Curie World Lit: Only The BEST discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Kafka Discussion Circle > Metamorphosis Questions

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Here is a place for you to ask and answer each other's questions.

You will receive participation points and even more points for answering questions.

Yay helpfulness

Ms. R

message 2: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 12 comments Do you feel in Metamorphosis that Kafka was protraying that in one part of his life he felt like a different person and pictured himself in such a way he did not want anyone to recognize him?

message 3: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Joshua, thanks for the question! I think it's a very important one to pose to the class.

I too have a question:

Do you think we, as the reader, are suppose to side with the Manager or with Gregor? Is Gregor acting lazy or is the manager acting unreasonable?

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 12 comments Although the manager was acting anxious to get Gregor out of the rm, he was not acting unreasonable giving his lack of knowledge concerning Gregor's condition. However i side with Gregor because he was overwhelm with his "sudden bug-like transformation.

message 5: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Joshua wrote: "Although the manager was acting anxious to get Gregor out of the rm, he was not acting unreasonable giving his lack of knowledge concerning Gregor's condition.

I totally agree with your views concerning Gregor and his "sudden transformation", but I would like you to consider if the manager is indeed NOT being unreasonable. Consider what we know about Gregor as a worker. Looking at the manager's speech, is he being fair to Gregor? If you were Gregor, would you think it was fair for your boss to come to your house and say these things to you outside of your door?

message 6: by Nicolemac (new)

Nicolemac | 8 comments Well here a question for you do you think that once Gregor walked out the room as a bug it was right for thw dad to be standing with an angry face and a fist ready to punch him? i think the manger was being unreasonable seeing he only missed work once in while and it was like once a year so he blew it out of preportion, he need to take a chill pill...especailly the mom and dad even stated how he never goes anywhere so the only thing they could think of would be...being sick...

message 7: by Joshua (last edited Feb 03, 2009 07:31PM) (new)

Joshua | 12 comments Ms R asked "if I was Gregor would I think it was fair if my boss came to my house and made negative comments about me..."

No it was not fair for Gregor's manager to come to his house and belittle him in front of his family. I feel that the manager had a lot of nerve to do this and must have felt or had some type of bond or connection with his family to feel comfortable to say such things to Gregor.

message 8: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Joshua wrote:

No it was not fair for Gregor's manager to come to his house and belittle him in front of his family..."

I totally agree. This "nerve" and bad behavior is very symbolic for Kafka. The manager acts as a really big symbol within this story. Consider the characterization of this character. Kafka paints this sort of picture for a reason.

message 9: by Lucero (new)

Lucero Roman | 6 comments i agree that in one point of his life kafka was not feeling so ood about himself so he wanted to portray himself in a way that he wnted to be someone or something completly differet than who he really is. he did a good job in doing it. i tink i love him too miss rodriguez.

message 10: by Lucero (new)

Lucero Roman | 6 comments it was so totally not fair that gregors boss went to his house. i dont see why he would have to because i think that gregor is very loyal to his job and i dont think that was very necessary.

message 11: by Beah (new)

Beah | 11 comments I am some what confused because why can gregor hear all the people but when he starts to talk Boone understand him? That's pretty weird.but I agree when you had said that he sees himself as a cockaroach becausehe doesn't belong. That's real powerful

message 12: by Beah (new)

Beah | 11 comments ms k to answer your question I'd gregor is acting irresponsible, I don't think he is I think that everybody just expects to much from him and he can't fulfill everybody standards. I think that he has a lot of pressure going on and maybe he wanted to turn into a bug so he could just brush away all the problems and not to worry about nothing.

message 13: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Beah wrote: " ms k to answer your question I'd gregor is acting irresponsible, I don't think he is I think that everybody just expects to much from him and he can't fulfill everybody standards. I think that he..."

First of all, Ms K?

Second of all,

I like where you are going with your comment. It think your interpretation of Gregor as a bug is a valid one. He has been working hard and his transformation does allow him to loose a bit of that responsibility.

But, consider this: is Gregor really being "irresponsible?" Did he ask to be turned into a bug? Is this something he wanted? Did he make this decision to ignore his responsibilities to his family? Consider his thoughts directly after his transformation. Also, consider the difference between how Kafka portrays Gregor's family and how Gregor is depicted.

I know that's a lot, but I really would love to hear what you have to think! You've got me excited about this train of thought!

Yay blogging! :0)

message 14: by Nicolemac (new)

Nicolemac | 8 comments I'd be so upset and felt disrespected and shocked that my manger had to really come all the way to my hous ejust to put me down because for once I was running late and I am never runninng late. I would have told him a comment but a proffessional comment so that I wouldnt get myself in to much trouble. ..

message 15: by William (new)

William | 5 comments In Metamorphosis do you feel that Kafka is describing his emotions into writing the character Gregor? Does Kafka feel emotionally upset with himself where that he feels he is less of a person because of what he went throughout his life?

message 16: by Quitnin (last edited Feb 05, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

Quitnin | 7 comments Metamorphosis is an exapmle of the author life experiences so far.He expresses himself very stongly so that the reader can have the image in there head, great metaphor usage.Kafka portrays Gregor's family as like mentally challgenge or doesnt fully understand him which to me is understandable, he also makes it seem like the parents dont care about the debt.

Is Gregor's parents as concern as he about the debt he owns to the chief? What is the oringinally owe to the chief? Does Gregor's like the fact he turns into a bug? Does Kafka use the fact of turning into a bug as a form of transformation into comfort and relaxation or does he use it when he tired and stessed out?

message 17: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Quitnin wrote: "Kafka portrays Gregor's famly as mentally challenged or doesn't fully understand..."

Great questions and responses here Quintin! I especially find this portion of your post interesting.

All, please consider if the family is not capable of understanding Greogr and the situation at hand or are they not really trying to understand?

message 18: by Keshona (new)

Keshona Lewis | 6 comments What will Gregor family do now that he has become a bug? How will they pay off their debt? Will Gregor become a human again?

message 19: by Marekjavorek (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:38PM) (new)

Marekjavorek | 16 comments I think that Gregor will snap out of it fom the whole bug idea. Dont forget he was in the the Military , what do you guys think ?

message 20: by Marekjavorek (new)

Marekjavorek | 16 comments Lucero wrote: "it was so totally not fair that gregor's boss went to his house. i don't see why he would have to because i think that Gregor is very loyal to his job and i don't think that was very necessary."

I agree Gregor's boss shouldn't done that.No one would like the idea that your manager comes to your house and tells you what to do.The manager should trust Gregor what to do and he should know that Gregor is responsible to come to work every day.Everyone has their day in which you don't feel like it your not obligated to come to work every day. Gregor is there most of the time and he knows about this very well he is the one that is paying off the debt that is not even his.

message 21: by Dishon (last edited Feb 05, 2009 01:07PM) (new)

Dishon | 8 comments Keshona wrote: "What will Gregor family do now that he has become a bug? How will they pay off their debt? Will Gregor become a human again?"
Well Gregor can't really do much right now since he's a bug, but i think that his sister will play a big part in his life as to she's already doing it now by feeding him everyday. I think Gregor will struggle for a while being a bug, but i think that towards the end something will happen and he will turn back human or make good from being a bug, but i think before that happenes the rest of the family will realize that if everyone gets a job and the parents will stop being so lazy and see that the only person that you can count on is yourself, because some how some way everyone will let u down inadvertently or advertently.

message 22: by Valeria (last edited Feb 05, 2009 04:20PM) (new)

Valeria (val777) | 10 comments Joshua wrote: "Although the manager was acting anxious to get Gregor out of the rm, he was not acting unreasonable

i think the manager was being unreasonable. Unreasonable for the fact that throught his whole speech he didnt let Gregor speak or try to explain. His whole thing was, i thought you were a different person but i obviously thought wrong. Yet he didnt know that on the other side of that door something crazy happen to Gregor. And then look at the way he reacted when Gregor finally came out. What does the manager have to say about that? Does he still think that Gregor is being irresponsible? Ha!

message 23: by Michel (new)

Michel Lopez | 3 comments "if I was Gregor would I think it was fair if my boss came to my house and made negative comments about me..."

ok answering this question...

well it was dumb of the boss to go to his house and start talking bad about him. Even if Gregor didn't like his job he was there all day just to pay of the parents debt.So it was no good of him 2 just go to his house and start talking about him like that.

message 24: by Jeremy (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:33PM) (new)

Jeremy Jones | 8 comments Keshona wrote: "What will Gregor family do now that he has become a bug? How will they pay off their debt? Will Gregor become a human again?"

Answering to this question, I feel that the family might act as society would and outcast him execpt for maybe one(his sister) and basically want nothing to do with him. To pay off there depts they would look to the father and he just would look for someone else in the family to dump responsibility to until they break down on hands and knees and cry. Finally answering that last question, I dont think he is become he is finally and just starting to be on his own, Gregor in the state he is in now has to reply only on himself to do everything and he is being crushed by all of the pressure and now he only going to get stronger just by him being in this situation.

message 25: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Jones | 8 comments Would his sister stay and stick with him all the way?

message 26: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Jones | 8 comments What would motivate Gregor to Change back into a human?

message 27: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 12 comments Jeremy wrote: What would motivate Gregor to change ...

Building up confident in himself and increasing his self-esteem would have indeed motivated him not to think so little of him and could very well help him to become human again.

message 28: by Rana (new)

Rana | 7 comments Even though the book says that this is really not any type of dream , I believe this has become a "state of mind" for every one that we have met in the story thus far. I believe Gregor can only change if he belives he can change and also with the support and confidence of his family in him is the way he could change

message 29: by Devin (new)

Devin | 7 comments Ms. R wrote: "Joshua wrote:

No it was not fair for Gregor's manager to come to his house and belittle him in front of his family..."

I totally agree. This "nerve" and bad behavior is very symbolic for Kafka. ..."

I want to add that I don't think the managers actions were inappropriate because we aren't looking at this from both point of views. If you remember we know that there is a debt owed to manager we dont know how much and we dont know how much has been paid off. I think if someone owed me and ther were taking there slow time to repay it I would be a little upset to.

Ps. a question I have is are we as the readers taking the side of Gregor because we are sympathetic to the fact of his transformation?

message 30: by Margarito (new)

Margarito | 9 comments the fact that he is now a bug and is treated differently would he bring his hopes up and try to become someone in life or is he going to lower his self esteem and believe all his life that he is good for nothing?

message 31: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo | 11 comments Ms. R wrote:I have is are we as the readers taking the side of Gregor because we are sympathetic to the fact of his transformation?

Well in my opinion i think yeah because hes not able to do nothing anymore he is the weak one of the house because everyone sees that bugs are weak and that everybody steps on them thats why i feel people have sympathetic towards him.

message 32: by Gustavo (last edited Feb 06, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

Gustavo | 11 comments I have a question: Would his parents ever know that gregor turned to a bug? (PREDICTIONS?).........

message 33: by Tonysmith12 (new)

Tonysmith12 | 9 comments response to Gustavo: I think his parent did not know that Gregor turned to a bug,that is the qoute from his mother first seem him"Suddenly she leapedup into the air, even though she had seemed so totally lost to the word;she stretched out her arms wide, spread her fingers and shouted:'help, for the love of God, help'"(Kafka 22) obviously, his mother was so surprise, that can proof that Gregors parent did not know that before.
Zhuang Tian

message 34: by Branden (new)

Branden G | 5 comments OK my question is, with all of this symbolism, are we thinking a bit too much into the story, and missing something very important.

message 35: by Branden (new)

Branden G | 5 comments Ms. R wrote: First of all, Ms K?..."
I think she meant Mrs. K... Like Mrs. Kafka lol

message 36: by Ms. R (last edited Feb 09, 2009 06:25PM) (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Jeremy wrote: "What would motivate Gregor to Change back into a human?"

Who's to say he will? Why do you think we, as readers of the text, want or need Gregor to transform back into a human? Does it seem like the humans in the story have such a glorious life?

message 37: by Hectorr23 (new)

Hectorr23 | 7 comments My question is what would happen if Gregor would change back into a human and realizes all the disproportionate of responsibilities between his family. what do you think.

To asnwer Jeremy's Question i think what would motivate gregor is being lonely and invisible in some way. I think i this stry its trying to show you how when you have to take responsibilities you have to go through what ever change even become a bug to accomplish them even if you love ones step on you.

message 38: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 4 comments My concern along with my question is why out of all things, did she choose to turn Gregor into a bug?

I would like to answer Jeremy's question.

I believe that what would motivate Gregor to change back into a human is all his disabilities as a bug. I think that Gregor is realizing that as a bug he doen't have much options. Gregor, if he hasn't already, he will get pretty fed up with te way things are going for him as a bug.

message 39: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo | 11 comments Ms. R wrote:I have is are we as the readers taking the side of Gregor because we are sympathetic to the fact of his transformation?

Well in my opinion i think yeah because hes not able to do nothing anymore he is the weak one of the house because everyone sees that bugs are weak and that everybody steps on them thats why i feel people have sympathetic towards him.

message 40: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
I really enjoy the conversation that is going on here. You all are beginning to look at a lot of interesting ideas. Sometimes I'm just not sure you all know exactly how intelligent you really are. The level of conversation surrounding this book is definitely college level, and I am so proud to be a part of that.

For future posts, keep in mind that I am looking for the conversation aspect of this blog. Interaction with each other will also get you more points.

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica James | 6 comments Commenting on Gustavo's comment he said that you wouldn't they have predicted he'd turn into a bug?................I think if they did they'd probably not behaved the way they did. I don't think they wanted him to turn into a bug..............ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS I HOPE THEY ALL CHANGE IN A POSITIVE WAY! I WANT TO READ A HAPPY ENDING!

message 42: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 7 comments do you think that his family actually cared that he died???
Were those tears of sadness??

message 43: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 7 comments to marcys question:

i think he was trying to prove a point about how he felt. he felt alianted , obviously a bug is alianted to the human race, i think that how he felt so he decided to sahow that

message 44: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 6 comments could it be possible to say that Kafka had gone through a situation very similar to Gregor to make him want to write Metamorphisis?

message 45: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 7 comments What caused Gregor's death?

In response to mayra's question, I think they were sad to loose a member of their family, and their tears were a symbol of reality of what is happening with their family. Things will be changing now that Gregor is gone. I don't think their tears were out of sadness, because it seemed like they seen his death coming, because of the way they treated him.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.