Art Lovers discussion

Just For Fun > Quizzes

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Here's a Quiz: Art Schools 1860–1900

http://painting.about.com/library/qui...

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments oh, dear, Ed. I didn't do very well. :( But that was fun! Thank you!

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1957 comments 100% correct. But then, as an old Art History teacher, I'd have been mortified if I'd not done well.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments I'm going to post a couple of the movements addressed in the quiz. I will post these as spoilers so I don't ruin the quiz for anyone.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Ruth, I'm sure you know a million times more about those movements than I do. It would be great if you'd want to expound on them a little bit. I know I could always learn more!

message 6: by Ed (last edited Sep 08, 2012 10:28PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Ruth, let's see if I've got this right
(view spoiler)
about this:

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments The Talisman, 1888 (above) by pioneer of abstract art and an inspiration for the Nabi movement, Synthetism and Cloisonnism -- Paul Sérusier (1864-1927). The Talisman was an extreme exercise in Cloisonnism that approximated to pure abstraction.

One of my favorite "Cloisonnism" paintings that is "Avenue de Clichy, cinq heures du soir" 1887, by Louis Anquetin (1861-1932). In 1882, Anquetin came to Paris and began studying art at Léon Bonnat's studio, where he met Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. The two artists later befriended Émile Bernard and Vincent van Gogh. Around 1887, Anquetin and Bernard developed a painting style that used flat regions of color and thick, black contour outlines. This style, named CLOISONNISM by critic Edouard Dujardin, was inspired by both stained glass and Japanese ukiyo-e. One example of this can be seen in Avenue de Clichy: Five O’Clock in the Evening.

Avenue de Clichy

Japanese ukiyo-e

stain glass

Cloisonne bracelet

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Thank you, Carol!

message 9: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 157 comments This is why MCQs are not reliable at exams :) I got 7 out of 9! Pretty much guessing. Thanks for linking!

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Good job, Amalie!

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat McKay | 14 comments Man it's been too long since my art history classes! Fortunately I new most but 2 were sadly unkown to me(musta been asleep on Gauguin's day in class).

message 12: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Carol wrote: "...One of my favorite "Cloisonnism" paintings that is "Avenue de Clichy, cinq heures du soir" 1887, by Louis Anquetin (1861-1932). ..."

I've often thought that Anquetin was one of the unacknowledged influences on van Gogh, and the composition is very much like on of van Gogh's.

Vincent Van Gogh - Café Terrace at Night. September 1888. Oil on canvas.

The date for the Anquetin was one year before in 1887. I am almost positive that Vincent must have seen it.

Of course this is not a "copy", just following the same theme.

Notice how the two artists' sensibilities differ. The Anquetin is bustling with life. In the van Gogh the people are pushed into deep space and are isolated. In Anquetin the colors are tastefully arranged--by today's taste--although it must have looked very radical at the time it was painted. The van Gogh's colors harmonize, but are exuberant and passionate.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments I believe you are correct Ed. (I read that somewhere.) I haven't seen many paintings by Anquetin that are like "Avenue de Clichy, cinq heures du sour" (Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art). I do like his "Woman Beside a Lake," 1889 - http://www.artfinder.com/work/woman-b...

message 14: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1957 comments Great comments, everone.

Ruth, doing a drive-by.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments QUESTION: If you could use one word to describe yourself right now what would it be? Please back up your response with a piece of art depicting your description.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Ok, now for my current mood. Of course, I'm going to draw on my favorite artist...Camille Claudel.

L’implorante (a section off of Age of Maturity)

A little perplexed at life at the moment, I'm reaching for an answer.

message 17: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Heather wrote: "QUESTION: If you could use one word to describe yourself right now what would it be? Please back up your response with a piece of art depicting your description."
As I have been fighting a minor cold all week, and am working from home, I am "sick", and here's a painting:

The Invalid by Henri Matisse

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments That is perfect, Ed!

message 19: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I'm having problems with a few storm windows right now so I'll have to go with Ludwig Meidner's 1913 painting "The Corner House," where it looks like they may have similar issues.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Great one, Lobstergirl! hahaha
Love that painting, too!

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments I am all about Joseph Cornell. I'm in Chicago and yesterday visited the new Modern wing! Only took in a couple Magrite's but channelled Joseph exclusively. I've looked forward to this since the wing opened almost 4 years ago. I've wanted to see these Cornell's for 30 years. Kudos to Lindy Bergman and her husband for the collection!! I am so happy!

message 22: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Treisman I love this question. Unfortunately I've never mastered copying and pasting images found on the internet, and I don't have an image in mind. I was bitten this morning by a very frightened street kitten while rescuing it with someone from a shelter. Not one bite, too many to count bites, some worse than others. Stupid me for not protecting myself. Anyway, Just got back from the emergency at the hospital where they gave me two prescriptions and a tetanus shot. Anyone have a picture for me?

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Before the cat bit you...

Pierre Auguste Renoir Seated Woman with a Cat

Vincent van Gogh's Ward of Arles Hospital
(I'm not saying you had to go to a mental ward for some cat bites, though!)

message 24: by Heather (last edited Oct 14, 2012 12:46PM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments This is me right now...

John Singer Sargent Repose

I'm tired!

message 25: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Treisman Both are wonderful. Thanks!!
Heather wrote: "Before the cat bit you...

Pierre Auguste Renoir Seated Woman with a Cat

Vincent van Gogh's Ward of Arles Hospital
(I'm not saying you had to go to a mental ward for some cat bites, though!)"

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments I just woke up from a nap, I really needed to 'repose'!
Now I recently bought some fresh picked peaches and I think I'll have some of those.

Paul Cezanne Dish of Peaches

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments We traveled all day!!! Flew from Salt Lake City, UT to Denver, CO to Baltimore, MD to Hartford, CT. Six hours in the air plus waiting (& praying) to get on connecting flights.

Kate McNally, The Miracle of Flight

Nidhi Chanani's version of travel fatigue -- http://e-nidhi.com/wordpress/wp-conte...

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Welcome home, Carol! Hope you had a fantastic trip! I sure enjoyed meeting and being with you when you were out here!

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Thanks Heather! It was great to meet you in person and to see so much and how beautiful it is in Salt Lake City.

message 30: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl

What is that painting? It's of a horse, and I think the artist is a woman. A woman who does horse paintings. I've been trying to think of her name for months.

message 31: by Ed (last edited Dec 14, 2012 07:31PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "

What is that painting? It's of a horse, and I think the artist is a woman. A woman who does horse paintings. I've been trying to think of her name for months."

I found it. It's a Rothenberg.

"A Susan Rothenberg in the White House"
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/gusto/20...

The White House curator is named William Allman. He's the one who advises the White House interior decorator and the First Lady on painting. There's been an effort to feature American painting in the White House.

message 32: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Oh cool. One of the perks of being the occupant(s) of the White House is that you can go to the National Gallery and pick out the paintings you want (to be returned at the end of your term).