What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Convergence (The Blending, #1)
This topic is about Convergence
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Name or author of a fantasy series [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyce (new)

Alyce | 4 comments A few years ago (3 to 5 years ago) I read this series of books, and I wanted to re- read them or see if the author had written anything else. The problem is I can't remember the names of the books, the name of the series Or the name of the author. I would recognize the books, but unfortunately the library is closed.
So does anyone recognize this story?

It is a fantasy series, starting off with each character having to go to this city for testing since it was discovered they have one of the elemental powers. Once they get there they are given the basic test then, after passing, are put in a house together and have to go through a series of more advanced tests. Which ever group "wins" becomes the rulers (or something)
After weeks of working together and testing the discover the tests are rigged so that the "elite" (wealthy) pass and the lesser (poorer) fail

The main characters- a guy that's grown up on a farm (has an earth elemental power) his father doesn't want him to go. A girl that was a courtesan who I think had a spirit magic, a girl that has fire magic, a rich guy that was supposed to be in the "richer" groups, but some plot got him put in the poorer group, and I'm pretty sure there was 2 more I'm not remembering

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (mcgraced) | 81 comments It sounds very similar to, but not quite like Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. If it isn't, I'd think you'd like it.

message 3: by Alyce (new)

Alyce | 4 comments Some added info. Their fist test happens when they where getting in their coaches to go to the city. A large ball of fire comes flying at them and they each have to escape it- they don't know this is part of their tests

message 4: by Alyce (new)

Alyce | 4 comments No, I'm familiar with Tamora Pierce (she's actually the author that convinced me reading was fun in 6th grade) These books were adult fiction, not young adult

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments I believe it could be this one Convergence

Actually I am pretty sure :)

message 6: by M (new) - rated it 3 stars

M Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "I believe it could be this one Convergence

Actually I am pretty sure :)"

Agreed. I read this post and said, Yup. That is "The Blending" series by Sharon Green - the first book is Convergence. Good series. The books are Convergence, Competitions, Challenges, Betrayals, and Prophesy. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51...)

As a side note, I was attracted to this book based on the cover art (yes :-). It is by one of my favorite fantasy artists Thomas Canty. If anyone has read the Patricia Kennelly books (Throne of Scone), he did the cover art for these books too. I always thought that if I get a book published, I want him to do the cover art :-)

message 7: by Alyce (new)

Alyce | 4 comments Thank You, yes that's it!!!!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Convergence (other topics)