ROBUST discussion

Author to Author > What's the best way to go into print?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments I've had a number of people ask me to go into print - people who have already read the books, but want them on the shelf anyway. Yesterday I lost a new sale on one of the Goodreads groups because the lady wanted a paper copy and it wasn't available. I've thought about Createspace, but with prohibitive postage from the US to Australia, I don't know if it would be viable. But getting a book printed by a printer here in Oz would mean people overseas couldn't get them without the extra cost. Plus, it would cost me a packet to do. Any ideas?

message 2: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
I've found CreateSpace the cheapest. I have lots of local printers who'd love to do me a favour, but even their favours won't beat CreateSpace prices. I order two copies every time I order proofs and I used to take the special offer of paying something up front (either 19 or 39 US dollars, can't now remember) and then getting lower prices forever. Anyway, it came to about 60 euro including postage per book; you can't get two pages set for that in the trade. It's worth having print copies, in a very small way. There are a few hundred dollars sitting at CreateSpace because I haven't had time for formfilling. However, that wasn't enough to convince me that paperbacks are necessary beyond the two I already did. The amount of work involved in setting up a goodlooking book is a great deal more than making a decent ebook and substantial skills are required. (I'm the packager of a set of books to help people do exactly that, called Graphic Design in the Computer Age, see http://coolmainpress.com/andrejuteGDi... )

message 3: by Dakota (new)

Dakota Franklin (dakotafranklin) | 306 comments The amount of time that marketing electronic books takes is bad enough without adding another layer of complication.

message 4: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I had Create Space do the layout. I thought they did a great job on both books. They did the cover for "Let's Do Lunch" too.

I've sold 30 copies of "Let's Do Lunch" plus what I hand sold - another 20 copies, I think.

Check to see if they are in Australia yet. There is one in the UK and one in Europe.