The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for? The Purpose Driven Life question

Bored With This One
deleted member (last edited Sep 08, 2012 07:44PM ) Sep 08, 2012 07:31PM
I really didn't get anything out of this book.

I read the first chapter, skimmed through a few more, got bored (YaWn), and put it down forever.

I'm not saying it's not a good book.

I just didn't enjoy it.

I love this book, and pick it up when I feel I need a "pick me up".

I like what someone said before, it's not for 'baby Christians' (what a dumb term), it's for lazy ones. It's for those ready to get back into the game of truly serving and thinking beyond "me". When you are done with the rat race of life, tired of driving your kids to 10,000 events, annoyed with the routine of the week, and wonder, "why are we doing this?", that is when this book makes sense. I think that book is the book that got me motivated to re-evaluate what we do as a family. We did not transform overnight, but we do analyze what we are going to do, what we are going to purchase, and if it is worth our time and money, and what purpose will this item/event serve. If we keep selecting things that serve the same purpose, then we are unbalanced as a family.

I too thought it was too simplistic...and thought that it would be deeper by virtue of the title. I read in the earlier comments that this would be more for a young Christian...but could be even too simplistic there too.

I got so much out of this book!! It was a constant inspiration, makes me want to praise the Lord and live for him!! I suggest this book to both believers and non believers. Let go and let God!

The book is written for people who are looking for God's purpose in their lives. Many people do not bother with such thoughts. They grind through their days without lifting their eyes to look. They live and die and never ask why.

deleted member Sep 16, 2012 01:05PM   1 vote
this is a very good book ove life,,i was born for something

This book is so simple yet profound. The first sentence of the book was "It's not about me." which is counter-culture from what media was telling us.

I didn't try to read it all at once a chapter at a time really, did finish too.

its a nice book, it gets us back on truck

I read this book a few years ago. I cannot remember a lot about it any more. However, I will say that I enjoyed it and thought it was good at the time. I thought it was helpful. Anything that helps people seek Christ, or think about Him more, whether it is simple, complex, whatever, if it is pointing anyone to Christ, it is a good thing.

I guess my comment is the opposite of all the rest. This book, when I was student pastoring while in seminary, served its purpose because the members of the church were baby Christians and it helped them understand that their purpose in life was not just to go to church- usher, sing in the choir and count money. I think I rated it a 5 because the people were blessed.

I made it a little further, really not a very good book. Then again, I'm the wrong audience.

I bought a copy when this book made the news a few years ago. it had so much hype it got my interest I tried to read it but got tired of it after a few chapters.

The Purpose Driven Life (2002) is a devotional book written by Christian author Rick Warren and published by Zondervan. The book has been on the New York Times Best Seller list for advice books for one of the longest periods in history, while also topping the Wall Street Journal best seller charts as well as Publishers Weekly charts with over 30 million copies sold by 2007.

It is a great read for every believer!

We are all at different levels in our Christian walk. When I read the Purpose Driven Life it was exactly what I needed for that time. Never stop growing in the Lord. The great thing about God is that He accepts us right where we are.

deleted user wrote: "I really didn't get anything out of this book.

I read the first chapter, skimmed through a few more, got bored (YaWn), and put it down forever.

I just didn't..."

same here. :/ I thought it was a bit redundant.

Most everyone in the study group I read it with found it too simplistic and didn't enjoy it much. But an older woman new to the faith found it really helpful to her understanding of the basics.

It has been quite a while since I read this title, but do remember that it sparked interesting discussion in our Bible study group. It can spark self-examination when one is ready for introspection.

We were asked to read it for lent in our church. It was not an enjoyable read and I won't be reading it again.

I see lots of comments that this book was boring. maybe you weren't opening your eyes really well. live this book like how you live the Bible. this is not just a simple read and enjoy.

I never got excited about it. Content seemed sound enough - after all, it was just Acts 2:42-47 rehashed - but I found it too slanted towards a megachurch view of life to capture my imagination.

A lot of it is common sense. It becomes a little redundant.

The Purpose Driven Life is for a young/new believer. If you are just starting the Christian life, you will get a lot out of this book. If you have walked with the Lord for a number of years, it is like eating pablum--baby food. But your Christians need milk if they are going to grow. There is a definite need for books of this nature to help a believer walk and grow in the spirit.

You must realize that it is not written to entertain lfe but to change lives. I hope you will give it another shot.

I read it last year and thought it was a great book. I do agree with some that it would be a great book for a study and discussion group. The book stresses the importance of trusting God. No it is not the type of book that will excite you but is full of good and helpful information for all Christians .

It serves its purpose and for those who are aware... it's just reineration but for those seeking... it's a good book tobuild a good foundation.

Our fellowship group read this book for 40 weeks -- one chapter per week! And we'd lots of fun and learning thru discussion, debate and sharing our life stories.
I noticed that this book uses a lot of bible quotes from a Bible version called "The Message" Bible, by Pastor Eugene Peterson. And it leads me to read more and more books by Pastor Peterson -- you will never get bored by his writing!! I am reading Peterson's book, Traveling Light, now. Excellent, excellent, excellent book on "Freedom" as a Christian.

Allison Kohn it makes the message clear
Nov 16, 2013 03:23PM · flag

Hello, this is a book that is intended to touch the inside of a person. The main purpose being to get us to 're-think our thoughts of what we may see as significance. I feel the best way to read this book, I feel,is with a group of others to discuss with as you go through it. It really helps open our minds to a purposeful life.

It lost me after the first few words (not even Chapter one yet): "Whenever HGod wanted to prepare someone for His purposes, he took 40 days."

Really? I can name many examples where that is not true. Even the examples do not hold water.Noah's life was transformed long before the rain came. Which trip to Mt. Sinai transformed Moses? The disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus? Why did Peter wait for Pentecost for his sermon?

I just finished this last night with my sister. It helped us get closer to God and incorporate him in our day to day lives. It helped me so much I am going to try to get my whole family to read it :)

To be honest, it was such a long time ago I read this book, that I now can't really say how it now went? However, reading the comments here, it 'rang a bell' and I believe I was also wasn't too impressed with it.

deleted user wrote: "I really didn't get anything out of this book.

I just didn't..."

I agree BORING!

I read this book, I made a review and it was all fun

An important book for our time. The point is that we were saved to serve, not saved to sit. The book got me off the bench and into the game. I was not a baby Christian (hate that phrase), but had become a lazy one.

...wasn't so probably because i got to read this when everyone was reading this. I don't think i will read this again though.

I read it the first time and didn't get a whole lot out of it. I was sent by my church to a Purpose DRiven Church conference and was WOWed. Came back ready to roll with the program; they weren't interested.

The new revised or updated version of PDL is much better than the first version, I think.

Actually yes.

I think the saddest part is that the focus, while claiming to be God-centered, was on what "we do." Thus, "practical" is an description, but ... grace is at best a "helper pill" to do more. I think Jesus Paul would have a problem with that approach.

Allison (last edited Jul 24, 2013 01:25PM ) Jul 23, 2013 07:52PM   0 votes
We used it as a discussion book in a reading group in my church - Presbyterian - and we all loved it.
The focus was on God - your life is not about you, your purpose is to reflect God's glory to the world as a true witness of what He is like. We liked it because it reminded us of a very basic Christian truth: The chief end of man (and women and children) is to glorify God.

The problem I have with books of this type is they can lead us to trust in a program or set of actions for our spiritual growth instead of trusting the Spirit to guide us. If we use them as a companion to the Spirit and Word they are ok.

Ehh it was not that great to me.

Have you considered the new version that has QR codes to videos for each chapter? Maybe you would enjoy the video content. Just a thought.

I read this book in my adult Sunday School class several years ago. I was offended by the author's implication that he "knows" what God is thinking, what He wants, etc. He seemed entirely too chauvinistic. By the time we were finished, I had highlighted many sections of the book that I thought were either ridiculously basic or entirely offensive. I put it in a garage sale when I was finished. No one bought it.

I am sad to admit that this is considered a good "christian" book by many people. It is too simple and boring. Seems like we are dumbing everything down, it is just sad.

Alice I thought it was a very helpful book. Yes there is no action or excitement, but it was not menat to be that way. I think it is a very good book for ne ...more
Dec 15, 2013 03:59PM · flag