The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > How is no tv week going?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments So far it is going fine with me. Not that the outside world doesn't have its stresses, traffic, and other distractions but I've enjoyed the peace of no tv. :)

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hmatkins) I"m doing ok. I actually started on Sunday, not on purpose but just because I had so much homework to do. I think everything is going fine because I have lots to do. but I have found that I'm not studying in my living room (where my TV is) but instead in my bedroom, just to keep me from temptation. I do have to say that I have gotten much more of my homework finished and even finished a book. :)

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 199 comments I'm doing good. Loads of things to read, see, feel and do.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

So far, it hasn't been a problem for me, although I didn't get any more work done. (Quite on the contrary.. had other reasons, though)

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 04, 2009 05:54PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Since I don't have cable, and my options are severely limited with an antennae (even with the new digital converter box) we don't watch much tv anyway since the networks tend to cancel anything that's good. The only thing we regularly tune into each week (for the kids sake) is WWE Friday Night Smackdown on MyTV. Otherwise, it's movies on VHS or DVD, if we watch at all (we try to have a family movie night on saturday nights). Lately I've been checking out the entire 4 season set of BBC's P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster from the local library. So other than 2 hours on friday nights (4 if I watch the BBC sit-coms later that night), we don't watch tv.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments It will be hard tonight--Lost is on.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments I admit it.... I broke down... Destination Truth's season premier is on and I feel bad... So I had to come on and confess to you guys that I am watching T.V... But only this one show! :-(

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie | 511 comments I love TIVO! I am also cheating in a way.... I have Seinfeld from the library but it is due back in a few days and I waited forever for it so I have to watch it. Does DVD count?

message 9: by Antonio (new)

Antonio | 6 comments I want to encourage you to kill your TV. I've been off TV for 2 years now, and the quality of my life has absolutely improved. TV is 90% Commercial advertisements for things you don't need. 98% of TV is a waste of your time. There is about 2% of TV that is amazing, educational, entertaining, wholesome, productive and/or worthwhile. Is that 2% worth all the negatives that go with it? Plus I am saving a good $1,0000 a year! That's like $1,400 before tax earnings! There are free websites if yuo want to keep up with one or two good shows or educational programming.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Could you recommend a website, Antonio? I knew quite some, but they were all shut down. I do own a TV, but I have schedule problems - whenever I have time to watch, there aren't any good shows on.

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments I wonder what it would be like to permanently get rid of the tv/??? intriguing

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 511 comments I could never do that! NEVER!

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hmatkins) I agree with you Angie. It would be very hard for me to give up TV permanently. I got Tivo about three months ago and consequently have narrowed down what I watch so that I am only watching what I want to watch. But spending this week without TV has helped me see that I tend to use TV for down time... comparative to reading "fluff" books. I think I've just seen that, as with most things, I need to take TV in moderation and not let it rule my life.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) If you to the websites for the major networks, like abc.com, they let you view some full episodes of current shows airing. Usually this season and sometimes previous seasons are online but they will sometimes change what's available too.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Well, while I totally support the idea of limited TV viewing and tend to agree that a lot of what is on TV is total garbage and advertising ploys, I do think it's a bit funny that this discussion is happening on a site that is founded because of our united love for a TV show! ;-> I think many of us would agree that we spent some very good hours of our life in front of the telly with our dear Gilmore Girls.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kathryn wrote: "Well, while I totally support the idea of limited TV viewing and tend to agree that a lot of what is on TV is total garbage and advertising ploys, I do think it's a bit funny that this discussion i..."

Very true. But as I said in my post earlier, all the good shows tend to get cancelled!! When I am watching tv, it's usually from my home collection rather than something new. I've got a full set of Gilmore Girls DVDs, a season of Magnum P.I., watching the entire four seasons one at a time (from the library) of BBC's P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster. Just nothing new on worth watching. Too much reality tv. And 75% of what's on scripted tv (or more) is either a medical, legal or crime drama. That's one of the reasons I loved the Gilmore Girls, it was something else - an enjoyable family show. There is so much on tv I won't let my kids watch.

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie | 511 comments Kathryn that was good!

message 18: by Jessica (last edited Feb 08, 2009 04:34PM) (new)

Jessica | 100 comments So after I posted last in this forum I went to work and when I came home we had no T.V., internet, or phone. I thought that it was very funny and that it had good timing! It took until just a few minuets ago for Charter to get out here to fix it. So I had 3 days to just read and visit with my husband. Believe it or not but I am SO glad that everything went out. We had the best time just being together reading, talking, playing games, and everything in between. I think that we are going to have at least one day out of the week, every week, with no T.V. :-)

message 19: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments The week went well for me...got more reading, piano playing, and exercise in. I made a point not to increase computer time to compensate for no tv time. :)

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 199 comments The week was good. I read a thick book about Enigma.

message 21: by Monika (new)

Monika (monikaklak) It was actually easy to not watch tv. Great week.

message 22: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 11, 2009 10:42AM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments When I do the "technology-free evenings" on occasion, TVs and computers are on the same level. Basically, anything with a screen is out! For me, there is just something about the light and eye movement, etc. that is really draining and taking a break even for one evening can be really rejuvenating! :->

message 23: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments I agree..I've found that if I watch tv or stare at the computer screen before bed, I sometimes can't go to sleep.