Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Paradise Lost
This topic is about Paradise Lost
Book Issues > Question about combining/separating

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Isabell (Purzel) | 50 comments When adding the LibriVox edition of Paradise Lost, I noticed that there are actually two different editions, one from 1667 in ten books and another from 1674 in twelve books (see Wikipedia entry).

My first impulse in this case would be to treat each edition as a different work and separate the two editions accordingly (which might be difficult because many editions don't state what text they contain). Is this impulse right in this case or are the two texts similar enough that all editions should be combined into one work?

I've also noted that several prose adaptions and annotated editions with additional sources/content are combined with the original verse. I suppose those at least should be separated?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments We only separate substantially different editions i.e. more than 80% different.

the editions with 10 vs 12 "books" should be combined as should the annotated versions.

The adaptions should have the adapter listed in the primary author position with the original author in the secondary position but make sure to separate the works prior to swapping authors as adaptions should not be combined.

This thread has some discussion

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Isabell (Purzel) | 50 comments Thanks, Paula.

I'll try to sort the adaptions out when I have some free time on my hands.

message 4: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments I have been trying to do this with work like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and eventually GAVE UP!

I hate adaptations that use the same name. CURSES!

message 5: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments Paula wrote: "We only separate substantially different editions i.e. more than 80% different."

can you elaborate more about this, what constitute as more than 80% difference? it's such a huge difference.
In my mind, even when a book is split in halves, it will only have 50% difference with the original book. I know the example sound silly but 80% difference is really huge.