European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > Group Reads - Input Requested!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Hey all! A quick question about group reads. How do you like them the way we do them in this group (nominations, voting, discussion, etc.)? Are they run in a different way in another group that you like better or like aspects of better? Would you rather we set up a poll? Do you think we should limit nominations or allow more than one per person?

As for discussions, do you like the way we do it now with folders set up for portions of the book? Would you prefer some guided questions like a book club might have or do you like the open nature of it? Would you prefer we split up sections by topic rather than chapter? Let us know! We want this to be a great reading experience for all!

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) Hi Emily

I like the way the nominations are run, but I do think the idea of a poll to vote for the book for the month would be a good idea, but it does depend in overhead for you is it quicker to set up a poll or to count the votes.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Hi Emily - A poll might be interesting in that it might lead to less email comments (I think?!) but whatever is easier for you. I tend to lurk and get ideas from this group, although I may comment on Outlander and Katherine, as I have read them both. Speaking of Katherine, I just saw the following on a bookstore site as a recommended book - it's a review of a new book about Katherine by Alison Weir! I do like Weir (except for her conclusion in The Princes in the Tower that Richard did it, as I am a Ricardian!), though I have been interested to hear people's opinions about her accuracy lately. Anyway, here is the blurb:

One reviewer at Kirkus Reviews says - "Quite beguiling—but not for the genealogically challenged." Fair warning, but I think you should give it a go. Historian Alison Weir has delved deeper and deeper into British royalty, and brings to light the amazing story of Katherine de Roet, the low-born mistress of John of Gaunt, fourth son of Edward III. Their affair lasted for many years, and it became an outrageous scandal when they finally wed in middle age. An absolutely engrossing read, by an eminently readable historian.

Interesting! It's on my TBR list, definitely.

message 4: by Tisha (new)

Tisha | 72 comments The poll tends to be easier for the moderator I've learned, but other than the convenience you might fine, I think it's fine either way!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments I'm fine with a poll, or the way it is done now - whichever is easier for the moderator.

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 19 comments I like Poll's. Use a thread to submit just the book title (no additional text) and let the voting begin.

In the end it is what is easier for you or if you add an admin to help.

message 7: by April Ann (last edited Feb 03, 2009 10:38AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments A poll sounds great, and easy too!

Splitting up by chapters is fine with me.

I also think it's fine to nominate more than one book. Because in the end you can only vote for one anyway.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Polls seem to work well.

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon i think nominating and then putting up a poll is best

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I have a question about the polls in general (for anyone who might know). I notice that there is a start and end date. Will the poll "close" itself on the end date so no one else can vote? And if so, if I pick an end date of say "March 1", will it close itself right when the date hits March 1 or at the end of the day of March 1? Just curious if anyone knows! If not, I'll set up a test poll to see what it does.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments I set it up for the day after I wanted voting to end just to be sure. So watch mine and see what happens! It's supposed to end on Feb 28.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "I have a question about the polls in general (for anyone who might know). I notice that there is a start and end date. Will the poll "close" itself on the end date so no one else can vote? And i..."

I have done many polls on yahoo and there they automatically shut themselves down. It seems the ones I did here also did the same.

message 13: by Sara W (last edited Jun 04, 2009 01:02PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments New question:

I've been mulling this over in my head, and someone's post has finally gotten me to ask it. Would people prefer it if the nominating and voting happened one month earlier than they do now. So, for example, instead of voting right now for the June 15 - July 15 read, we would be voting for the July 15 - Aug 15 read. That way people would have more time to get the books for the group reads. If people wanted to do this, I would simply double up the nominating/voting threads once (next time they would normally come up - so we would cover two months at one time), and then after that we would go back to normal (one month at a time), only we would be nominating/voting on books farther in advance. Does this make sense? Would people like to do this?

message 14: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Yes, I think it helps to give people more time to get the book!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 85 comments I'm easy either way, Sara. I have a serious and out-of-control book-buying disease so as soon as I know I need one I will track it down somehow (apart from that damn tudor vampire thing which is remaining very illusive!).

Happy to go along with whatever.

message 16: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Alright, as long as there are no protests against it (which I sincerely doubt would happen!), I'll do this. Some of these books are easier for me to get from the UK, and I'd like a little more time too (ahem, Hollow Crown).

message 17: by Connie (new)

Connie (boleynfan) | 17 comments Sara wrote: "New question:

I've been mulling this over in my head, and someone's post has finally gotten me to ask it. Would people prefer it if the nominating and voting happened one month earlier than the..."

Yes, please! I joined recently and couldn't find "The Hollow Crown" in time to start it. Also, life is sooo hectic, a little extra time to schedule it in would be fabulous!

message 18: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Connie wrote: "Sara wrote: "New question:

I've been mulling this over in my head, and someone's post has finally gotten me to ask it. Would people prefer it if the nominating and voting happened one month ear..."

Discussion is really just starting on the Hollow Crown, so if you did manage to find it, definitely jump in. I just got it a couple of days ago myself.

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments Voting a month early probably would make it easier for those "elusive" books and would make it possible to read as a group those that might be harder to find (since there would be more time to find them!).

message 20: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments There's a lot to nominate and vote on right now, but after this craziness, it will go back to normal (only one month earlier than normal).

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie (boleynfan) | 17 comments Yep, one month earlier would be cool. Ordered "Courtesan" from Amazon on June 6 and it won't arrive until June 15th!

message 22: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 145 comments thats why I have a hard time with group reads, it seems it is either I just finished it or I cannot get it here in time to read with the group.