Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > Most Disappointing Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Gisbelle (last edited Sep 08, 2012 05:23PM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Have any of you ever experienced this kind of feeling that you couldn't wait to get your grabby little hands on one book expecting it would blow your mind and it turned out to be a fluke or at least not as good as you thought it would be?

If so, what are those books?

message 2: by Laura (last edited Sep 21, 2012 11:16AM) (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) I had that feeling for a book recently called 'Are You Going to Kiss Me Now?' and lets just say the title, cover and everything which I loved about it was deceiving. Still enjoyed the read yet not in the way I had hoped and disappointed, although none of it was really surprising while I was reading.

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments That was My Sister's Keeper for me.

I thought it had so much promise for the author to really have to make a tough decision and for the reader to have to read through it. Instead, I felt she took the easy road, and didn't have to choose either of the two evils.

message 4: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments @Laura ~ I see what you mean. It doesn't have nice cover and title.

@Trisha ~ I've watched the movie version. And I liked it, but not sure the book is as good or it's just me since I love the stories about cancer and family drama.

message 5: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols

I read last month. Actually, I gave it up after a few chapters. Maybe it's because I am not that into airplanes and this book focuses on flying. It was just so boring and confusing.

message 6: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Gisbelle wrote: "@Trisha ~ I've watched the movie version. And I liked it, but not sure the book is as good or it's just me since I love the stor..."

They changed the ending for the movie and many parts of the plot. The book and movie are pretty different. At least the movie sounds like it was good :)

message 7: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I see. Yeah... they ALWAYS make some adjustments for movies. Sometimes I like it, sometime I don't. Like Twilight, the movies are WAY better.

message 8: by Carly (new)

Carly Fries | 59 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I see. Yeah... they ALWAYS make some adjustments for movies. Sometimes I like it, sometime I don't. Like Twilight, the movies are WAY better."

You could put it that way...haha, but they make more than just "some adjustments." You should really read the book to see what Trisha means.

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Yeah, I haven't read the book yet :D ...

message 10: by Birdie (new)

Birdie (purple_feather22) | 294 comments Its rare for me to hate a book but a few weeks ago I read Touch and absolutely hated it. I couldn't seem to connect with any of the characters and was confused about some of the relationships. Then half way though the book there was a change in the main character Dez that completely turned me off. I did finish the book but I was really close to putting it down and never picking it up again. This book had the potential to be really good but fell short in a lot of ways.

message 11: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I really hate that when we don't feel any connection with the characters. Good for you to finish the book. Normally, if I don't like a book, I either skim the book or just give up. I should change that :) So it goes in my New Year Resolutions :D

message 12: by Allie (new)

Allie Fleenor (dalmatian98) | 5 comments The Lovely Bones

message 13: by Krishna (new)

Krishna Bajaria (krishnabajaria) | 36 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I see. Yeah... they ALWAYS make some adjustments for movies. Sometimes I like it, sometime I don't. Like Twilight, the movies are WAY better."

True.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiehodgkinson) I just finished reading The Knife of Never Letting Go
I was expecting great things from this and with such an interesting storyline I was disappointed that more wasn't made of it. Just didn't do anything for me - I found it boring, predictable and the characters were annoying.

message 15: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Katie wrote: "I just finished reading The Knife of Never Letting Go
I was expecting great things from this and with such an interesting storyline I was disappointed that more wasn't made of it. Just didn't do an..."

a bit surprised hearing that from you. I heard people said a lot of good things about the book. But yeah, I've been fooled because of book popularity before.

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiehodgkinson) Gisbelle wrote: "Katie wrote: "I just finished reading The Knife of Never Letting Go
I was expecting great things from this and with such an interesting storyline I was disappointed that more wasn't made of it. Jus..."

The ending was good enough for me to get the next book, but I'm not holding high hopes. Then again, I've heard mixed reviews on the book as well, some people hate it and some people love it. I guess I'm in the former category if I had to be put in one.

message 17: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) | 707 comments Envy by Gregg Olsen The worst and most disappointing murder mystery/thriller I have ever read. The prologue was good, and that's it. The ending was just ridiculous.

message 18: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Mara wrote: "Envy by Gregg OlsenThe worst and most disappointing murder mystery/thriller I have ever read. The prologue was good, and that's it. The ending was just ridiculous."

I guess you won't read book 2, right?

Angel / YA rules!/ | 123 comments My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares , I pity the characters.

message 20: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares, I pity the characters."

You don't like the book?

message 21: by Angel / YA rules!/ (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:54PM) (new)

Angel / YA rules!/ | 123 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Angel / YA rules!/ wrote: "My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares, I pity the characters."

You don't like the book?"

First, the names are the same in Fallen. The plot, even though they're not angels, is pretty much the same. But, I hated the ending the most. It's like going through a lot of hurdles and in the end, is still pretty much pointless. Imagine, going through a lot of lifetimes and you still can't be together. That's just harsh.

message 22: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Oh, I see. I hate the books with meaningless ending. I remember someone had recommended this book to me.

Angel / YA rules!/ | 123 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Oh, I see. I hate the books with meaningless ending. I remember someone had recommended this book to me."

Oooppsss, sorry if I ruined it for you. =)

message 24: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Nah, better know it now than to be disappointed later :D

Angel / YA rules!/ | 123 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Nah, better know it now than to be disappointed later :D"

yea, but it's also possible that we'd have different opinion about the book. you might like it. =)

message 26: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments You sure??? Maybe I'll try :D

Angel / YA rules!/ | 123 comments Gisbelle wrote: "You sure??? Maybe I'll try :D"

i won't recommend it. but, i really hope you enjoy it. let me know what you think if you get around to reading it.

message 28: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments sure sure :)

message 29: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Two that immediately come to mind are Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire and The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass. I was so excited to read them and then ended up really not liking them :("

lol... I like the Selection. Yes, it may not be a serious dystopian book, but I thought it was entertaining. Some parts of the book were a little bit annoying, so I guess that's what made you didn't like it :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 29, 2012 09:06AM) (new)

The first book I think of when I think disappointing book is Tokyo Heist by Diana Renn I loved the premise when I read it on the internet but It turned out to be, well, a disappointment :(

message 31: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Garry wrote: "The first book I think of when I think disappointing book is Tokyo Heist I loved the premise when I read it on the internet but It turned out to be, well, a disappointment :("

I know what you mean, Gerry. I used to experience the same thing with Such a Rush.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiehodgkinson) I'm sad to say Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth for me! *winces*

It just didn't live up to the hype and the amazingness of the first book in my opinion.

message 33: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol... Shiver? Is that the one we have for the next month group read? Someone told me it was good :)

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiehodgkinson) Gisbelle wrote: "lol... Shiver? Is that the one we have for the next month group read? Someone told me it was good :)"

It's had mixed opinions. I couldn't even get passed the 50 page mark I hated it that much! It's a bit like marmite apparently.

message 35: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Katie wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "lol... Shiver? Is that the one we have for the next month group read? Someone told me it was good :)"

It's had mixed opinions. I couldn't even get passed the 50 page mark I hated ..."

I usually give up reading if I don't find the book interesting after about 50 pages or so too :) I will give Shiver a try and if it does suck, I won't hesitate to stop :D

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie | 68 comments I liked Shiver but it definitely wasnt the best book i have ever read. I didn't love the series but some of the characters, especially in the second book, made me want to read on. I would give Shiver a try even though the book is not for everyone.

message 37: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Katie wrote: "I liked Shiver but it definitely wasnt the best book i have ever read. I didn't love the series but some of the characters, especially in the second book, made me want to read on. I would give Shiv..."

You have given me more hope :D Let's wait and see... I hope it is at least a bit interesting because I don't want to give up any more books :)

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie | 68 comments One disappointing book for me was Delirium Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver . I did want to read what happened afterwards but the book itself I found extremely boring and every page seemed to go so slowly. I really liked Pandemonium but Delirium was kind of ba din my opinion. I also am not really a fan of Alex. He was a little weird

message 39: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Katie wrote: "One disappointing book for me was DeliriumDelirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver. I did want to read what happened afterwards but the book itself I found extremely boring and every page seemed to go so slowl..."

I hate books with slow pace :( I get bored easily.

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie | 68 comments Yeah. I am more into action too

message 41: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Recently I was disappointed in Over You  by Emma McLaughlin :( The cover is so amazing :D but the story was so annoying and confusing X( I had to give up after a few chapters...

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiehodgkinson) Katie wrote: "One disappointing book for me was DeliriumDelirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver. I did want to read what happened afterwards but the book itself I found extremely boring and every page seemed to go so slowl..."

I've literally just got back from buying the first two books in that series when I read your comment, ha! But two books for about £3.50, even if they are bad you can't go wrong at that price :D

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

A lot of books disappointed me. I don't know if it is because I expect every book I read to be the most amazing thing that will ever cross my path or if I just suck at picking books.

Croak and The Lovely Bones are the first two titles that popped into my head.

message 44: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Rebecca wrote: "A lot of books disappointed me. I don't know if it is because I expect every book I read to be the most amazing thing that will ever cross my path or if I just suck at picking books.

Croak and The..."

Lol.. I just got Croak a few day ago XD Haven't read it yet, though

message 45: by Inger (new)

Inger | 241 comments there were all those positive comments on Almost by Anne Eliot so i decided to buy it and really looked forward to it.....it was so boring :D
I know it can't be easy for Jess to trust someone and at first i was totally okay with that. Both points of view showed the feelings of the main characters(Jess and Gray) and surprise they liked each other a lot, but of course they never said anything about it and bla bla bla :D

message 46: by Gisbelle (last edited Oct 22, 2012 07:48AM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Inger wrote: "there were all those positive comments onAlmost by Anne Eliot so i decided to buy it and really looked forward to it.....it was so boring :D
I know it can't be easy for Jess to trust someone..."

I liked Almost:)

message 47: by Inger (new)

Inger | 241 comments hu? You mean the book "Easy" by Tammara Webber?
just read you talked about the "Shiver" series. I stopped reading in the middle of book 2, so boring and annoying :b

message 48: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I bought and plan to read Shiver next month for the group read :) I hope it is ok lol...

message 49: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments And I meant Almost :D It's a great book in my opinion :D

message 50: by Inger (new)

Inger | 241 comments yeah Shiver is ok, but Linger..that was too much for me :b Forever is in my bookshelf too but i never touched it :D

« previous 1 3 4