Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Should we have a quote thread?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2843 comments Mod
I, for one, really love reading the quotes that other people post. Especially when you're forced to pick something from the randomly-specified p. 46 (I'd love to know where that came from), I find it gives me a sense of whether I'll enjoy that particular author's style, which is a different type of knowledge than I get from reading the book reviews.

On the other hand, I've noticed that recently, not many people have been posting quotes, which sort of defeats the whole purpose. One reason might be that, when we use audio-books, there's no way to copy a quote. But I think it must be more than that. Perhaps not enough people find it worth having, and therefore it's easy to forget to make the posts?

I was wondering if we could discuss whether we want the quote thread to continue. I know Lyn M has raised the question in the past, but she never got many responses. I'd like to see us actually decide as a group --whether the answer is to keep the quote thread or not-- rather than just let it slip away.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2766 comments Mod
Thanks for posting this, Susan. I have noticed a lack of quotes lately, too. Like you, I. Really enjoy the quote thread as it shows a writer's style, which helps me decide about the book.

I am wondering if part of the problem might be that I have not been either setting them up early enough, or if advertising it more would help?

Let me know if you have ideas for changes to make the quote thread better.

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1299 comments I usually don't post quotes because I simply don't think about doing so and I don't watch for quote ideas while I read. I have read the quotes others have posted occasionally, but it's not something I usually do. I'm neutral on whether the quotes section is continued or not. I don't see myself posting to it too often, if at all.

message 4: by Susan (last edited Sep 04, 2012 09:01AM) (new)

Susan | 2843 comments Mod
What really helps me find a quote (and what some people may not know or may have forgotten) is that it is supposed to be from p. 46. I don't know how that was decided in the first place, but it makes it easy. When I'm writing my review, I turn to p. 46, and choose whatever I find on that page that seems to me to give the best sense of the author's style.

Of course, if some wonderful quote jumps out at me, I'll bookmark that and add it too. But limiting myself to p. 46 (or soon after that if there's truly nothing to be found there) makes picking the quote a simple process.

Maybe people are making it too hard for themselves but trying to pick "the one" best quote in the book, and that's why the process is breaking down?

message 5: by Bea (last edited Sep 04, 2012 01:47PM) (new)

Bea | 2954 comments Mod
My problem is that I forget to look for it while I have the book in hand!

I have had that same problem myself, Bea.

message 7: by Tara (last edited Sep 04, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments Bea wrote: "My problem is that I forget to look for it while I have the book in hand!"

I do the same thing. I think I am going to post and then I forget to and realize that I already returned the book to the library!

I do read the thread though! I also still have my last book I read and can post a quote for this month!

That would be great if you could, Tara.

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1252 comments I've posted once or twice but my biggest issue is that I forget to post the quotes most of the time. I also rarely check the thread unless I post myself.

Like LynnB, I'm neutral. I don't mind if it stays and I don't mind if it goes.