The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Is there anything better

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments Than discovering a new author you like with a full back-list of titles?

Reading and researching the best order in which to read them?

And the thrill of discovering someone else who reads the same author and wants to talk about it?

I've been in the mood for fluff and discovered Victoria Laurie. I've finished 5 by her, now looking for more.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Wow! No Brenda I'm with you on that, there is nothing better. And it's the best thing about GR, plenty of recommendations to go around!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9862 comments Mod
Brenda, I hear you!
I did that with Jose Saramago,Christopher Moore, Jules Verne.... I am currently doing it with Cormac McCarthy, Tom Robbins, Charlaine Harris (gotta get the brain candy in there!)

Its great to find new authors to fall in love with!

message 4: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I love Victoria Laurie.I found her by browsing my library picked up the first readi it super quick went back at got the rest in the series.The newest one is sitting at the library which i actually have to pick up by today.

message 5: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I did the same thing with Christopher Moore!!

I LOVE when that happens haha, it seriously happens to me allllll the time. Love it!

message 6: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments Christopher Moore
Dean Koontz
(hopefully) Charles Dickens

message 7: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments Christopher Moore
Dean Koontz
Paulo Coehlo
(hopefully) Charles Dickens

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Jen Lancaster, Jodi Picoult, Joy Fielding, Erica Spindler, Lisa Gardner, Jane Green

I have read ALL of their books! I love discovering an author who has a ton of books, just hate waiting for new ones to come out :(

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarai0989) I know and love the feeling... but often find it followed up by disappointment when none of the other books turn out to be as good as the first one you read. Even when I love a certain book by a certain author, it doesn't necessarily follow that I will love every single book they've written. Of course there are exceptions - and it's easier when an author writes along the same themes and in the same style every time.

Margaret Atwood is a good example. I read and loved Oryx and Crake, so much that I went borrowed everything she's ever written from my library and went on a huge Atwood bender. But her books are all so different that I felt quite differently about each one - I loved a couple of them but actually hated others.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula717) | 52 comments Well, I'm reading my first Clive Cussler novel and am looking forward to his other books. Apparently there are alot. Why I've never read him before, I have no idea. Too many books, too little time..? Gotta win the lotto so I can read full time :o)

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Yeah, I love that. There's nothing worse then waiting for an author to publish something.

I love Diana Wynne Jones and have many of her books but I refuse to read them all at once, I have 15 left of hers to read and I love it that way. I'm almost too scared to read one, knowing that I'm closer to running out.

And Andrew Taylor - he's wrote about 20 books and I've read about 7 so far.