Book of Mormon study discussion

1 Nephi: Chapters 1-5

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (last edited Feb 01, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Tiffany | 5 comments Mod
I guess we will plan to start a new discussion each Sunday, but feel free to add a new discussion if you'd like, whenever you'd like.

For me, I know it has been awhile since I have read the scriptures and I know I don't really understand it. So I am really excited for this book club. Everyone can help me understand what I am reading, cause I always have questions that need to be answered. Plus it's a good motivation to get going on reading The Book of Mormon.

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 5 comments I agree, I am very excited! I mean, I do try to read the scriptures, but I have a very hard time sticking to a schedule. Hopefully this will help!

message 3: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Cook (sammy4444) | 1 comments this is a really good idea. hopefully this will give me some motivation i lack. :)

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 5 comments Mod
So, I don't want to start things out on a downer note, but I must admit I really struggle with God telling Nephi to kill Laban. I wonder why he couldn't just have it work out some other way where Nephi still ended up with the plates.

Please feel free to enlighten me.

Other than that, the reading is going pretty well. I think most people have at least the first few chapters of Nephi memorized as it's the one we all read the most. Ha ha.

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 5 comments Okay, I haven't reached that far yet, Tiff, but when I do, I think I have some thoughts. But I was reading ch. 1 last night, and I noticed something I had written in, probably years ago in seminary. The circumstances of Lehi's call to the ministry is really similar to Joseph Smith's call. It's very interesting. I'm not sure I would have noticed it on my own.

And you're totally right, I have read the first part of 1st Nephi about 10 million times. I'm excited to get past it!

message 6: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (ErichFranzLinnerGuzmann) Haha, yeah I can even count how many time I have read Nephi! But I plan on starting it again :)

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (pollywog) | 1 comments I am in Alma right now. Joe and I have been trying to get through the Book of Mormon before we go to the temple. I will start reading from the beginning again though. It will be nice to see other people's views. ;)

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 5 comments Mod
Sorry to make you start back at the beginning Holly, but I'm glad you're reading it with us!

I should write more notes in my scriptures. That is pretty interesting about Lehi and Joseph Smith. I can most definitely see the similarities. When Lehi has the dream and reads the accounts, is he reading the Bible? Are the plates they get from Laban the Bible? I really don't know!

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 5 comments I think that the plates they get from Laban are like the 5 books of Moses-Genesis through Deuteronomy. Of course, that could be wrong, since I don't remember where I learned it! Well, wait, I know they also have the book of Isaiah, as is pretty evident from 2nd Nephi, so now I'm not sure.

Okay, I just searched for brass plates on lds.org, and here's what it says:
"Plates inscribed with ancient scriptures, many of them corresponding with books from the Old Testament, that the prophet Lehi and his family took with them to the promised land of the Americas."

But I know in 3rd Nephi, when Christ visits the Nephites, he tells them the words of some of the later Old Testament prophets, like Malachi, because Lehi's family was already gone when those prophets were speaking. So, the plates wouldn't necessarily be the Bible like we think of it today. just parts.

And, I just got called to be a Sunday School teacher in church today(I'm way nervous!). So pretty soon, I'll just know all about the scriptures! Or at least about D & C, since that's what we're studying this year.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 5 comments Mod
Thanks for the info on the plates Meredith. Good luck on your calling. I heard you had to give a talk last week and that you told all about our famous musical group and how we could have easily gotten into drugs and other sorts of mayhem, but we prevailed. I hope my life is an inspiration to others :)