Read by Theme discussion

Unwind (Unwind, #1)
This topic is about Unwind
Book Discussions > Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Varla Fiona (dory_42) If you weren't an organ donar before reading this, you probably will be afterwards. I already was...

The concept of the book is that abortion is not allowed, but you can have your child unwound between 12 & 18 if you choose. Unwinding involves using the entire child (organs, skin, etc) so it is not killing the child as such, but re-distributing the entire child (That's the concept in the book, though how you are not dead if your body is living in seperate locations across the planet I am still not sure.) Three children are on the run from the juvie-cops who track those who escape before they are unwound and each has a different reason. One is a kid who just seems to cause trouble so his parents signed up for him to be unwound instead of deal with the trouble he causes, one is an orphan who is a victim of budget cuts (she didn't have enough potential) and the last was born to be unwound, a tithe.

One of the side effects of unwinding is that very little corrective surgery is ever done, if it doesn't work, you just get a transplant. Don't like your eye colour, just get a transplant, etc. It's a freaky world where that is allowed to happen.

I really enjoyed the story and will read the sequel...

message 2: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Sounds like an interesting concept, for sure, but with a definite aura of squick I'd imagine would turn off some readers. Might look into this one a bit more.

Beate (Belarane) I think it sounds like an interesting story as well, so this is going in my to-read shelf.

Elizabeth Qualia | 15 comments I read this for Blue Covers. Ooh it was so intriguing and kinda creepy. I really liked it, and I thought the premise was fascinating. The fact that these laws were passed in order to appease both pro-life and pro-choice ideals really makes you think about our society and how our minds work. I'm looking forward to the sequel. I saw it in the bookstore the other day, but refrained from buying it.