Children's Books discussion

Conversations: books & readers > What Type of Reader Are You?

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Just saw this article in The Atlantic Wire on another Goodreads group and thought I'd share. It's a fun article detailing different types of readers.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entert...

I am a Cross-Under reader (guess most/all of us are!) and a multitasker (always have 3-5 books being currently read).

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Be sure to read the addendum too... now that I've read that I have to add one more..I'm also an audiobook listener. :)

message 3: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 03, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

Manybooks | 3791 comments I am a bookophile, a cross-under, a multi-tasker and a sleepytime reader (one of my problems is I start way too many books and it takes me ages to finish them because I get distracted by yet another book, and I often wake up with a book or books on my face).

And I guess I am also a bit of a critic at times, and very much a re-reader, especially of favourite series (and I usually do have a book or even many books with and around me).

message 4: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III (Polywag) I am a cross-under, sort of a chronological reader and sometimes a delayed onset reader #1.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Sep 05, 2012 10:28AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1009 comments the complicated reader because I'm all of these, pretty much in order of fit:

cross-under

the re-reader

the sleepy bedtime reader

the chronological

bibliophile

the All-the-Timer/Compulsive/Voracious/Anything Goes Reader

the sharer (though not for every book, just occasionally)

I do reread less since Goodreads, and sometimes I do miss my old faves.

message 6: by Chrislin (new)

Chrislin | 8 comments I am a scattered reader. I read from my what interest me or catches my eye. Once an author catches my eye i need to read the whole body of work they have. With kids books we read with the seasons. What the kids are going through in life and nature. We do have favorite kids books. We could be book hoarders, but we just donated 3 boxes of books. Getting books into kids hands is important to me.

message 7: by Rosalba (new)

Rosalba | 8 comments I'm a chronological reader- I have to finish a book once I start it, even if I hate it now;otherwise I feel remorse. I'm a little bit of a book buster (most of my paperbacks have folded corners, or are slightly smeared on some pages). And also a bookophile,a cross-under and a multi-tasker (I have read up to 5 books at a time without mixing plots).

message 8: by Michele (last edited Sep 10, 2012 09:51PM) (new)

Michele | 180 comments I think I am mostly a chronological reader, although I have a bit of a bibliophile and cross-under in me as well. :) I really do have a need to finish books and it does really bug me when I abandon them.

message 9: by David (new)

David | 101 comments I'm definitely a Chronological reader, and also a Multi-tasker, Cross-under, Bibliophile, book suggester, book swagger (love BEA!), and somewhat a re-reader, though not as much as I used to.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexrose21) | 1 comments Apparently I am a hate-reading, book busting, bookophile :-) I read anything and everything, including the books that people love to hate *cough*twilight*cough* and hate to love ;-) I am terrible when it comes to caring for my own books- which is why I never borrow them from friends or the library and I rarely buy new books- what's the point? I am most likely going to read it 10 times until the pages fall out anyway, so why not adopt a tossed-aside copy that is in need of some lovin? But my ultimate bliss is being in a room full to the rafters with books of all kinds, convenient since I am studying to be a librarian :-)

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie (clingdgreat) Nice article that one..

The kind of reader I am and the reasons why I thought so:
HATE-READER as I still got that Fifty Shades of Grey even if I am always complaining about it- trivial, shallow..And I am still wondering why it has to be branded as notoriously erotic when those supposed sensitive parts made me yawn...
BOOKOPHILE too..I seriously swore once that if I die I will haunt our college library at ADZU especially that PZ section on fiction if it meant being with all those musty-smelling books..
CROSS-READER definitely! I just can't steer myself away from young adult books even if I am not young anymore..
MULTI-TASKER..I am currently reading 4 books all of which I intend to finish sometime soon..
ANd yes there was once that I have to resort to reading short stories just to avoid being too exhausted..

:)

message 12: by ABC (last edited Sep 06, 2012 10:00PM) (new)

ABC (Mary6543) | 341 comments I am a chronological reader. Before I got my kindle, I just started from the first book on the shelf at the library and worked my way down.

It is why I like Goodread. I can keep it in order.

I am not really a cross-reader because I did not read kids' books until I had a kid.

I am also a promiscuous bookophile.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Cute articles! I read these and it tickled me as to how many of these categories I fell under!

The Hate Reader- I read the entire Twilight series even though I didn't really like them.

I try to be chronological but I end up being the Multi-tasker- I have about 4 or 5 books that I am reading right now.

Bookophile, Cross Under, The Hopelessly Devoted, the Rereader and of course

All the timer/compulsive/voracious/anything goes reader- I always have a book with me wherever I go!

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike Spinak (MikeSpinak) | 1 comments I'm a little bit of most of those, but not exactly any of them, so I suppose that makes me the It's Complicated reader.

message 15: by Cynthia E (new)

Cynthia E Sherman (cynthiaesherman) | 5 comments I read anything that I can get my hands on.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 16 comments If being some of several makes you an It's Complicated Reader then I guess that's what I am. My list of always : Bookophile, Multi-tasker, Sleepy Bedtime. My list of sometimes: Sharer, Cross Under.
I think there should be a book snob category for people like me that are drawn to the classics and secretly think those books are better because they were written long ago in a more "romantic" era. My husband thinks that putting people in a bad situation then having them make the worst possible choices is what constitutes a classic. Ha ha!

message 17: by Notti (new)

Notti Thistledore (NottiThistledore) | 1 comments I'm a mix of everything!

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 3737 comments Mod
This is so much fun! ;-) Oh, and I so loved "The Cat" on the second article. LOL! We have one of those in our house ;-p

Here is my combo, roughly in order:

Multi-Tasker (I always have multiple books going, though I am usually quite good about keeping plots and characters straight, thank goodness)

Cross-Under (obviously ;-> )

Delayed Onset Reader #1 (I love to acquire books even if I know I won't have time to read them for months!!!)

Bookophile because I love books as objects (the "real," hold-in-your-hand kind of books, and old books, too) beyond just reading them

I'm also Hopelessly Devoted to a few authors

Whew! I think that about covers it. On occasion I've been a Hater, a Critic, a Re-Reader... Maybe I'm just "Complicated", LOL! ;-)

message 19: by NebraskaIcebergs (new)

NebraskaIcebergs | 10 comments Jenny wrote: "Just saw this article in The Atlantic Wire on another Goodreads group and thought I'd share. It's a fun article detailing different types of readers.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entert......"

What an interesting article! Here is my combo:
* Cross-Under: As a child I couldn't wait to read the adult books; Now I can't wait for the newest kids' book!
* Delayed Onset #1: Thanks to book sales, I have far more books in boxes than I'll ever read.
* Hopelessly Devoted: I"ll read anything and everything by an author I like.
* Sharer

Used to be:
* Snob: My dad used to given me only the best books; My husband broke me of the snob habit by introducing me to adult bestsellers.
* Re-reader: Becoming a reviewer changed this habit.
* Book Swagger: I finally got overwhelmed by all my free books and started being selective with freebies.

Might also be:
* Complicated: I keep trying to categorize myself. It would make purchasing books easier, but honestly books for different reasons.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris Meads | 94 comments Gads, I read the article and I seem to be a delayed onset reader #1, bookophile, cross under, multitasker and hopelessly devoted. And then there is the Cat--both mine will sit on the book or put their paws on it, preventing me from reading so they can......

message 21: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (Zelinko) | 2 comments Hmm cross under, I remember in second grade pulling out the thickest, driest novels to read in class, but now I find young adult literature just amazing.

message 22: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 1167 comments Mod
I am mostly a combination of multi-tasker, delayed onset reader, and all-the-time/compulsive/voracious reader.

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Harden (igem36) Delayed onset reader #1, for sure.

message 24: by Bookiddo (new)

Bookiddo | 5 comments Yeah gosh, I'm a little bit of everything! I think the ones I most immediately relate to are: The Chronological Reader, Delayed Onset Reader #1, The Bookophile, The Sleepy Bedtime Reader.

message 25: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (MGKing) | 14 comments Love this! Def. a cross-under (middle grade anyone?) but also a book busting bibliophile. I really should treat my books better, considering how much I love them. It's just that they always feel more like comfortable old friends than formal acquaintances.

message 26: by Pamela. (new)

Pamela. (bookeater77) | 2 comments I love fantasy books. Just finished Ennara and the Fallen Druid. Simply loved the world Angela created and loved the magical and mystical creatures.

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments Fun article! I'm a Cross Under, Multi Tasker, Sleepy Bedtime Reader with an occasional Delayed Onset Reader #1 thrown in =)

message 28: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Carreira | 5 comments I normally read one book at a time but I can be classified under these categories ...

the re-reader - especially my Bronte Collection aka Pride and Prejudice.

the sleepy bedtime reader - the nonfictional books that gives me ideas on how to relate to kids.

the chronological - my inspiration in reading these is to connect with my older nieces and nephews. It is a good way to encourage them to read as well, especially when you spark their interest.

This was insightful... thanks for sharing.

message 29: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 120 comments Like the updates, definitely it's complicated (all-the-timer (multi-tasker - get tired of carrying books all around easier to have going at work and another at home - smaller paperbacks easier to travel with...), bookophile (just can't get excited about e-readers, much, much prefer books), cross-under (like lots here), hopelessly devoted, re-reader.)