Curie World Lit: Only The BEST discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Kafka Discussion Circle > Kafka, a Modernist?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
This week I would like you to consider if Kafka is indeed portraying Modernist ideals within his short story "Metamorphosis." In order to adequately answer this question you must look over the notes we took in class dicussing the Modernism Movement. Remember you must use at least one quote from the story to back up your claim. Don't forget to ANALYZE this quote. Push your ideas further, always asking yourself, "why is this important" and "so what?" Be the amazing Critical Thinkers I know you all are within

** DO NOT confuse Modernism with Contemporary Literature.

Happy Posting!!

Ms. R

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe | 7 comments I do believe that Kafka is indeed following Modernist ideas. We are able to tell that Kafka is following Modernist ideas by the first sentence in the story. "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled dreams one morning, he found out that he had been transformed in his bed into a enormous bug" (Kafka 11). We see how Kafka uses Modernist ideas by creating a story that was new and different by getting rid of an exposition. In the beginning of most books you would usually have an introduction of the character/s, but in "The Metamorphosis" Kafka went directly into the action. So I believe that with this quote we can definitely see how Kafka follows Modernist ideas.

message 3: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Joe wrote: "I do believe that Kafka is indeed following Modernist ideas. We are able to tell that Kafka is following Modernist ideas by the first sentence in the story. "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled d..."

Joe,

You have made me very happy with your post! Thank you for posting so early, and thank you for formulating a well thought out paragraph. When asked, "what was your favorite part of the day" I will respond, "When Joe posted early about Modernism and Kafka"

Thank you,

Ms. R

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 12 comments I believe Kafka was a Modernist. In Metamorphosis Kafka description of Gregor gives great details and point a mental picture of his transformation as alienation and disconnection. For Kafka to have a man changed "Gregor's new body has little legs and his bug back"(Kafka 15) captures the reality of modern life in both form and content "a new body with little legs and a bug back". Kafka in Metamorphosis reveals how a person facing a overwhelming social force in his life instead of dealing with it changed himsef to something else so he would not have to face it. This was telling how he was alienating himself from all others he left each of us to come up with our own conclusion why such a feeling of disjointedness would occur.

message 5: by Marekjavorek (last edited Feb 03, 2009 07:05PM) (new)

Marekjavorek | 16 comments I also believe that Kafka was a Modernist. In the book Metamorphosis he follows many modernist ideas and ways such as Exposition and Resolution. We can see this just by reading the story. He uses modernist ideas all the time like this time that he is running late to work and he is having a battle with his body and the alarm clock. "And he glanced over toward his alarm clock, which was ticking on the wardrobe, father in heaven! He thought as he was half past six "(Kafka 12). Right there in that quote we can see the modernism, because this can happen to all of us and we can relate to it so it is realistic and modernist idea, the story gets right to the action. The story is full of action and modernist ideas such as Kafka trying to pay off the debt to his manager for his family, that is a common problem that many of us have and we struggle with it every day such as Kafka squirming leg and getting out of bed and going to work he is tired of it. But Gregor fought on like a warrior because he knows that he needs to pay of the debt for his family "I've got to get up , because my train leaves at five" (Kafka 12).So to sum in all up he did get out of bed and he keeps encouraging the same frustrations like us. Job pressure and family pressure in our everyday lives Again we can relate to that, if we can relate to it then it is a modernist idea. Kafka doesn’t play around he transforms a boring story into a story that has a lot of action. Kafka is a modernist.

message 6: by Lucero (new)

Lucero Roman | 6 comments I do believe that kafka is a modernist because everything he writes is all up to date.you could tell by many of the lines in the story such as "waking up this early makes you totally idiotic". a back in the day author would so not write that way. i soooo love his modernist ways!!!

message 7: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Lucero wrote: "...I so love his modernist ways!!!"

:0)

message 8: by Cristal (new)

Cristal (cristal91) | 7 comments I agree with Marekjavorek choice of quote,"And he glanced over toward his alarm clock, which was ticking on the wardrobe, father in heaven! He thought as he was half past six "(Kafka 12). I also agree with her explaination that we all feel that this could happen to us. That is something that a modernist would write because it can relate to today.

message 9: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Cristal wrote: "...because it relates to today"

Crystal, I really like where you and Marek are going with this idea. As you're thinking about this, consider that the Modernist Era existed during the World Wars. Remember, that event though Kafka's literature is still relevant today, he is writing during a completely different time period. Does this change your reading of Kafka as a Modernist?

message 10: by Ana (new)

Ana | 7 comments I also agree with most of the students. All of the following posting have indeed posted , saying that kafka was a " MODERNIST". His ways of saying a thing is really a thought. His way of trying to pay of his familys debt as maverick wrote. He is more focused on trying to go to work, instead of stop being a bug. I personally would be more freaked out about being a bug than being late to work. I love the way that maveric compared kafka to us. How we all are so pressure now a days into just working, and money. I like todays lesson that talked about with no power there is no money!

message 11: by Keshona (new)

Keshona Lewis | 6 comments I do believe that Kafka is following Modernist ideas. We are able to tell that Kafka is following Modernist ideas when he stated "What's happened to me?'' he thougth. It was no dream." (Kafka 11). He made it very clear that he was a modernist. I also agree with Ana about todays topic in class. at first i didn't quite understand what was going on at first until we broke it down on the double-sided notes. At first i was thinking thah Gregor was working just to pay off his parent debt, but i also learned that he doesnt own anything of his OWN AT ALL. So now i have a somewhat understanding of what going on now. My question now is what will his parents do now to pay off their debt if Gregor cant't work now because he's a ernormous bug now??????

message 12: by Luis (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:58PM) (new)

Luis Flores | 5 comments I agree with joshua. His description of that he has now become different and not really feeling human."the balls of his feet contained some sticky substance ...unfortunatly it seemed he had no real teeth.....but instead his jaws were pretty strong... becuase a brown fluid issued from his mouth..."(Kafka19). all those descriptions showing that he has changed and is different from everyone else.I think that people who are alienated would feel as if they were that different and would probably feel like they are different species from the people in society. i think that show a great deal of Modernism in Kafka's writting because Modernist authors focus on the theme of alienation

message 13: by Dishon (new)

Dishon | 8 comments Joe wrote: "I do believe that Kafka is indeed following Modernist ideas. We are able to tell that Kafka is following Modernist ideas by the first sentence in the story. "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled d..."

I agree with Joe 100 percent with the quote he had and the comment he backed it up with. Franz Kafka is indeed portraying Modernism by takinig action in the story right away. To be exact, on the first paragarph and second line he brought out the action. I have never seen or read a book like this one and thats what makes the book so appealing and intriguing.
Joe's quote was, "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled dreams one morning, he found out that he had been transformed in his bed into a enormous bug" (Kafka 11). I see that as Kafka not wasting any time and put out the action right then and there most people will go threw the step by step way to make a book u know first the chracters and the life story and so on, but not Kafka and thats what i delight about this Kafka's book "The Metamorphosis"

message 14: by Dishon (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:56PM) (new)

Dishon | 8 comments Joe wrote: "I do believe that Kafka is indeed following Modernist ideas. We are able to tell that Kafka is following Modernist ideas by the first sentence in the story. "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled d..."

I agree with Joe 100 percent with the quote he had and the comment he backed it up with. Franz Kafka is indeed portraying Modernism by takinig action in the story right away. To be exact, on the first paragarph and second line he brought out the action. I have never seen or read a book like this one and thats what makes the book so appealing and intriguing.
Joe's quote was, "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled dreams one morning, he found out that he had been transformed in his bed into a enormous bug" (Kafka 11). I see that as Kafka not wasting any time and put out the action right then and there. Most people would go threw the step by step way to make a book. U know, first the chracters and the life story and so on, but not Kafka and thats what i delight about this Kafka's book "The Metamorphosis"

message 15: by Maricela (last edited Feb 05, 2009 01:16PM) (new)

Maricela | 5 comments I AGREE WITH MOST STUDENTS THAT BELIEVE THAT KAFKA IS A MODERNIST. AS KAFKA MENTIONS IN THIS BOOK, "WHEN GREGOR WAS ALREADY PROJECTING HALFWAY OUT OF BED- THIS NEW METHOD WAS MORE OF A GAME THAN A HARD RISK, ALL HE NEEDED TO DO WAS KEEP ROCKING BACK AND FORTH..."(KAFKA 15). HERE KAFKA IS LETTING THE READER KNOW ABOUT GREGOR'S SO CALLED "BATTLE", HOW HE STRUGGLES TO GET UP AND USED ALL TYPES OF IMAGERY. THIS NEW "METHOD" FOR GREGOR WAS DIFFICULT. HE NEEDED TO KEEP TRYING HARD ENOUGH TO GET UP BUT HE WAS DOING HIS BEST. KAFKA LETS THE READER KNOW THAT THIS WILL BECOME A NEW CHALLANGE FOR GREGOR.
I DEFENATLY AGREE WITH JOE, ABOUT HOW KAFKA IS A "NEW AND DIFFERENT" MODERNIST. I BELIEVE THAT KAFKA WROTE HIS STORIES TO SHOW OTHERS WHAT HE THOUGHT OF THE WORLD. IM GUESS AT THE TIME HOW KAFKA WAS GROWING UP, BETWEEN THE WARS AND WANTED TO RELATE GREGOR AND THE OTHER CHARACTERS IN THE STORY AS THE NAZI AND JEWS. I ALSO AGREE WITH ANA ABOUT HOW GREGOR IS TRYING TO PAY OFF HIS FAMILY DEBT. HE IS NOT CONCENTRATING ON HOW TO BE A BUG AND IS HAVE TROUBLE. MAYBE THATS WHY KAFKA WANTED TO TRANSFORM GREGOR INSTEAD OF INSTEAD OF SOMEONE ELSE. KAFKA WANTED US TO SEE WHAT GREGOR IS CAPEABLE OF DOING BY TRANSFORMING HIM.

message 16: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Flozak | 4 comments I agree with Joshua because Kafka paints a mental picture in your mind of how Gregor looks like. He frequently describes Gregors legs, body,etc. Kafka is a definite modernist because of his desciption of the characters and the story as a whole.

message 17: by Angelica (new)

Angelica | 6 comments I agree with Josua when he says that a person having such great pressure from society can sometimes alienate themselves from the rest of the world. A person can also have uncertainty about themselves. This uncertainty can be caused from loosing control over their lives, having no power over one's self. Franz Kafka, author of "The Metamorphosis", writes, "His numerous legs, pitifully thin in comparison to the rest of his grith, flickered helplessly before his eyes" (Kafka 11). Kafka decribes Gregor's legs as "pitifully thin", which can mean many different things to each of its readers. This type of literature can be cosidered as Modernist Literature because it captures the reality of modern life in both form and content.

message 18: by Valeria (last edited Feb 05, 2009 04:07PM) (new)

Valeria (val777) | 10 comments I think that Kafka is totally portraying Modernist ideals in this story. If I could I would quote the whole book. Like Joe said from the begining Kafka shows his modernist ideas and even more through out. Even though I can't say I know how Gregor feels about being a bug but I can relate to being pushed around by a manager or even being put down by your family. I know a lot of people know how that feels. Kafka uses the bug as a symbol of a struggle in life. Today everyone struggles with something. It might not be the same battle as Gregor but it is a battle like everyone elses that need to be fought to get through life. We push ourselves just like Gregor. " he told himself again that he couldn't possibly stay in bed...make every sacrifice...freeing himself from bed." (Kafka 14)
At this point Gregor is telling and pushing himself that no matter what I have to get out of bed. It doesnt matter how hard it is I have to do it. Everyday someone goes through the same thing. A single parent struggling everyday to provide for their child. Reminding themselves every morning in bed that they can't sleep in today or call off at work because they have others to care of. Just like Gregor has to payoff his parents debt.

message 19: by Anabel (new)

Anabel | 5 comments I agree with all of them Kafka is a modernist.He writes literature based on reality.He use objects or things an gives it human like qualities or experience people live every day.All things he uses that in real life does not happen like turning into a bug Kafka practically uses this to symbolis what people go throught.I agree with Joshua "Grogor's new body has little legs and his bug back(Kafka15) this leads use to think ha is alieneting him self from others.Kafka throws that of to use to see how some poeple are not social and they alienate them selfs and the bug is a symbol of how he is alienating him self.Kafka wants to throw nonrelistic things and for the readers to see how reality really is and how life bring use a lot of obstecles we want to hide from and not comfront them.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 3 comments I agree with Joe in what he says about this quote. "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled dreams one morning, he found out that he had been transformed in his bed into a enormous bug" (Kafka 11). I agree that Kafka is a modernist because, in modernist writing there's no introduction (exposition) the story just goes straight to the action. Kafka didn't describe anythin in Gregor's life before being a bug he just went into the action when Gregor had already been turned into a bug. Also Kafka uses reality in his story which makes him a modernist. He had Gregor worry about being late to work which everyone in reality have done before.

message 21: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Jones | 8 comments I agree with the crowd on this. Kafka clearly is a modernist. To conclude this you have to simply ask yourself how is Kafka a modernist well for starters ask yourself what is a modernist? A modernist is a person who creates stuff out of the ordinary and new and they capture what is written about and how that text is written. Kafka shows he is a modernist by stating "he plunged his head into the milk almost over his eyes."(kafka 24-25)this is basically demenstrating how Gregor is becoming less human and more like a bug in a way(small, overlooked, and always being stepped on.)

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan Chan | 3 comments I agree with Ana. In the beginning of the book Gregor was freaked out that he turned into a bug but as the story progressed he didn't really care anymore. After Gregor woke up all he cared about was going to work to support his family, if it was a normal way of writing the author would have spent more time show how Gregor was freaked out he turned into bug. Kafka presented a new way of writing literature by showing that Gregor had no problem being a bug and it was like any normal day for him. "...I've got to get up, because my train leaves at five." (Kakfa 12). Gregor clearly states that he hates his job but he cares about his family to pay off that debt.

message 23: by Hectorr23 (new)

Hectorr23 | 7 comments I Have to say that I agree with Jeremy on this one. It looks like Kafka pulls out all this ideas from anywhere but he doesn't these are daily live situtation only difference is he used as bug. if you ask me i think the bug is a methaphor of a way to not fit in society. I believe that Kafka is a modernist because one example is the first line "When Gregor Samsa awoke".... that shows you something out of the ordinary. Now if you ask me about whats going on i think the father and the rest of that family except his mother are trying to make Gregor work so the can live well and buy things that would benefit them.

message 24: by Beah (new)

Beah | 11 comments I agree with Keshona, Gregor does seem like a Modernist. Keshona asked, "My question now is what will his parents do now to pay off their debt if Gregor cant't work now because he's a ernormous bug now??????" To answer her qustion maybe they are going to transform him back into a human. They might even get money by showing him off and make him go to a circus and be a circus freak. That might just work in order to pay off the debt that his parent owe.

So maybe it might be a good thing that he turned into a bug.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 3 comments I do believe Kafka is a modernist. One because Kafka has been transformed into a bug. Another because he creates his own things.

message 26: by Devin (new)

Devin | 7 comments I would have to say I agree with Joshua based on the simple fact that before Gregor's transformation he was able to accomplish his everyday routines. However now that he can no longer do these certain things he has become alienated from his family. This shows 100 percent Kafka's modernist views. Also to make my own judgement Kafka gives his modernist views all through the book so far. To give an example he never fully explains a certain situation he leaves it up to us to make the connection. ..."Gregor Samsa was waking up...he discovered that in bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug" (Kafka 1). Not once in that quote did Kafka explain why he was transformed into this bug he left it up to us as the readers to make our own assumptions. Hint the modernists views on drawing your own conclusion.

message 27: by Jessica (last edited Feb 06, 2009 11:24AM) (new)

Jessica Martinez | 4 comments I agree with Anabel when she says that by Kafka transforming Gregor into a bug, he is alienating Gregor from the rest of society. People really don't pay attention to bugs. Bugs are ignored all the time. I also agree with Devin in the fact that Kafka uses no exposition, whereas modernists don't either. From the beginning of the book he tells us about how Gregor woke up as a bug. Nowhere did he explain why, or how he got to that point, which also means that Kafka is leaving us to make our own conclusions as readers.

message 28: by Armand (new)

Armand | 6 comments I think what make Kafka a modernist, is his strong passion for magical realism which make this book a great one. i like the way he take this book and add magical elements into a group of people lives.with out no warning the people in the book are force to change.that is what i think kafka was tring to point out. no matter what,no matter how many time u get up and do the same thing every day you have to did with change.

message 29: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariag) | 4 comments I'm agree with Jessica that people don't like bugs and they are ignores all the time that's why Kafka choose Gregor to become a bug and not other insect or animal. Since the first line i thought that Kafka is modernist because the book combines reality with fantasy.Also because his sister was the only one who cares a little for him.

message 30: by Guadalupe (new)

Guadalupe L (leon_g) | 7 comments I agree with Joe, the very first sentence of this story already makes Kaftka stand out. I enjoy how his approach to this story is really different. Modernist Literature is interesting when it comes to the Reader/Writer roles. The readers are supposed to come up with their own conclusions. That's what reading is all about. Being able to think and use the imagination. " it there hung a picture that he had recently cut out of an illustrated magazine and housed in a nice, gilded frame. It showed a lady fitted out with a fur hat and fur boa who sat upright, raising a heavy fur muff" (Kaftka 11). This part can be interpreted in many ways. The various meanings of this picture can be endless. I like reading a story that challenges the mind. It makes me want to keep reading so i can figure it out.

message 31: by Nicolemac (new)

Nicolemac | 8 comments ..I believe that Kafka does fall moderinist ways..for one he states "...locking all his doors at night even at home"(kafka 13).Show isolation,keeping to himself eevn in his own.showing the theory that modernist believe everyone keeps to themselves, they do not tella nyone anything or feel it is neccessary to..Also how in the very begging he just jumps to stating he turned into a bug, we dont know how his day was before or anything juts boom hes a bug!!I also agrree with Joshua he descibes very wella clear picture to the t how Gregor looks and I agree to i love the modernist way of writing. something new but also faces the challenges of eveyday lives wrapped up in one..yeah!

message 32: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo | 11 comments I agree that Kafka is a modernist because hes showing reality in the story things that happen in real life.And how people approach those things like Nicolemac said when Kafka stated that "...locking all his doors at night even at home"(Kafka 13). It is true Kafka is showing that people like to keep it to themselves and like to approach things to be more independent for themselves that's why Kafka is stating that quote as using it as reality. And I really think Nicoleman has a great point.

message 33: by Margarito (new)

Margarito | 9 comments I agree with Marekjavorek because kafka uses everyday realistic events and everytime he jumps right into action. He never explains the begining of the stories or how it all started always right into the action. "...he foubd that he had been transformed in his bed into an enormous bug"(kafka 11). here in the beggining of the story he is starting right in the action just like a regular person would just that adding some fiction to it which makes it modernism literature.

message 34: by Melina (new)

Melina Garcia | 5 comments "I am speaking here in the name of your parents and your employer, and i am asking you quite seriously for an immediate, lucid explanation"(kafka 17).

i think that kafka is really modernist to what it is now... i mean the people that are poor work really hard to pay off their debts and just when their one day they miss work the boss goes all crazy on them... i think gregor boss should chill with him i mean he works really hard for him and really needs that job, gregor might be sick and hes going to make him work.

message 35: by Tonysmith12 (new)

Tonysmith12 | 9 comments I totally agree with Joshua, Kafka was a representation of Modernism, because I think the main purpose of the Modernism is create a role which is different between others and make readers find a real-life problem from the story like every people is distant to each other. Kafka did it, he found the relationship between everybody and made it larger, he created the role named Gregor which was became a big bug, he loss every feature does human have but memory, “Gregor's new body has little legs and his bug back"(Kafka 15); "The balls of his feet contained some sticky substance ...unfortunately it seemed he had no real teeth.....but instead his jaws were pretty strong... because a brown fluid issued from his mouth..."(Kafka19), he would not community with others; he hate the foot that he liked before; he was too ugly to everybody does not like him. He just thought himself, he was so useful to his family before, but now everything is changed because he became a bug, because he cannot work anymore, because he is no useful to everybody. At the end of the story, he was abundant and dead that is not at home.
This story has a lot symbolize, different role stand for different kind of people in the world. But that both show one point: people are distant to each other, human is the most brutal animal in the world! Kafka was one of representation of Modernists, he was a great author!
Zhuang Tian

message 36: by Mahalia (new)

Mahalia (hayae) | 2 comments Learning about Modernist has changed my view on how a story should be written. The book Metamorphosis shows exactly what modernist is. In the story it captures the reality of modern life in both form and content. When the main character Gregore says" Just as always the maid went to the door"(kafka15). That confused me completely. I dont understand why they have a maid when Gregore is working to pay off their debt. But that is what Modernist is, it makes you think instead and draw your own conclusin instead of just giving you a answer. Reading this story you can also see the comparison between Gregore life and todays society. Modernist is known to reflect reality of the world. I also enjoy not reading a traditional plot structure. Modernist shows lot of emotion and expression through their grammar instead of keeping it formal. I agree with Joe and this book is different from other books we read.

message 37: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 6 comments Devin wrote: "Not once did Kafka explain why he was transformed into this bug he left it up to us as the readers to make our own assumptions..."

I totally agree with how Devin sees the way Kafka uses modernism. Kafka jumps right into action in order to leave the reader wondering whats gonna happen next. He most definitly leads you to assume whats next. Kafka wants you to ask questions about the eventst that happen, he states "...I have the money together to pay off my parents' debt to him"(Kafka 12). His parents should be fully capable of working and paying off their own debts. This might lead you to think that Gregor is just being used for his money since his father controls the spending of it anyways. Kafka never once mentioned that they didn't work or couldn't and like Devin said it hints the modernists views on drawing your own conclusion.

message 38: by Quitnin (new)

Quitnin | 7 comments Kakfa is a modernist, his ways of changing things are very differnet and descriptive. He allows detail to tell his story and many authors don't do that. " In the palor, as Gregor saw through the crack in the door", (Kafka 25). Another author trying to symbolize an open door probaly would have just said the door was slightly open but Kakfa uses specfic ajectives so that the reader can get a picture in his head.I agree with Mahalia when she wrote that the book "Metamorphosis" portrays the exact objectives as a modernist. Kafka, not purposely, but he confuses readers to think the opposite and without the full understanding of the meaning to his writing effects me and everyone as a reader, Kafka set out to be different and it worked.

message 39: by Branden (new)

Branden G | 5 comments To me Kafka is most definitely a modernist. If you would have told me his background before I read the story I could have told you that. Kafka is a walking play on words, everything about him from his quotes to his text just screams solitude, insanity, and modernism. I agree with Val, who made a wonderful statement by saying If I could I would quote the whole book. When the giant bug was brought up at the beginning of the story, i thought it would be more of a physical alienation. Such as having other people besides his family attack him and ridicule him. But no, not Kafka. He's so into the whole solitude thing, that Gregor won't even go out to get ridiculed! That would be kinda cool to see a life size harmless bug walking down the street selling stuff. HAHAHA!

message 40: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 4 comments I do believe Kafka is a modernist because of the way she describes the whether in the story. The way I think that Kafka portrays modernists ideas is not exactly by being so much as a modernist but by going around the bush. You have to kind of read inbetween the lines while reading her story to realize she is truely a modernist.

message 41: by Angel (new)

Angel | 4 comments I agree with what Mahalia said that "learning about Modernists has changed my view on how a story should be wtitten". I think Modernists have a very unique way of making the reader think more about the text and not just simply reading it. A good example of this is the very first line on Metamporphis when Kafka starts off by saying that Gregor wakes up as a bug. At first I kind of got confused because obviously thats not real, but then when I learned more about Modernists and their ideals I realized thats the way they write.

message 42: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo | 11 comments I agree that Kafka is a modernist because hes showing reality in the story things that happen in real life.And how people approach those things like Nicolemac said when Kafka stated that "...locking all his doors at night even at home"(Kafka 13). It is true Kafka is showing that people like to keep it to themselves and like to approach things to be more independent for themselves that's why Kafka is stating that quote as using it as reality. And I really think Nicoleman has a great point.

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica James | 6 comments I agree with everyone who says that Kafka is a "Modernist" because his style of writing is very "modern". Well at least in my opinion it is. Its like he focuses on the more old fashion styles of life. Especially in how he focuses on gender roles. IF he isn't modern then I don't know what is.

message 44: by Yajaira (new)

Yajaira | 8 comments In the story “Metamorphosis” by Franz Kafka… he makes me believe that he is a modernist. For example, on the first page, first line of the story, he’s says “When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled dreams one morning he found that he had been transformed…” (Kafka 11). He starts in the middle of action, not like every other story that I’ve read which start at the very beginning (once upon a time…). This means that those other authors were not modernist. Modernists abandon traditional plot structure, which means they never have a resolution, they always reflect the reality of the world & there are millions of possibilities never a solution.

message 45: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 7 comments First I would like to start of by saying that Kafka was a modernist because he didn't follow the traditional plot structure most writters use. Kafka often wrote in metaphoric terms. For example comparing a man to a bug and how he felt he was being squashed by his family. Kafka was a type of writter who made you think of your own conclusions rather than him stating it himsef through his text.

message 46: by Ms. R (new)

Ms. R | 58 comments Mod
Seniors,

You had a wonderful conversation here over all. It has been great to look back at all our beliefs throughout the reading of "Metamorphosis." I am so proud of your understanding of Modernist beliefs and your ability to apply these beliefs to your reading of the text. I am also happy to see how many of you were happy to learn about Modernist beliefs. Don't let go of that. Remember how this helped you.

I hope you all still agree with your comments now that we have completed our reading of the story.

The proudest teacher that ever was,

Ms. R

message 47: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 7 comments I believe Kafka was a modernist. in the beginning of the story it begins with, "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled dreams one morning, he found out that he had been transformed in his bed into a enormous bug" (Kafka 11). Modernist believed it was better to get rid of all the introduction and exposition. In this Story kafka began in that same matter, by getting rid of the intro and going staright to the action. The modernist also believed in people being alianted and not having a happy eneding. Both those things were in the story Metamorphisis. So yes i believe he was a modernist

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.