Shakespeare Fans discussion

Hello and I need some advice

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B. P. (new)

B. P. Rinehart (ken_moten) | 72 comments I just joined here and since I am a big fan of The Bard of Stafford-upon-Avon I thought that this would be a good place to ask what I should check out next.

The three plays I have in mind are Richard III since I have already watched the documentary Looking For Richard, Henry V, or The Taming of the Shrew. Thank you in advance.

message 2: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 85 comments Ken wrote: "I just joined here and since I am a big fan of The Bard of Stafford-upon-Avon I thought that this would be a good place to ask what I should check out next.

The three plays I have in mind are Ric..."

If you're going to read the history plays, which are IMO very much under-appreciated, I suggest that you read them in their historical sequence (not in the order in which S wrote them). That way, they will make a lot more sense than jumping around in the history.

This would mean starting with Richard II, which is a marvelous play and very much a great place to start, then working through the Henrys IV, V, and VI, and ending with Richard III, a wonderful bookend to Richard II.

It would probably behoove you to get a bit of a background in the history which, of course, Shakespeare expected his audience to know very well. One excellent book, if you can find it, is Peter Saccio's Shakespeare's English Kings. But there are plenty of other very accessible books which will give you all the background you need: Norrie Epstein's The Friendly Shakespeare is just one of many such.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Maher (kathleenmaher) | 10 comments I'm behind you.

message 4: by B. P. (new)

B. P. Rinehart (ken_moten) | 72 comments Well I guess I should update now. I went ahead and skipped 'Shrew' and did The Merchant of Venice instead. I plan on next going to Henry V and than Richard III. Thanks for responding anyway...13 days later.