Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > Forgot the name of a book?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Feb 02, 2009 10:25AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments This is an very helpful Group here at goodreads. When you forget a title of a book but know some details, you post it here and most of the time someone else has read it and can help.

I think I've put up about five with very limited information and got titles and authors of 4. That's pretty good odds.

I thought it could be helpful to anyone who is as forgetful as me, LOL

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Yes, I like that group!
Sometimes I dip into it just to see if I can answer anyone's queries, but usually they've been answered already. = )
Thanks for posting the link!

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I do both, ask and try to answer. A lot of people belong to the group, making the chances of finding your title very good.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6311 comments If there is anything more frustrating than forgetting the name of a story, book or author & hunting it, I can't think of what it is. We're SO lucky to have the Internet today. So many books & help available at the click of a mouse.

Back in the 70's & 80's, I'd borrow a book from the library & read it. Later, I'd try to find sequels or another by the author & just have a time of it. Since the late 80's, it's been much easier. Now it's an absolute snap.

I remember being bugged by 2 short stories for years. I thought I read them in one book, but couldn't remember who wrote them or what the book was. I was on GEnie at the time & asked at the SF Roundtable (a group). I had the names of the stories & titles of the books they could be found in within hours. Wow! Now I hardly think about how convenient this is.

Used to be if I even knew about a book I wanted & it wasn't right there on the shelf, it was a lengthy order period - if it was even possible to order. Now click over to Amazon & it's on its way immediately. Awesome!!!

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Glad to see you're back, Jim. My sister is still without power.

We are lucky with all the technology we have available to us.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Wow! Thanks for the link, Jackie.
I'm going there immediately to post a question! (g)

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6311 comments Any ideas on when she might get it back, Jackie? That's terrible. My boss' parents are still without it & it will likely be another 2 weeks. A pole out in a field that serves 3 houses needs replacing. Hard to get to & no much bang for the buck.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments She has it by now; last night the power company was working on their lines.

Thanks.

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Good to know your sister's OK now, Jackie.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I'm glad too. My neice has a newborn, so I was worried about her too. I haven't heard anything about her so I'm assuming she's OK to, or else my sister would have told me.

Now comes the clean up. I know how nasty that can be.

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments How old is your sister's baby, Jackie? Have you seen her yet?

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments She's my niece's baby, she was born on Thanksgiving Day. I'm a great-aunt!
No, I haven't seen her, none of us could afford a trip. Once, my sister and I went 10 years without seeing each other. We talked on the phone but it's not the same.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6311 comments You can come & visit me at the same time! Double your fun!!!

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments We might take you up on that wonderful offer some time in the future. They wouldn't be able to pry us apart, because I know once we got in the same room, it would be a major bookfest, book discussions.
I would have so much fun with your family, because they all read.
I find nothing as interesting as books. And the people who read them.

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 03, 2009 04:15PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "She's my niece's baby, she was born on Thanksgiving Day. I'm a great-aunt!
No, I haven't seen her, none of us could afford a trip. Once, my sister and I went 10 years without seeing each other. ..."

Oops, I'm slipping with my reading comprehension. How embarrassing. (g) Congrats on becoming a great aunt, Jackie!

Gee, I shouldn't complain. My sisters are only an hour away. In fact my younger sister says she plans to come and watch the Academy Awards with me. We've been doing that for several years now. It's becoming a tradition.

You should take Jim up on his offer. Then you could see your sister and meet Jim too!

message 16: by Jackie (last edited Feb 03, 2009 04:23PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments As soon as we can afford it. We've been wanting to get to Kentucky for years now. My sister has been here 3 times, once with the family, once by herself and the last time was to pick up one of Juneau's siblings from the next litter after his.

message 17: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments What took your sister to Kentucky, Jackie?