - Hopscotch - Chapter sequence 73 - 17

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
This discussion covers Chapter Sequence 73 – 17

73-1-2-116-3-84-4-71-5-81-74-6-7-8-93-68-9-104-10-65-11-136-12-106-13-115-14-114-117-15-120-16-137-17

We begin now with our second reading. At first, the new chapters seem to be added thoughts from Oliveira, possibly journal entries or random notes. Chapter 120 is something different though – possibly a memory fragment from LaMaga’s post-rape encounters with Ireneo.

Are you seeing new or different things on this second reading? Is the additional material useful and/or an improvement to the story?

aPriL does feral sometimes  (CheshireScratch) For me, no to all of your questions, Jim, except for the new ending. The changed ending diminished the story in its energy level (never above tepid in the first place, but I don't think dramatic exposition was the point overall). Instead of a eye-opening, if unsettled (did he jump and die or didn't he?), finality, you get a more ironic existential ending, I think.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
aPriL MEOWS often with scratching wrote: "For me, no to all of your questions, Jim, except for the new ending. The changed ending diminished the story in its energy level (never above tepid in the first place, but I don't think dramatic ex..."

What did you think of Ch. 120? Was it a kind of Stockholm Syndrome interest in Ireneo after he raped her? Was she watching him to try and understand him?

aPriL does feral sometimes  (CheshireScratch) I didn't understand Chapter 120 as a memory by La Maga, I took it as an actual event in Ireneo's life. It served to throw light on the rapist's thinking, in my thinking. My reaction was, 'the effing psychopath.' He was avidly feeding a bug to other bugs, and imagining it being torn apart with pincers. I was expecting the author to include chapters illuminating the past, since he was including other chapters that appeared to be more like flashbacks.

La Maga got sympathy from two of the Serpent Club members but none from Oliveira, in my opinion. La Maga seemed to initially be horrified by the rape at that time of the rape, but she seemed more resigned to rape as being one of those things when she related it to the club. Did it affect her more than this? Who knows? The book seemed more about Oliveira's mind consistently, while the others were allowed only snippets of revealing behavior or thinking. La Maga seemed to me as someone developing into a stronger person based on her desire to develop her mind and create a new life, but being used abominably by some members of the Serpent Club and her own inexperience seemed to set her back severely. I don't think she committed suicide though.

message 5: by Jim (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
aPriL MEOWS often with scratching wrote: "I didn't understand Chapter 120 as a memory by La Maga, I took it as an actual event in Ireneo's life. It served to throw light on the rapist's thinking, in my thinking. My reaction was, 'the effi..."

Right, I see now that it is Ireneo's memory from long before the rape. A kind of time travel back to the formative years. At first I thought it was LaMaga's memory - I read it too fast...