Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Fantasy Romance > C.L. Wilson

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
Has anyone else read C.L. Wilson's books, Lord of the Fading Lands and Lady of Light and Shadows?

I ploughed through both books in about a week, and I was very impressed. The books are well-written, and Wilson's universe is very well built. The books remind me more of high fantasy with a touch of romance rather than a formula romance stuck into a fantasy setting. The main characters are drawn together by a mystical soul bond (which usually would make me run the other way; I'm not a big fan of soulmate stories), but they actually get to know each other over the course of the two books before falling in love. It's refreshing!

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments This book is moving to the top of my stack. I'm not a fan of soulmate stories either, so I'm glad to hear the relationship is depicted more realistically. Soulmate stories often seem like a cop-out so the author doesn't have to show the characters falling in love and giving a reason for it.

I'll be sure to comment on the book as soon as I finish it. I'm really looking forward to it now!

message 3: by Cassandra (last edited Dec 29, 2007 07:25AM) (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments I just finished Lord of the Fading Lands and loved it! It's my new favorite romance novel of all time. I didn't realize the story arced over two books, though, so I about screamed when I reached the last page. I read it pretty much straight through; so fast that my husband was astounded (I'm usually a slow reader).

I like that even though the characters have the soul bond, they don't automatically like each other. C.L. Wilson was very careful in how she crafted the story as well. I was amazed that there was only 1 spelling error in the entire 400 page book, and that was in the glossary. And the world she built was immersing and really gripping. I'm going to go buy the second book right now :)

message 4: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Jan 02, 2008 09:51PM) (new)

Well, I was hooked enough to buy the second book, though I managed to snag the first book from bookmooch.com. The library's probably a good idea, though, just because... well, there's no telling if you'll like something or not. I should go to the library more often, but I'm addicted to buying books. ;)

I feel morally obligated ;) to warn you, though, that the story doesn't end with the second book. Two more books are coming out sometime this year, IIRC, just so you know. I knew about the two books starting off, but getting to the end of the second book, expecting resolution only to find out that I've got to wait months for two more? ARGH!

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I haven't heard of them but they sound interesting. Maybe I should wait, though, for the other two to be released? I hate waiting!!

Are there only four altogether?

message 6: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I've only seen four mentioned, Shannon, so hopefully that's it. I'm going to be super-frustrated if I get to the end of the fourth book and find out I've got to wait another year for two more, haha!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) I knew there was two books at the start, I was on Christine Feehan my space and she recommended CL Wilson books. I bought them both and read them over the Thanks Giving holiday. I loved them but did not know there was going to be two more books. A year is a long time to find out what happens, but if they are as good as the first two it will be worth it.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I've finished reading them, and I was quite impressed. They're more fantasy than anything else, but I guess anytime there's sex scenes just for the fun of it they get chucked into the romance section.

I saw hints of Feehan in them but they were a lot better. The writing, for a start, was much better quality, the pacing was great and I wasn't bored for a second. There was nothing tacky in them, and I would definitely recommend them. Looking forward to the next two, released sometime around June?

message 9: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Is it September 30th yet? I am seriously jonesin' for more of this series, hehe.

message 10: by new_user (last edited Oct 27, 2008 12:00PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Just finished the first book, Lord of the Fading Lands, and I liked it. I think I liked the villains and politics and characterization better than the romance, actually. The two main characters are somewhat one-dimensional, but the secondary chars are, ironically enough, developed and it's so interesting when the story delves into their flaws. I guess Ellie and Rain are too noble for me, lol. Girl's a little too saccharine and guy's a little too typical "My Preciousss". Not bad though. It kind of reminded me of Woodiwiss if she wrote fantasy, lol. I'll probably read the second book, Lady of Light and Shadows, eventually, especially if Gaelen makes an appearance. He sounds fascinating

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 56 comments I'm so happy to find this thread! I've gone to CL Wilson's website and looked at the excerpts, and now am waiting for my copies to come in at the local bookstore (it's the "lite" version of a national chain, so we do more waiting than larger places *grin*).

I'm really looking forward to reading them!

message 12: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB (melissaann) | 16 comments I loved the first two books in this series, I will be reading King of Sword and Sky soon!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (goodreadscomLaura) | 1 comments This is a great series! It is my all time favorite. Book 4 is the completion of Rain & Ellie's story, however there are two more books coming out that takes us into the lives of a couple of her quintets and finding their HEA.

She is working on another book that will come out, I believe at the end of 2009 that is called The Winter King. It sounds very good too. I will be tagging this to read.

Has anyone else heard about this book?

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Rosa (escalla) | 4 comments yeap this series is truly excellent, we read the first as the October read in our book club. :P

message 15: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB (melissaann) | 16 comments C.L. Wilson is a member here at Goodreads, maybe she will give you info on the upcoming books!

message 16: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 6 comments It's my most favorite fantasy romance ever! I simply devoured the books. I can't wait for the last book!
I've been looking for the same books where its mostly romance with fantasy..can anybody suggest any title?

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hi, Arlene. Another member recommended the T'en trilogy and those are kind of similar in that they are romance fantasy. I recommend the Drakon books by Shana Abe. Great romance fantasy. :D