Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Deleting Books from Listopia

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 15 comments I always thought it was GR policy to leave books on Listopias unless they were grossly miscategorized. I logged into Best Paranormal & Fantasy Romances, a Listopia I had created today to discover that someone had changed the list description to state that if the book was part of a series to only add the first book of the series and then proceeded to delete well over 200 books from the list that weren't the first in a series without ever asking me. Based on their bookshelves, they don't even appear to be a fan of the genre either. The changes were made about two months ago, but I hadn't noticed earlier due to not having read any books lately that fit the list.

Needless to say this is rather upsetting because thousands of people have voted on this list and now their votes are gone. Is there any way to recover the lost votes? If not, would I be operating within the rules and spirit of GR to re-add some of the books. I have no idea all of the ones were deleted though, so I could only speak to the ones I had previously added.

Also, I thought only librarians could make such changes, but I notice that the person who did this is not a librarian. Although I guess perhaps someone else may have reported this previously, causing the person to loose their librarian status.

Anyway, please let me know what I should do about this, if anything.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2439 comments Julie,

Yours wasn't the only list hit by this a couple of months ago. The original discussion from the librarian group is here, with links to appropriate feedback group discussions.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

There is no way to recover deletions that I am aware of. I see no problem with you changing the description back to the original and adding back in any books you originally added that were deleted.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 4674 comments I believe this is the same librarian who did similar to several lists around that time and it was reported. The member appears to not have librarian status any more.

message 4: by Julianna (last edited Sep 09, 2012 06:45PM) (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 15 comments Thanks for the info, ladies! Yep, looks like one of the serial deleters mentioned in that other post is the same one who hit my list.

So frustrating that we can't get all those votes back. I noticed another person from a list that was hit who said the list was demolished, and that's basically how I'm feeling right now. I'm going to re-add the books I know were there, and delete her first in a series comment. Since I can't contact over 3500 people to let them know their votes have been tampered with, I think I'll also put a note in the description to encourage voters to re-add books that have been deleted.