Messenger (The Giver, #3) Messenger discussion

Does Matty die in the end? And how do you feel about it?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Daphne I got lost at the ending.

message 2: by Jo (last edited Sep 08, 2012 01:13PM) (new) - added it

Jo It said that the sound of keening began. Keening = mourning.

Rashika (is tired) yeah he died, it took me a while to get that and when i did i was so miserable because matty was one of my fav characters and it was sad that he died to save others. :/

Ashley Yes he used his gift by touching the ground and healed the people in the town. The mourning began as his body was taken from the forest. I just got the fourth book!

Leah Yeah, I think he did. I was sooooooooo upset. The main character isn't supposed to DIE!!!!!!!!!

Celeste oh....

Iain Coggins Samantha wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Yes he used his gift by touching the ground and healed the people in the town. The mourning began as his body was taken from the forest. I just got the fourth book!"

There's a fourt..."

It is entitled Son and literally just came out.

Iain Coggins Tirzah wrote: "If I remember correctly, he dies giving all of his inner strength to save the town. I don't usually cry over books, but I must admit my eyes watered over his selflessness and sacrifice."

I was disappointed with the predictability and cliche quality of his death. Still, I enjoyed the book.

Heidi Yes, he dies when he heals Forest and the rest of the people in Village. I admit that I teared up near the end. I just recently learned that a 4th book came out called Son. I have to get it from the regular library since it doesn't have the e reader version available yet.

message 11: by June (new) - rated it 4 stars

June I think the Christian overtones are huge in this series. Matty reminds me so much of Christ in his selfless giving and uncomely appearance. His ultimate sacrifice of life at the end so that others are healed is a true parallel. I am anxious to read "Son" to see where Lowry takes this. I love her writings and the lessons for willingness to love, care for, and serve others. The world can truly be a cruel place at times.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I just recently acquired "Son" and will probably start it tonight. I really enjoyed the entire series, but we still haven't met Gabriel, unless I missed that.

Caroline Leah wrote: "Yeah, I think he did. I was sooooooooo upset. The main character isn't supposed to DIE!!!!!!!!!"

No they are not :) I was not happy about the ending.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, unfortunately, he does, but he does a lot of good for the community in the process.

Natalia I was hoping for him to have fallen into a long sleep, but he does end up diying. I really liked him a lot.

message 16: by Leah (last edited Nov 16, 2012 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Caroline wrote: "Leah wrote: "Yeah, I think he did. I was sooooooooo upset. The main character isn't supposed to DIE!!!!!!!!!"

No they are not :) I was not happy about the ending."

*shakes head* It's kind of the point of the main character. :)

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Judy wrote: "I just recently acquired "Son" and will probably start it tonight. I really enjoyed the entire series, but we still haven't met Gabriel, unless I missed that."

I started Son yesterday, and I love it! It's kind of like a behind the scenes Giver type thing.

Rashika (is tired) Leah wrote: "Judy wrote: "I just recently acquired "Son" and will probably start it tonight. I really enjoyed the entire series, but we still haven't met Gabriel, unless I missed that."

I started Son yesterda..."

i am too scared to read it. I missed Jonas after the giver i wish he was a main character. :/

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Chung Jonas was Leader in Messenger, in case you didn't know...

Dolores Yes Matty dies in the end, but it could not have happened any other way. Matty healed everybody. He healed Forest. He did it willingly and truly was an amazing character, because he cared about the people and Forest enough to heal them. He loved them that much that he gave his life. He died a happy person.

Daphne Not a big fan of him dying

Rashika (is tired) Emily wrote: "Jonas was Leader in Messenger, in case you didn't know..."

i know he was there but i want him as the main character. i havent read son yet but out of the other 3, i believe that jonas has the best narration.

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Rashika wrote: "Leah wrote: "Judy wrote: "I just recently acquired "Son" and will probably start it tonight. I really enjoyed the entire series, but we still haven't met Gabriel, unless I missed that."

I started..."

He plays a much bigger part in Son than in the other two.

Kenna the fourth book is called Son.

Kenna I wish Matty hadn't had to die, but I wasn't crying over him either. I didn't really get emotionally attatched to him, like I do other characters. I don't know why. I feel terrible for poor Frolic though, the poor puppy. Now don't hink I'm some heartless person, it was sad, I just wasn't crying.

Rashika (is tired) Leah wrote: "Rashika wrote: "Leah wrote: "Judy wrote: "I just recently acquired "Son" and will probably start it tonight. I really enjoyed the entire series, but we still haven't met Gabriel, unless I missed t..."

That makes me feel better. perhaps i will pick it up. :)

message 27: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi I read this in a book group our leader told us to read it alone and dont rush it. Im glad she did because he does die. It took me a minute to understand that but i literally cried for 10 minutes and got so frustrated!

Still a great book and i loved!
Literally just found out Son came out have to go pick it up!

message 28: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Rashika wrote: "Leah wrote: "Rashika wrote: "Leah wrote: "Judy wrote: "I just recently acquired "Son" and will probably start it tonight. I really enjoyed the entire series, but we still haven't met Gabriel, unle..."

:)

message 29: by Maria (last edited Nov 28, 2012 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Tirzah wrote: "If I remember correctly, he dies giving all of his inner strength to save the town. I don't usually cry over books, but I must admit my eyes watered over his selflessness and sacrifice."

Agreed 110%

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

"Son" was a great book. It brought closure to the series.

MadMeethi I really didn't get the fact that he died in the end but great book

Kristen Yes, he died, which made the book feel pretty pointless. So, I thought it was a pretty stupid ending.

Maggie I was so mad/sad when matty died. He was one of my fav characters!!!!!!!! I cried a little

message 34: by Gaby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gaby Testa Matty did die didn't he? I thought he was just unconscience or something but omg he's dead!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!

Rashika (is tired) Gaby wrote: "Matty did die didn't he? I thought he was just unconscience or something but omg he's dead!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!"

*pats on shoulder*

It took me a while to get that he died :(

message 36: by Gaby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gaby Testa Rashika wrote: "Gaby wrote: "Matty did die didn't he? I thought he was just unconscience or something but omg he's dead!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!"

*pats on shoulder*

It took me a while to get that he died :("

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! MATTTY!!!!!! NOOO!!!
aawww man he's dead........ :(

message 37: by Kelsey (last edited Sep 28, 2013 08:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelsey Hanson Yes he dies and I don't know if it's just that I've become so jaded from reading a ton of depressing literature during my English classes but I was pissed! And not for the predictable reason. I'm not particularly attached to Matty (Sorry Matty lovers) I thought he lost a lot of the charm he had in the previous novel. But I have read this ending a million times before. Person sacrifices his self for the good of the world. But it's been written ALOT better before.

message 38: by Emily (last edited Jul 14, 2014 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily OH I cried.When it said "In the distance the soft sound of keening began" or whatever, my heart broke. Just like ajdnbieub

message 39: by Emily (last edited Jul 14, 2014 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily Kristen wrote: "Yes, he died, which made the book feel pretty pointless. So, I thought it was a pretty stupid ending."

I didn't think that Matty dying had ruined the ending. I think it was showing how much he was willing to give to save those he loved, he KNEW it was his duty, and he'd been expected to bring Kira back, how could he NOT let The Seer see ( hear ) his daughter again? I think Matty was a strong and courageous young character. c:

Emily June wrote: "I think the Christian overtones are huge in this series. Matty reminds me so much of Christ in his selfless giving and uncomely appearance. His ultimate sacrifice of life at the end so that others ..."

Yes, I totally agree with you. I haven't read Gathering Blueor Son yet, though I am excited to. I am such a book nerd and couldn't stay away from this topic, even though ig gave away HUGE spoilers.

Shelbie Hughes I had to re read the last portion because i miss read it but yes He did die. I was sad. Because if he gets his name as the healer he should have survived

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

You'll have to find pit for yourself if Mattie dies. Sorry, I won't spoil it for you.

Chikki I think this was my favorite book in the series (probably loved it even more than The Giver), mostly because Matty was such a great character. And even though I wish it had ended differently, I can also understand why it had to take that path.

Jessica Matty definitely did die. You find that out in Son beyond doubt, but I personally thought it was clear enough in Messenger. That was just me though :) What really sealed the deal was that the sound of Keening began.

Cierra and Alexa Petersen very sadly yes :( i really hated it, because matty was just so great and helpful. I just really did not like that he died :(

Cierra and Alexa Petersen Ok, is it just me who ships Jonas and Kira? Please reply, and no spoilers about Son please:)

Reily I was hoping he was just really tired and he was going to sleep and that the keening was because they were sad that they had been bad people but yeah he died
I WANT TO CRY!!!! Matty was my favorite character!

message 48: by rj (new) - added it

rj He was my favorite character!!!!!

Janeae he died it was soooooooooooooooooo sad cuz he is a main character doi if ya dont no your not supposed 2 kill the main character

message 50: by Jordan (new) - added it

Jordan Yeah Matty dies! I was sooo sad! I didn’t want to keep reading at first!😭😭

« previous 1