Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > database refusal to add similar (but not same) author names

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (last edited Sep 07, 2012 08:18AM) (new)

Lee | 122 comments Having tried several times to add an author to this book, and having it repeatedly ignored, I'm hoping someone can tell me 1) why, and 2) how to circumvent the problem in the future (or if a super is always needed):

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49...

Authors for this book are Yeon Hee Park, Yeon Hwan Park, and Jon Gerrard. The database will only accept either Yeon Hee or Yeon Hwan but not both, no matter how I try to trick it. I've come across this happening on occasion & usually have just given up.
Thanks anyone.

message 2: by Rinou (new)

Rinou | 100 comments I tried it too, and the name doesn't appear even though the page says the change has been saved. And the librarian log doesn't show my change.
I don't understand either, there are books with lots of authors, and Yeon Hwan Park is already on GR.

message 3: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 872 comments Well I tricked it into working by adding a fictitious name as the third author and then editing the author page back to Yeon Hwan Park, but it was certainly awkward.

A bug that needs to be fixed for sure.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32736 comments Mod
Actually, it is deliberate, to avoid have users accidentally add the same author twice. It isn't likely to be changed.

The workaround is as MissJessie mentioned.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 959 comments Hey, you learn something new every day.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee | 122 comments Thanks for answering - good to know for sure.
It's too bad the same practice isn't in place for Onix/Ingram updates...I find a lot of duplicate authors (without variation, even) on the same book record.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32736 comments Mod
We have a different sort of filter for imports, and it has been tweaked a couple times in the last few months. Which doesn't undo those names previously imported, but should make such duplicates from imports much less likely going forward.