The Help The Help question

What do you think the lesson of this book was?
Victoria Victoria Sep 09, 2012 01:52PM
To be brave enough to stand up for yourself and others. To be equal.

Rachel (last edited Sep 09, 2012 02:00PM ) Sep 09, 2012 01:59PM   3 votes
That people with privilege need to realize that they were given an unfair amount of power in this world and should use that power not to maintain the status quo but to help others who have had their voices silenced by society.

Carol It has been a while since I read this book, but I loved it! I loved all the characters especially Minnie! I need to read it again for all the many les ...more
Oct 18, 2012 06:19PM · flag

I loved this book, but objectively, it's a bit trite to think a story about a group of working-class African-Americans triumphing over snotty, white superiority of the South in the 60s makes everything all right. It makes people feel good, like it will erase the wrongs done to our fellow human beings.

In reality, this book makes a striking point that for every one person oppressed, there were 20 behind them, equally oppressed. For each person that gets their due, hundreds more do not.

There is no equality in this book, only rebellion and a cry for help from people that are judged daily by others who think they are better than everyone else.

The lesson of this book, in my opinion, is to make people stop and actually listen to others. It doesn't eliminate the racial inequality of the times it represents and it doesn't eliminate it now.

It helps to give that inequality a voice. We have a long way to go until that voice is as loud as the one suppressing it, though.

Hate is taught, it is not something that we are born with. We can choose to have our own opinions or we can choose to take the easy path and not rock the boat.

To never eat a pie baked by someone you fired....I jest. Actually I enjoy what Jeni already said.

We are not all born equally but that doesn't mean we shouldn't treat each other as though.

to have the courage to be a voice. To stand up as an individual can make a difference, but when we stand together . . . Bare minimum it changes our lives

To always challenge the status quo.

Timia J Williams I agree but at the same time it was more or so to let people see that all that glitters doesn't shine. Those privilege people thought that they were p ...more
Jan 29, 2015 08:14PM · flag

Emma (last edited Sep 10, 2012 07:44AM ) Sep 10, 2012 07:42AM   0 votes
Wealth is not just financial. It's in the loved ones you have and cherish, your emotional comfort and your level of happiness; AND to assume a hierarchal position in the world as you see it, for whatever reason (race / class / gender, etc), and putting yourself above OR below your contemparies is wrong on so many levels..

Also, no one is completely perfect, or indeed completely happy. An out-streched hand can make a world of difference.

The underlying, invisible message of 'the help' is that white people already stopped racism and you don't need to do anything about it because you cried when you read this book because you are a good person.

I think the lesson we should all learn is that if you want help with using a website about books or you can't remember the name of a book you once read, using this book just because it has the word help in the title is only irritating. And, anyway, it's THE Help, not just Help.

We are NOT born with prejudice in our souls, but that acquired ideology permeates humanity, takes many forms and focuses on different people or beliefs.

A book like The Help can at least help us realize the consequences of prejudice, make us realize that there are people who can be terribly abused by that ideology/behavior. Help us realize whether or not WE have behaved unfairly toward someone unintentionally or unfairly. It can help us to recognize when we have been the target of society's ill-conceived prejudices or to recognize whether our own behavior nurtures that ideology or strives to put an end to it.

A book like The Help can bring the subject up from the darkness and allow us to examine our personal perceptions. I like to think that 'someone' might be encouraged to examine what they may have been taught or what they might have experienced in their life. Perhaps it will offer an opportunity for understanding and/or change on either side of some prejudice.

Some form of prejudice will always exist, but we must try to rise above that limitation.

To love yourself and know you ARE important and smart and beautyfull and... nomather what other people might say!

What I took away from the book was from Skeeter's point of view. She was the first one in her town to acknowledge how bad things really were, and she was motivated to do something about using her passion for writing. It's implied that the book changed some peoples' attitudes in the town. I think that, just from examining Skeeter, one message from the book was to take action in whatever way you can when you realize an injustice. I think the way every character develops has its own message, but I feel like Skeeter's is the most important because she came from a "privileged" family and still didn't agree with the way "the help" was being treated. She decided to put off romance in favor of standing up for what she believed in. She did something that very few women at the time did - she wrote professionally. And she loved Aibileen more dearly than her own mother. As you can see through the other children Aibileen watched, that was not terribly uncommon for the time, when "privileged" women preferred to play the social angle than care for their own kids. For every maid there are little triumphs, like Minnie and her pie for instance; but I think we see the message of the book most clearly in Skeeter, who bravely worked on what needed to be done, and who gave others the strength to help her.

I wish we could see the kind of change Skeeter invoked, as described in The Help, in modern day society.

To have faith and stand up for what's important. Not to let others walk all over you. Believe

I think the underlying lesson is that no matter how we are treated, or how dark a person's life seems, there is hope. Hope that things will change and hope that you can help make that change. The characters all had something in their lies that kept them; Aibelene hoped that her new writings would make a difference, Skeeter hoped for new beginnings in New York, Minnie hoped for a better life for her family. Everyone had something to hope for.