Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > I think my books should be merged

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Larranaga | 5 comments In response to an earlier comment from me, a Goodreads librarian said both versions of my book, "The Reckoning," should remain on the site. But after a closer reading of Goodreads policies, I believe the two books should be merged. Here's why: the original version of The Reckoning published in March 2012, has 50 fewer pages, a different sub-title, different cover design AND a different ISBN — at the insistence of the publisher, Create Space.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments The GR librarian was correct, for all the reasons you state. They are distinct, different works. If they were both exactly the same, and there was only one isbn (one would be missing an isbn), then they would be merged.

In this case, they would be combined...both remain, but they are "grouped" together, because they are two editions of the same book. If we merged one, it would be like saying it doesn't now and never has existed as a version.

Even old, old versions of Pride and Prejudice are kept, for example, because they have been purchased and read by members, who usually want to shelve the version they have.