The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) The Maze Runner discussion


349 views
Anyone else think this was the only good book in the series?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Mojoboy31 SPOILERS FOR BOOKS TWO AND THREE...

I loved Maze Runner, I really did, then with book two the entire feel changed, characters changed, and it became a basic "zombie survival" series. And what series would be complete without a lame love triangle?

What started out so interesting, became tired and lame in books two and three.


message 2: by em (new) - rated it 4 stars

em I didn't like this book too much, but I liked the last two. The Scortch Trials was my favorite.


message 3: by Tina J (last edited Sep 06, 2012 01:17AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tina J I actually preferred The Scorch Trials!
It was also my favourite out of the trilogy.

I wasn't too keen on the 1st one.
Maybe because I just found it annoying how everyone was so cryptic with Thomas, when there was no need to be.
And in The Scorch Trials, everyone was in the same boat, as no one knew what to expect.

And I don't think love triangles are lame at all.
I think it made the book(s) more interesting!


Mojoboy31 Everyone except Brenda, who knew everything, but couldn't say...

Love triangles have their place, not saying they don't. But does it need to be everywhere?

Seems like every book I pick up has a protagonist with two love interests, or a protagonist who's in love with someone, who's pining for someone else...

The worst ones are the ones like The Maze Runner, where they introduce a love interest in book one, and stick with it throughout, then they try and introduce a triangle in the second book.


[Coco] The Death Cure was the best. Scorch Trials was kinda boring at times.


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the Scorch Trials was my favorite. Didn't like the Death Cure. I liked the Maze Runner a lot though.


Greta i agree with the original poster. i can't even remember if i finished the second book, and i didn't have interest in the third.


Kayla I did like this book the best. The Death Cure was pretty good, and the Scorch Trials I think just couldn't measure up the first one


Mojoboy31 I don't think either measured up with the first one. The first one was more a complete story. It was mysterious, interesting, and suspenseful. It introduced mysteries and likable characters, then the second and third books were nothing but nonstop suspense, and twists and turns.


Connor yeah the second book didnt hold my attention


Zeterniouss i liked all of them but my fav was the Death Cure. but i also kinda hated it because...
(SRRY FOR THE SPOILER AHEAD IF U HADNT READ THE ENTIRE SERIES)
...of the ending. TERESA IS KILLED AND THOMAS HAS TO KILL NEWT!!! honestly i cried while reading their deaths. he loved Teresa,got really angry at her,then loved her again. and Newt was his best friend besides Minho and her. and i suppose it does work to. the only way the world can be itself again is if the immunes repoppulate the planet and newt wasnt immune. BUT teresa was, y did she hav to die?


Mojoboy31 @Jonasan, she hadda die so Thomas could make out with Brenda at the end of the book, lol...


Zeterniouss but he just began trusting her again. its so dissapointing


Chris i thought the whole series was amazing


Jennifer Tanko I think this was the strongest, but really just because I think the mystery is the really fun part in works like this. I also prefer the first season of Lost of that reason. I like the not knowing better than the finding out. That being said, I just couldn't get through The Kill Order. Anyone else have trouble with that? I got halfway through and didn't care about the plot or characters...


Barbara I think this one was The Best.

I DESPISE love triangles. To me it feels like an author cop-out. It's like saying "There's not enough action and tension so I'll create some this way..." I kind of got tired of the twists in Scorch Trials. It got to be rather predictable so that whenever something "good" happened, I knew it wasn't what it seemed.

Hated Teresa being killed in Death Cure. Didn't like Brenda all that much. Didn't like the seemingly abrupt ending to Death Cure. I want to know more about where they escaped to and how that "oasis" came to be there.


Mojoboy31 Anybody else skip The Kill Order?


Chloe I loved the scorch trails and I'm getting the death cure


Zeterniouss I READ THE KILL ORDER!! its amazing and tells how the flare was released and evrything before the maze


Mojoboy31 But we already knew most of it. At least most of it was implied in the second and third book... There really wasn't much that made me hunger to read the Kill Order...


message 21: by Nur (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nur no offense to anyone who likes the 2nd and the third book, but personally I got soo bored in the 2nd book I wished I never even started it, because basically just like "Mojoboy31" said the series turned into a dumb zombie survival thing.... I don't even know where that came from, seriously I loved the Maze RUNNER but not the zombie killers Scorch Trials.. I don't mean to offend anyone but that's just my opinion..


Zeterniouss it didnt turn into a zombie survival thing. i dont mean to offend u ppl, but that just sounds ridiculous. it has always been about thomas and the gladers defeating wicked and getting their memories bak. and there ALSO were clues that the cranks would show up in the maze runner, just not in detail of wat the world was like. ben, gally and alby said something bout the world being destroyed and a disease called the flare. and that old lady who got run over said that thomas would save them from the flare. obviously that was a clue it was a disease that damaged the mind by the way she acted. gosh, u should really dig deep into the novels ur reading. they giv clues to wats gunna happen all the time, thats why its called FORESHADOWING


Zeterniouss and the kill order doesnt just tell u about the flare, but how it spread in detail. it also tells u exactly wat it does to the mind. unlike the death cure, the disease is much worse in the kill order. it also explains alot about the sun flares. another reason u should dig deep into the words of these novels, AND FINISH THE SERIES!!!!


Zeterniouss Chris wrote: "i thought the whole series was amazing"

agreed


Zeterniouss Mojoboy31 wrote: "@Jonasan, she hadda die so Thomas could make out with Brenda at the end of the book, lol..."

oh right and he doesnt make out with brenda, not exactly atleast


Mojoboy31 JönαΘαn wrote: "it didnt turn into a zombie survival thing. i dont mean to offend u ppl, but that just sounds ridiculous. it has always been about thomas and the gladers defeating wicked and getting their memories..."

No offense taken... And no offense, but you are wrong...

I'm gonna answer your post with a quote from book two.

"Rose has my nose... And it really blows."

It was a guy walking around with rotting flesh, and he was missing his nose... He was a zombie!

It is pretty much the exact same plot from the Resident Evil movies.

Just cause the book dubbed them "Cranks", doesn't meant they weren't zombies.
Which is fine, a lot of people love that genre. It is very popular.

But with all the mystery of the Glade, and collective amnesia of the Gladers. A zombie survival was a monumental "let down"...


Allison Mojoboy31 wrote: "JönαΘαn wrote: "it didnt turn into a zombie survival thing. i dont mean to offend u ppl, but that just sounds ridiculous. it has always been about thomas and the gladers defeating wicked and gettin..."

yes! I agree with you 1000% :D

As soon as I realized that it was about the zombie apocalypse I was like "oh goodness...." I liked the first one... liked the second one a little, then that last one... didn't like it so much.


Mojoboy31 @Allison... Yeah, I think the third was my least favorite as well...


Allison Mojoboy31 wrote: "@Allison... Yeah, I think the third was my least favorite as well..."

Yeah. It was too......zombie. The second book I could handle because sure, there was a mention of them and you met one,mor two, or a whole bunch, but it wasn't THE ENTIRE BOOK. Whereas the third one was....zombie throughout THE ENTIRE BOOK.


Zeterniouss cranks arent zombies btw. zombies hav to die. cranks are diseased freaks. and also, if cranks had enough intellegence to speak, they arent zombies.

also, i found out theres a real version of the flare. its called the mad cow disease. u eat an infected cow u get creutzfeldt disease. u dont get as demented as a crank but pretty much the same thing. so they u go. ur wrong. and with my explanation, im not intirely wrong. as i said it has always been about thomas and the gladers taking over wicked.

the scroch trials wasnt a zombie survival thing either because it was part of the trials. the scorch was most likely specifaclly designed for that very reason.
and the death cure wasnt a zombie survival thing because... k i hav to giv u credit for that. but not all of it was tho. wat about wen they were at wicked hq. first quarter of the book was trying to get out, escape. another quarter was in denver wen it wasnt annhialated. then comes another quarter, thats the "zombie survival thing"; or wat i would call the crank palace hostility hour mixed with red-arm capture.
THE FINAL QUARTER OF THE BOOK is at wicked hq. im more right than u. BY 3 QUARTERS!


Mojoboy31 @JonaOan...

Lets review the plot, shall we?... They escape the Glade to find out that the world is overrun with Zombies, and their goal is to?......... Wait for it.......... Wait for it...... Wait for it................ "SURVIVE"... Sounds like a zombie "survival" to me...

And you're forgetting Thomas had to run from "infected" scientists while he was at WICKED HQ...


Karlee I think that the Scorch Trials was the best. It had the intensity that a good book really needs. This book was pretty good too, though.


Zeterniouss @Mojoboy31

actually im not forgetting. i just didnt want to put it in there becuz i already made my point. and their is goal inst just to survive. i could say that ur forgetting that their MAIN goal is to destroy wicked and help the cranks. wich at the end... we find out that theirs no cure and thomas is okay with that, becuz he is with his friends( which are more like family).

im beginning to think that theres no stopping with this argument. lets just call it truce, we're both right, no winner and just be friends... ish.

reasons for that?...:
ur right with the cranks acting like zombies, but theyre not like stereotypical zombies where they just eat 'brains'. but im right that for them to be true zombies, theyd hav to die, not hav a disease.

ur right about them having to survive. but im right about them having to survive only to stop wicked.


i rest my case


message 34: by Tess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tess i sort of liked the second one but this is by far the best in the series.


Karlee I thought the second was by far the best


Mojoboy31 @Karlee, the pacing of book two was definitely better.


Karlee @Mojoboy31
Yes it was. I alao felt like they it explained a lot more


Zeterniouss i cant believe u didnt agree or disagree with my comment mojoboy. it shouldve been good enough for u to atleast say something about it.


Mojoboy31 Τάλως wrote: "i cant believe u didnt agree or disagree with my comment mojoboy. it shouldve been good enough for u to atleast say something about it."

I had thought that I'd read something in your post about not coming back to say anything else. So I was going to give you the last word... I must have been confused with another thread somewhere else.

In response to your post, I would say...

If you remember, there were two or three different groups, each with different goals. Teresa's group for example though that "W.I.C.K.E.D was good."

Some just wanted to get some payback for their dead friends and overall life of suffering.

The only thing they had in common, was wanting to live. Their MAIN goal was to survive.

I have to go with "zombies don't actually exist", so I don't think there's any such thing as "true zombies". People who have lost their minds, and have rotting flesh qualify imo.

Either way, I think that after the mystery Maze Runner introduced, the "crank" revelation was highly disappointing... And how many completely impossible things happened in the book?

And the explanation of the impossible?

Some random line about some "advanced technology"?


Zeterniouss huh, well, once again that just adds to more reasons why our argument will nevr end completely. only because we just get tired9which i have)
so what my understanding is that u agree in a sense, but u still disagree. but then thats the same with me too.i really liked the death cure. but must agree the maze runner is better in some parts


Mojoboy31 Τάλως wrote: "huh, well, once again that just adds to more reasons why our argument will nevr end completely. only because we just get tired9which i have)
so what my understanding is that u agree in a sense, but..."


Each book is stronger in certain parts than others. I just think the style of books two and three were so vastly different than the mystery, and wonder of book one that they barely feel related.

After book one, were any of us expecting a zombie apocalypse?


Michelle Mojoboy31 wrote: "SPOILERS FOR BOOKS TWO AND THREE...

I loved Maze Runner, I really did, then with book two the entire feel changed, characters changed, and it became a basic "zombie survival" series. And what seri..."

************DITTO*******************


Zeterniouss mojoboy-
i sorta expected some mentally damaged ppl. but then again, it wasnt as i expected


message 44: by Bud (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bud Cobb Maze Runner definitely separated itself from the other two. I thought Scorch was just too fast paced at certain points and too erratic, but that might have been to set the tone of this chaotic world they found themselves in.

Death Cure definitely amped down, but I also felt that Dashner bull rushed his way through this just to finish the series.

I am reading Kill Order right now and it is definitely better than the previous two. No love triangle, lost of suspense and tension. His writing remains the same though.


message 45: by Tess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tess thats what i though exactly. the scourch trials, death cure, and the kill order was just blah.


 Madi Mullens eh its sorta good i mean the maze runner got me into the book really good and it was good


message 47: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Zeterniouss wrote: "cranks arent zombies btw. zombies hav to die. cranks are diseased freaks. and also, if cranks had enough intellegence to speak, they arent zombies.

also, i found out theres a real version of the f..."


In 28 days later the zombies aren't dead - they're infected with rage. Just pointing that out. There's two types of zombie films - the old undead kind, and now the biological warfare kind. Just pointing that out - I had to do an exam on zombie films for my films studies x


Kelly Brigid Honestly, I think the first book had the coolest "idea", as in I liked the story of it. It was original, interesting, and I liked it a lot. I think the first book could've been written 'better' but I still loved it. The second and third book I think were written better but the story wasn't as good (I still loved them a lot though). The only book I didn't like very much was The Kill Order. It was okay I guess, but I like TMR trilogy books more. Personally, I think The Death Cure was the best written book in the series. I know a lot of people don't like this book because of the "unanswered questions" by the ending of the book (and two certain deaths in this book); I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I find that kind of pathetic. The ending is supposed to be abrupt. You're not supposed to get a "happily ever after ending". This is a realistic ending. I think most people don't like this book to, just cause of the "love triangle" ending.


MrEkitten I loved the first book. I felt after the "warnings" in the second book, it became a "who was dumber" book. I was so far ahead of the characters that I wanted to slap them. Then between the near end of the second book and the whole third book, there were too many things that had to line up perfectly for everything to work. If just one thing went wrong, then everyone dies, and everyone's plans are worthless.

Trying to explain without spoilers is hard. I basically finished the third book just to say I completed the series, not that I cared who lived/died anymore.

Just my opinion.


Cathy Without a doubt, Maze Runner is in a different league than its sequels. It's almost not worth having the closure of the events in Scorch Trials and the Death Cure.

I regret having pre-ordered the Kill Order back in the day.


« previous 1
back to top