Read by Theme discussion

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)
This topic is about Flowers in the Attic
Book Discussions > Flowers In The Attic by V.C. Andrews

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tima (tsunanisaurus) I chose to read this book, Flowers in the Attic, because it's one of the ones that everyone else seems to have read and I figured I might as well, for reference sake.

Has anyone in this group read it? I'm only about halfway through (not to any of the *le gasp* controversial scenes yet). It is definitely a different read from my usual and not one that I would've wandered into on my own.

It's a very well-written book, thus far, and I'm really curious how I feel after completing the novel. I've heard from other that I'll need to read Petals on the Wind before I make a final judgement on the series.

What do you think? Did you [dis]like it? Is it on your to-read or never-ever-read lists?

message 2: by Liza (new)

Liza | 28 comments I read this in my teens and found VC Andrews good reads, but all the series have the same theme. As with most movie/tv adaptations, the book is WAY better. I don't think you will be disappointed, especially since you are 1/2 through. (I haven't even started reading my teen-prog book lol)

Celeste (Orienthi) | 8 comments I actually watched the movie with my friend when we happened to be home for once as teens. I liked the story and was curious, so a few years later I picked up the book in a used book section and didnt regret it.

I think that for me it hit a more personal note because the relationship with my mother and I was extremely strained, so in a way I felt like the children locked in the attic while their mother carried on with her life.

I picked it up again today since its been a long time since I have read it for this months theme.

I hope you enjoy it, and have fun reading!

Tima (tsunanisaurus) I wasn't disappointed at all and I think, as usual, people hyped up a very small scene to make it seem as if the entire book was going to be an incestual smutfest. Which, as anyone who has read it knows, it is not.

I thought it was a wonderfully written book and was better than I was expecting it to be, quite honestly. I will probably watch the movie someday but can't imagine it being anywhere near the book (as Liza pointed out, they rarely are!).

Celeste, I can also relate with that feeling of one parent seemingly galavanting around leaving children in the shadows, so to speak. Though thankfully, nowhere near the degree of of the Dollenganger[Foxworth] children.

Did either of you (or anyone) have a favorite scene, most powerful scene, sad/any feeling scene in the novel?

message 5: by Celeste (last edited Sep 06, 2012 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Celeste (Orienthi) | 8 comments I am glad you enjoyed it.

I havnt heard people describe it like that, then again Anne franks adaptation of her diaryThe Diary of a Young Girl was challenged because people felt it was too violent, and Anne Frank died and it was considered a "Real downer". People can be ridiculous.

Anyways, I would have to say my favorite scene is when they decorate the attic with paper flowers and do plays for the twins. It shows that children s hope and trust for their mother can make it possible to allow unspeakable things to happen. And because of that it wasn't till the wool was pulled from their eyes as they got sicker that they realized they'd never get out of there.

Jaclyn Harrison | 35 comments Now I wish I had picked this for this month's book! I had it narrowed down to this and White Oleander. Needless to say, I am now half way through White Oleander.

Bevin (BevinK) Love this book. This is one of the ones that she actually wrote, if I remember correctly, and definitely one of the best. On one level, it seems smutty, sort of like junk for the brain, but at the same time, it raises a lot of interesting issues.

I often wonder what it would take to make someone treat their children in this way ... though like some others on this board, I too grew up with a strained relationship with my mother.

In terms of the movie, I own it & I like it ... but my imagination created such a better (& more horrifying) place for these children to be trapped. Luckily, I've read the book so many times, the movie couldn't alter what I'd already imagined.

message 8: by Liza (new)

Liza | 28 comments Bevin wrote: "Love this book. This is one of the ones that she actually wrote, if I remember correctly, and definitely one of the best. On one level, it seems smutty, sort of like junk for the brain, but at the ..."

I don't think she wrote to many. I actually think this is the only complete one and some of the others were manuscripts. Which might explain why they all seem like the same story over and over.

Bevin (BevinK) Just did a quick bit of research -- I remember this taking way longer in the time before Google, ha ha.

Anyhow, she died in 1986. The Dollanganger series (save Garden of Shadows), My Sweet Audrina, & the first two Casteel books were published in or before 1986 (source: http://completevca.com/library.shtml ).

This makes sense because I do remember these being the most interesting (slash horrifying?) & original books. I can't believe how many books there are now ... I stopped reading when they didn't have those awesomely ominous family portraits inside the front cover any more.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 209 comments The only two books of Andrew's that I have read Flowers in the Attic and Heaven.

I liked both of them and thought they had just enough spooky undertones to them to really make them stand out.

Once I found out she passed away I lost interest in reading the newer ones.

message 11: by Liza (new)

Liza | 28 comments Bevin wrote: "Just did a quick bit of research -- I remember this taking way longer in the time before Google, ha ha.

Anyhow, she died in 1986. The Dollanganger series (save Garden of Shadows), My Sweet Audrina..."

I loved the books with the portraits. I am collecting Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches series in that style.

message 12: by Tima (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tima (tsunanisaurus) Bevin wrote: "Love this book. This is one of the ones that she actually wrote, if I remember correctly, and definitely one of the best. On one level, it seems smutty, sort of like junk for the brain, but at the ..."

Can I just agree with all of this? Haha. I want to watch the movie but it has been surprisingly hard to come by (short of just ordering it off Amazon).

My favorite books have to do with psychological reactions to events and/or family dynamics; this books has them both. I am looking to pick up Petals in the Wind soon, I'm hoping it pops up on the book swap site I'm on - paperbackswap.