Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > New at the Library

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Aren't we lucky to have libraries that allow us access to such a variety of reading materials, including eBooks, audio downloads, along with a multitude of print books of course!
I am grateful that libraries today keep up with the way we read and provide services to make it convenient and easy to access books and other media.
I noticed something new on my library website several weeks ago but hadn't taken the time to explore it until today. On the Nashville Public library site, on a book's Encore "page" (the new card catalog), along with the usual details about available copies, summaries and book data there is a link that opens a new dialog box with Goodreads readers reviews. Very cool!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments ..and speaking of libraries, for Library Saturday I have to return two unread (sad to do so, I will get them again!) and have two to pick up. (That seems almost fair)
Coming home with me are Kingdom of Strangers: A Novel mentioned by Shomeret recently in one of her monthly summaries, and The Absent One one which I have been eagerly awaiting publication.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 08, 2012 08:41PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments I had an unusually productive Library Saturday.. I actually returned more books than I took out! The one I picked up was a treasure, though... The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny. Woo-hoo! Unfortunately I just started Spilled Blood (which I'm enjoying) but I can't wait to reacquaint myself with my pals from Three Pines.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Good library math Carol! For the week my math was four back, two out, so good for me too. ;)

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I had an unusually productive Library Saturday.. I actually returned more books than I took out! The one I picked up was a treasure, though... The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny. Woo-hoo! Un..."

I just finished this today...Left me feeling so sad!!!! But wow...

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments I am still waiting for The Beautiful Mystery, but while I'm waiting I've just read A Trick of the Light. My F2F mystery group is reading The Cruelest Monthnext month and I am wondering if the character Myrna is in it.

Let me explain. Before this the only Louise Penny book that I read was Bury Your Deadwhich mostly didn't take place in Three Pines. What I saw of Three Pines in that book didn't interest me. I decided to read A Trick of the Light because it dealt with an artist. I enjoy reading books about artists. So I encountered Myrna and she interested me. Is she in all the previous Three Pines books or just some of them?

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Shomeret: I wish I could remember!
Shomeret wrote: "My F2F mystery group is reading The Cruelest Monthnext month and I am wondering if the character Myrna is in it."

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 12, 2012 04:42AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Shomeret wrote: "I am still waiting for The Beautiful Mystery, but while I'm waiting I've just read A Trick of the Light. My F2F mystery group is reading The Cruelest Monthnext month and I am wondering if the char..."

Shomeret, you mention being interested in the artists, so I wonder if you mean Clara Morrow, who is the painter in the series. (Her husband Peter is also a painter.) Myrna is her neighbor, the owner of the bookstore.

As I recall A Trick of the Light and the first in the series, Still Life are the ones that have Clara as central to the plot. In the others she will likely appear, sometimes more and sometimes less, depending on the mystery to be solved.

The ones where the crime takes place outside of Three Pines is less likely to have the residents of Three Pines appear much, although Gamache always seems to find a pretext to get down there at least a couple times a book, LOL. The other story, now that I think about it, that has the Morrows appear a lot, is A Rule Against Murder, but as the story takes place away from Three Pines (and away from Clara's studio) Clara's art is more tangential.

If I got it wrong and it really is Myrna you're interested in, you might try Amazon's "search" feature where one can look inside the book. I found this helpful in reminding me of who was who. You might do a search for "Myrna" in any of the books and see how soon and how much her name appears. That will tell you how central she is to the story. Same for Clara, of course.

If it is Myrna that you're interested in, one of the books goes a little more into her background (don't remember which), but not very much. I bet she will become central to some future story, we seem to learn about everyone in the village sooner or later.

Hope this helps.

edit: back to your original question, Myrna is certainly in The Cruelest Month, since it takes place in Three Pines