Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) Clockwork Prince discussion

Is Jem hiding something?

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia So basically I know that they've been a lot of theories going around about Jem being evil, which is something I sincerely do not believe, and im not questioning this. But what if he is hiding something? I'm not saying he's an evil character. Not at all. I 100% love Jem and ship him with Tessa completely, but I cant help but ponder my mind on a few things.

For starters, why is it that we hardly get his POV? I know we got his POV with him meeting Tessa, and the Dirty Sexy Bedroom Scene, but these were extras and plus Will gets a lot more moments from his POV. I remember someone once asked Cassie whether there was a reason that we dont get to really see his POV, and she said yes. So what could the reason be?

Secondly, I hate to say it, but we really dont know much about him. Yes he is a beautiful, kind and good-natured character. Yes we know that he was tortured by a demon and his parents were killed and he has an illness. But what of his early life? With Will, we are told about his parents, his sisters, his father's gambling, his fear of ducks(haha)--but you see where im going here. With Jem, we know very little about his past as a child and his life in Shanghai. SO why is this? Is it simple because it isn't needed for the story? Because I have a feeling that something about his past/parents/family may be linked to the plot. Again, I am not saying he is evil. Maybe he has a secret that he himself doesn't know?

Also, i think there was another question posted on tumblr or twitter or im not sure that asked Cassie if we could get Jem's parents and uncle's name. She said that she was going to put all the names in the family tree at the back of clockwork princess-if i recall correctly. So why didnt she just say there and then? Is his parents names some sort of a spoiler? Another thing that is weighing on my mind.

I don't know, I just want to hear other people's thoughts on this, because a lot of theories have been going around and I cant help but get influenced by them lol. Is it wrong to think he may be hiding something? And if you do think hes hiding something, what could it be?

JoJo Huh, never even thought of this...how did I miss it...yeah it seems really fishy!!!

Estelle (E) It would totally make sense that the last book of the trilogy is more about Jem's past, and himself.
But I think the reason why we know more about Tessa and Will's story is because they are both the main characters (which is why they will most probably end up together).
In order to the story development to make sense, I think we will definitely have more of Jem's background in the C. Princess.
(He's not really dying??! What??!!)
:-)

Hannah I've never seen the the teaser ur not really dying?

message 6: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia Hannah and Estelle,I think the teaser that Alexandria is referring to is the one that Cassie shared a few months back from the scene where Will and Jem first meet--which will be the prologue of Clockwork Princess.
If you go to the link here: http://tmisource.com/the-books/the-in...
and scroll down to snippet 12, Will says to Jem:
“You are not really dying,” Will said, the oddest tone to his voice, “are you?”
But I think what Will means by this is that he cant quite get his head around it, not that hes not actually dying (if you see what i'm saying here)
Wow I totally agree with you guys though--there'll probably be more about Jem's past that'll come up and complete the story. Something that he probably wont be aware about, and something that'll come as a shock to all of us.I don't know if anyone remembers this, but was there not like a question or post on twitter to Cassie Clare regarding which institutes we will see in the upcoming books? And she said the Shanghai institute? So maybe they have to somehow go back to Shanghai for something to do with him? Sorry I cant draw up a link--i cant seem to find where it was from now.
But Estelle--wouldnt you kind of count Jem as a main character? Considering he is part of the love triangle, but I see what you mean. Ugh I cant wait for this book!

Jennifer WOWZERS!!! That would put a serious spin on things. BUUTTTTT then Will and Tessa could be together and live happily ever after. How is there to be a happy ending when Tessa is still alive in TMI and neither Will nor Jem are alive( I think anyways)?

Gabby Lia wrote: "Hannah and Estelle,I think the teaser that Alexandria is referring to is the one that Cassie shared a few months back from the scene where Will and Jem first meet--which will be the prologue of Clo..."

Yeah that's what i thought about the quote.

Cathryn Ferrara Interesting, I had not noticed the lack of Jem's POV but I think I always sort of put it off as he is not the main character like Tessa and Will, I see it as their story and he is just a sub-plot like Charlotte/Jessie/Henry. I think we will get more of his past in Princess there is just to much unexplained and somehow he and Tessa have to break up so it may be tied to that as well.

message 10: by Estelle (E) (last edited Sep 06, 2012 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Estelle (E) Lia wrote: "Hannah and Estelle,I think the teaser that Alexandria is referring to is the one that Cassie shared a few months back from the scene where Will and Jem first meet--which will be the prologue of Clo..."

I see Will and Tessa as main characters because of the lack of Jem's POV.
Yes Jem is part of the love triangle but only because of the circumstances. The real love story is between Will & Tessa which is there, but can't happen.
But!!!! If Clockwork Princess is about Jem, then he gets to become as important character as Will and Tess and then, my whole theory on: Will & Tess together gets shattered.... so! I don't know!
I haven't read TMI yet and the reason is that I want to read Clorkwork Princess first...but I don't think I'd be able to wait!!!!!!

Breeze Maybe Jem is dying and he and Tessa will marry but he will die before the book ends from a sacrifice he makes to save Will/Tessa(in a battle not his addiction) regarding his past that comes back to face him. He will die giving them his blessing to be together. We will know his past and his story then we will find out Tessa is with child but Will still will keep his distance until the end just like Clary's mother and Luke.

Gabby Yeah. We'll look back at this when Clockwork princess comes out and we'll know :)

Eva Inevitable I hope he isnt related to the Morgernsterns!!

Elliegrace Alexandria wrote: "Yess!!! I keep reading snippets for Clockwork Princess and I know there is something more to him!
"your not really dying are you" That one really had me thinking. but i definetly see what you mean!..."

really!! where did you find the snippets ive been looking EVERYWHERE!!

Gabby On cassies blog:
http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/sear... (Clockwork Princess)
http://tmisource.com/the-books/the-mo... (City of Lost Souls)
http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/... (CLOCKWORK PRINCESS- all of them!!!)
http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/... (City of Heavenly fire!)

and here are some extras from previous books:
http://fuckyeahmortalinstruments.tumb...

message 16: by AA (new) - added it

AA The Awesome Just a quick Question I'm pretty confused about:
Lots of times in Comments are referring to Jem /Will POV what does it stand 4?
OMG I can't wait till March 19 2013 it's to far away
172 days & 2 hours & 31 Minutes
UGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUGH

-A

Cmpeeler Firstly I have personnaly realized that authors (if they're good ones, and this one Is ) don't do things for no reason. If the main character picks up a rock that rock in some way affects the story, and events that may seem random at first will be later revealed, especially in series. If things were random then the plot would be all shifty and editors would claim the author gets off topic so, my conclusion is that every thing told ( not told) in CA and CP will be resolved in CPrincess.

message 18: by Funmilayo (last edited Oct 09, 2012 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Funmilayo Adams AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS THIS RELATIONSHIP WOULD BE AKWARDD. TESSA IS IMMORTAL.........

Eva Inevitable A wrote: "Just a quick Question I'm pretty confused about:
Lots of times in Comments are referring to Jem /Will POV what does it stand 4?
OMG I can't wait till March 19 2013 it's to far away
172 days & 2 ho..."

POV stands for point of view

message 20: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali Jem is NOT evil. You guys are over-analyzing the book.

Eva Inevitable There is no way Jem is evil he's a sweetheart x

Amanda (BookMuffins) Huh. Wow. Never realized that.
Now that I do think about, it seems fishy.
As an avid and experienced reader, usually the "nice guy" betrays them.
Oh no.
If Jem is a traitor, I will be so devastated.
I love Jem. He can't be bad.
He just CAN'T!

Ashley I really want Tessa to be with Will so I was really really REALLY hoping that Jem was evil and I have been reading people's ideas and it really seems possible. However, I read snippets from Clockwork Princess and they made me doubt myself. A couple of them are about Jem and it makes him seem like the poison is killing him in that moment and it seems like he is still nice. There is all this speculating about this book but I think that in the end no matter how convincing an idea seems we really won't know until we read the book which is taking way too long to come out!

Flora (Ludacris) ♥ I don't freaking care about what the third book will be about. I don't give a damn. *breaks down and cries* Ugh. So much pressure, shipping Jem and Tessa.

Jem, you mustn't die. It will break both mine and Will's hearts. Ahhh!!

Jennifer Definetly agree he's hiding something!! I guess if prefer him evil rather than dead ;)

Ashley I agree with you Jennifer. Totally and completely

Sierra i think he is hiding something but i think he is good

Sierra Funmilayo wrote: "AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS THIS RELATIONSHIP WOULD BE AKWARDD. TESSA IS IMMORTAL........."

yes i think you are the only one i think its sweet lol but thats me and im weird so

Sierra http://tmisource.com/the-books/the-in...
on this website snippet 26 read it it makes you think that someone you know dies maybe jem or maybe one of the lightwood boys the one that is with them i cant rember his name

Sierra me either i love him i couldnt live without him