Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Mockingjay: Absolutely amazing or drearily disappointing?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Eleanor Katherine I have to say, in my opinion, this book is the best book in the series and, to be frank, the best book I have ever read! I feel this book is immensely under-appreciated, and that people aren't seeing the real purpose of this book.

If I'm perfectly honest, I feel like I'm completely alone in loving this book beyond description. I only know of two other people who agree with me that it was the book that was most full of emotions and conflict and it's actually extremely realistic! You look at what's going on and has gone on around the world and it's not all that far off from this story. Mockingjay isn't about the action; it isn't about having a happy ending. It's about what terrible things people can do, and the effect this torture and torment can have on others, how it can ruin their lives, and that sometimes people aren't okay again afterwards. Everyone wants happy endings, or a real romance, love at first sight - Suzanne Collins is immensely skilled that she managed to write this story that goes against the flow, showing that not everyone knows immediately who they love. There is conflict, there is sadness, and people do become heartbroken.

I will freely admit that yes, there are some extremes in the way Katniss acts and thinks, but what people don't seem to be understanding is that everything she's been through pushes her to that point! People talk about her isolating herself, feeling sorry for herself. She isn't simply being a mopey teenager, she honestly and truly feels that she is alone - her father's been dead for years, she was the one taking care of her family and ensuring they survived, and to have to live like that and then endure being forced into the Hunger Games and having to kill other teens, and watch other teens kill/die for no reason other than some power-hungry people in the Capitol are so immensely selfish and are such control freaks. Then, she has to go through another set of the Hunger Games, with people who have been friends for years needlessly having to kill each other for the entertainment of others! Katniss never knew about the plan to get her out of the Quarter Quell, and to suddenly be thrown into the midst of riots and war, and be expected to simply step up and lead everyone to conquer the Capitol must have been enormously confusing and conflicting for someone who isn't even 18 yet! Furthermore, she then has to endure standing there, unable to do anything other than watch her sister get blown up by the people that she thought she had been working with!

I could still go on for hours, but I want to know what other opinions are, so please comment! I honestly can’t think why so many people went off the series and say this book was a disappointment, while I feel so strongly otherwise.

Gabby Haha, i think it was much, much, more depressing for my liking....

Eleanor Katherine Gabby wrote: "Haha, i think it was much, much, more depressing for my liking...."

Can I just ask why? So many emotions were there! :)

The Secret Blogger Katniss was always wining, finnick died (unnessary death), Peter wasnt in the whole book, it took katniss and peter too long to get together,prim died(again unessary).
The only bits I liked were when peter choked katniss and when she shot the lady and not snow.

Gabby Eleanor wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Haha, i think it was much, much, more depressing for my liking...."

Can I just ask why? So many emotions were there! :)"

Well, for starters (And not trying to sound rude or anything) By the end of the book, Katniss wallows in self-pity and blames herself for everything that happens in the novels. Second, too many people die for my liking and half of them didn't need to die for the story to continue. Like Finnick; what was the point of him dying? He was going to have a family! It was really sad to see that happen to him. and Katniss's mother doesn't want to have anything to do with her daughter, which i think is just wrong. Third: Gale leaves. What was the point of that? And Suzanne dosn't want to tell us why he went to district 2, because it is in Katniss's view and Katniss dosn't care....

Like i said, above. No offence to anyone.

Eleanor Katherine Gabby wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Haha, i think it was much, much, more depressing for my liking...."

Well, for starters (And not trying to sound ..."

Not in any way trying to tell you you should think otherwise, I just wanna say I think the reasons for the unnecessary deaths - because that's where I agree with you, most deaths really weren't necessary - is that they show the cruelness people can inflict upon other people and these did add to the story because everything was to make you want the Capitol to fall, and make you feel like Snow and all the Gamemakers etc were just horrible, powerhungry people.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

amazinggggggggg

Sophie I think it's a bit of both. I really enjoyed this one, but it took me a while to get into it unlike the rest of the series.

Gabby Eleanor wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Haha, i think it was much, much, more depressing for my liking...."

Well, for starters (And not tr..."

Yeah. I understand that. I just felt so upset for the characters that had to be there (Along with the reader), when they died.
Prim's death was horrible it made me feel that the series had no point. Katniss tried to save Prim in the first book- and that paid off-until that moment. It made the series pointless.

Kaitlyn Absoutely amazing.....here is a post about it on my blog:

http://2-b-read.blogspot.com/2012/07/...

message 11: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle I have to disagree with those deaths being unnecessary. They were in a war and people die in a war. The point behind those deaths was to show that war is disgusting and good people die. I'm going to use Pat Tillman as an example, he gave up a career in as a professional football player to serve time in Iraq and ended up dying by being shot in the back by a superior of his. People die in war. SC was trying to show how horrible war is and that sometimes the best people die (as I loved Prim and did cry when she died).
If you haven't read "All Quiet on the Western Front" I highly reccommend it to help you understand this story. But you have to read it critically and not at face value. It is about WW1 and shows all of the nastiest and most grueling aspects of war (the author was in WW1 and actually started working on it while in the trenches). This book relates to that in the sense that the "good guys" and people that are in war are affected by it in terrible ways.
Another examplary book would be "Flag of our Fathers." Half of the main characters die and many "heroes" and people "about to start families" die "unnecessary" deaths. But people are going to die in war. War doesn't care who dies. The enemies see their dead comrades as "good guys" just as much as we do ours. So if they knew who the "good guys" were, they would target them, just like we would theirs. It is a sense of emotional trauma (thus adding up and equaling Katniss's "wallow[ing] in self-pity and blame[ing] herself for everything that happens in the novels").
It was all in the book for a reason and that is why I love this book and also think it is the best in the series. It has an awesomeness and realisticniss unequaled in books nowadays.

message 12: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle I'm sorry. I never intend to write that much. lol

message 13: by Gabby (new) - rated it 1 star

Gabby Kyle wrote: "I have to disagree with those deaths being unnecessary. They were in a war and people die in a war. The point behind those deaths was to show that war is disgusting and good people die. I'm goin..."

I understand everyone's point of view. We can't all like the same novels :)

Eleanor Katherine Kaitlyn (2 B Read) wrote: "Absoutely amazing.....here is a post about it on my blog:

http://2-b-read.blogspot.com/2012/07/..."

Thank you! I totally agree with you, the whole point of the book is that it's war and war isn't pretty and it leaves a huge impact on people. I'm so glad I've found someone else who thinks the same as I do.

Eleanor Katherine Kyle wrote: "I have to disagree with those deaths being unnecessary. They were in a war and people die in a war. The point behind those deaths was to show that war is disgusting and good people die. I'm goin..."

I have one word: exactly.

Teiamarie I too was disappointed in the third book. I was angry over the stupid (and unnecessary) way Finnick died. Annie was already a head case and I can't see her pulling through for the baby without Finnick. He was her rock.

I also had to reread the chapters starting from when the rebels launched their attack on the capitol with the exploding "gifts" dropped using parachutes. Katniss was disoriented, the writing was a little disorienting and the whole time all I could think was WTF?! I think the end had less impact for me because I was still so ticked off that Finnick had died and Prim had died. Katniss lost it despite being so strong through the entire series. She and Gale were best friends for years and while the type of attack that killed her sister was his brainchild, he didn't order the attack, had no part in it yet she cut herself off from him and he from her. There were too many dramatic changes all at once that left me reeling. The last time I read the book was back in February and even thinking about it now still angers me. I like to read for enjoyment. I don't necessarily need the happily ever after but I don't like being pissed off either.

Sorry to vent but this book really bothered me. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and I totally respect the opinions of those who feel the exact opposite. This book really drove me bananas though...

Godiva3 Sophie wrote: "I think it's a bit of both. I really enjoyed this one, but it took me a while to get into it unlike the rest of the series."

I agree!

Lindsey Dreaily dissapointing. I kind of wish I hadn't even read it. Nothing went right. Unnessasary deaths, Gale and Katniss' mom going away. This book was a mess.

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hoffman It was alright, definitely not my favorite of the trilogy. I absolutely hated Katniss in this book, which was strange, since I really liked her in the first two. She just wallowed in self-pity and anger and hatred, and I didn't like it. Though I will admit that Suzanne Collins definitely portrayed war and its effects realistically. However, I thought Finnick's death was outrageous and unnecessary. I felt like it was just thrown randomly in there because the author felt like nobody deserved to have a happy ending. Seriously. Not one person gets a happily ever after. Plus I felt like Katniss settled for Peeta, and she didn't really deserve him. At all.

Darlene Absolutely amazing IMO

message 21: by Violet (new)

Violet Sinnarkar Samantha wrote: "It was alright, definitely not my favorite of the trilogy. I absolutely hated Katniss in this book, which was strange, since I really liked her in the first two. She just wallowed in self-pity and ..."

I don't think it was as much as a "no-one-gets-a-happy-ending", as much as the realism. Collins tried to portray war realistically- and the sad truth is that war isn't a happily-ever-after story.
I agree that Katniss didn't deserve Peeta, but I felt like that was kind of the point. So much horrible stuff happened to her, and Peeta was a little good thing. She should be allowed that bit of happiness...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the book itself but I was sobbing for hours over Finnick and Prim! Their deaths seemed so unnecessary! And I know that Collins was simply portraying the realism of war but still! I'm STILL sobbing over Rue too! This was definitely not my favorite of the books. What cut it was the ending. It seemed like there was no closure. It seemed like "Peeta's mad- BAM! He's her lover again!" it seemed unrealistic, and since Collins worked so hard to make it realistic I felt it was kind of dumb. And also, I didn't admire or like Katniss at all in this book, while I at least admired her spirit in the other two.
It was neither absolutely amazing or drearily disappointing. Somewhere in the middle. The first was my fave, the second was good, the third was my least favorite.

message 23: by Annie (last edited Sep 09, 2012 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Noble To the people who note that Finnick & Prim's deaths were unnecessary: I think such an observation misses the point of the book: the political game playing was the cause of these deaths - not the author's whimsy. When considering whether a death in a story is "unnecessary," it helps to look at the larger point of the book, which in this case was that the political and the personal intersect in complicated and unforgiving ways. It would be like saying the dogs in Where the Red Fern Grows (spoiler ahead) shouldn't have died: if there were no death of those doggies, there would simply be no book, no transformation of the protagonist, no understanding of the greater theme.

Like Eleanor, the provoker of this discussion, I too loved this book. I think it is the most complicated. According to this discussion, I think it also was the most effective at creating the emotions that the author wanted you to have regarding the political game playing and the personal no-ultimate-happy-ending because of the political situation.

Hannah (wetheliteraries) Mockingjay was ok, but it wasn't anywhere as good as the other two. And it was super sad. I just didn't really like the whole story of Mockinjay

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I personally think it was disappointing, I don't know, the only think I was just wait for her choice between Gayle and Peeta...

Prime dying is totally not necessary! :(:(:(

Nichole Weak. Talk about a book that was written for no good reason. It was merely a drag.

Deliriate I found the ending utterly disappointing. It was everything I expected.. and not. I can't really explain it, but a secret underground organization under the 13th district idea didn't really float with me. Although, there doesn't seem to be another way to hide a rebel group from the all powerful capital, now was there?

There were unnecessary deaths like a few others before me that pointed out. Like with Prim and Finnick.

Katniss choosing Peeta over Gale played a slight part in it too. :(

message 28: by Leela (last edited Sep 10, 2012 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leela I wouldn't describe it exactly as either of the two extremes, but closer to the side of amazing.

I thought it was a very satisfying gripping and realistic conclusion.

I would say it was great, but not absolutely amazing. A couple of minor tweaks would have made it amazing.

Nicholas Poorly and hastely written. All about the $$ and movie timelines.

message 30: by Leela (last edited Sep 10, 2012 10:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leela Nicholas wrote: "Poorly and hastely written. All about the $$ and movie timelines."

I do agree it did feel a bit like that, but looking at the publishing dates, there was equal amount of time between each release. Perhaps the difference was more so having to write it under such enormous pressure.

Jessica I So disappointed with the last books.

Jessica Nicholas wrote: "Poorly and hastely written. All about the $$ and movie timelines."

Totally agree with you

Lynette Barfield First book set me up for the second. I thought the second was best. Mockingjay was disappointing, but I had to finish it to find out ending. I would like another book with these characters or maybe their children to see if peace will last.

themikko In my opinion,
Hunger Games = AMAZING!
Catching Fire = okay
Mockingjay = I gave up.

Just my experience though. :)

message 35: by Gabby (new) - rated it 1 star

Gabby Lynette wrote: "First book set me up for the second. I thought the second was best. Mockingjay was disappointing, but I had to finish it to find out ending. I would like another book with these characters or ma..."

Same! Probably because of Finnick..but, we can't all win :)

Nicholas themikko wrote: "In my opinion,
Hunger Games = AMAZING!
Catching Fire = okay
Mockingjay = I gave up.

Just my experience though. :)"

I feel the same way, the initial book was good, then they kinda fell by the roadside

message 37: by Erika (last edited Sep 14, 2012 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erika Christovich The first two books pulled you along; Mockingjay did not. It felt hurried and sketchy. The trilogy reminded me of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast in that regard. Others tried to pull together what he had written into a coherent book, with limited success.

Eleanor Katherine Erika wrote: "The first two books pulled you along; Mockingjay did not. It felt hurried and sketchy. The trilogy reminded me of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast in that regard. Others tried to pull together what he ..."

It frustrates me that people think this way - I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, everyone has their own opinion - but to me it just seems that people miss the work and skill of the writing of this book. :)

Hayley I found each book to be equally entrancing. I could not put any of them down. I feel like HG and CF were tied up perfectly in a neat little bow. Everything moved at a steady pace. Everything fit together. Every little side character or side note came back to explain itself and contribute to the story. While I did enjoy MJ, I do think it was hastily written. It was a tragic, heartbreaking, bittersweet book, which I completely love and appreciate, but I feel like it was not as well-written as the first 2. I am not a professional critic or student of literature by any means, but I just feel like it was so rushed. Did SC have a page limit? I think the book could have been twice as long. I don't like how every time something is going to happen, Katniss passes out and wakes up and everything is explained to her. Especially when Katniss sees Prim die and then wakes up and well what do you know! The president has been captured. Was SC just too lazy to come up with a strategy for the team to break into the mansion and get Snow? I loved the book and I think it had a great ending. The last chapter and the epilogue I feel were perfect. I am fine with how Katniss and Gale never saw each other again. But I feel certain parts were very rushed and poorly explained.

message 40: by Valerie (last edited Sep 18, 2012 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Valerie I was disappointed by it.

Here are some of the things I felt it lacked or reasons why I didn't love it.... I left like it dragged on way too long. For me there were too many characters and it got confusing. Is it just me or did Katniss start to seem like Bella Swan? Whinny, depressed, and annoying. I was also really mad that Prim died. It made everything Katniss fought for pointless. But, at least the books are over and the series ended well.

Valerie Nichole wrote: "Weak. Talk about a book that was written for no good reason. It was merely a drag."

Agreed.

message 42: by MJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

MJ I think my biggest disappointment in the book was all this build-up to Katniss wanting to kill Snow. It's all she supposedly dreamed about, went against orders so she could have that shot at killing Snow. Then, she kills Coin (which I understand, mind you), but then we find out Snow died either by choking on his own laughter or was trampled by the crowd. What a disappointment!

Hayley MJ wrote: "I think my biggest disappointment in the book was all this build-up to Katniss wanting to kill Snow. It's all she supposedly dreamed about, went against orders so she could have that shot at killin..."

I agree it was a bit of a let down. But I also think it was a good thing he didn't get a glorified death with a huge audience. He was just trampled or maybe he choked to death... Whatever, no one paid much attention apparently which is what he deserved! He didn't deserve an arrow through the head, he deserved to be slowly trampled to death or choke on his spit! I'm glad he had an anonymous, unimportant death. :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, but I'm going to have to be honest here and say that mockingjay was a bit of a let down, no offense to anyone who liked it. Actually if you really think about it, if the first book was longer and there were no second and third books, it would have been just as sucessful; I mean at first it's all about survival and then it just falls into some sort of confusing, bit pointless, drama-love-story, and I DO NOT like those types of books at all. So yeah, but that's just what I think, still the series is so good and catching fire and mockingjay were pretty good; and the titles are awesome too!

Kerry themikko wrote: "In my opinion,
Hunger Games = AMAZING!
Catching Fire = okay
Mockingjay = I gave up."

I finished Mockingjay, but Collins was not overly successful in making the last book epic. She moves from the intimate and personal focus that made Hunger Games good. It felt like she was trying to make each successive book bigger, badder and better. Depicting a final epic smack down confrontation is not Collins' forte. It felt too contrived.

Etheresafan I was very disappointed with this book because of the quick ending that we got after Katniss went home. It just seemed like after reading the series that a quick summary of her future happy life wasn't enough. I wish there would have been a little bit more to it. I felt like I needed some payoff. I really wanted an exchange between Katniss and Peeta not just being told what happened.

Jodie I have to admit this book was good, but I expected a more thrilling ending. Sadly, I was not satisfied. I just don't think this book compares with the first two books.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

My opinion:
Hunger Games= Bloody brilliant
Catching Fire= FINNICK <3 But it wasn't as good as the first.
Mockingjay= Sobbing, heart broken, and disappointed.

Alexa I HATED the Mocking Jay! Everything was sad and I could hardly follow! I mean Prim dieing! I loved her from the beggining! and then to have her unneccesarily die is just to much!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Ax wrote: "I HATED the Mocking Jay! Everything was sad and I could hardly follow! I mean Prim dieing! I loved her from the beggining! and then to have her unneccesarily die is just to much!"

I know right!! I felt the same way!! It was indeed SUPER hard to follow were the book was going at!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« previous 1