I Write, Therefore, I Live discussion

Advertise Your Group! > winner of the month / Write in 2009

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arthur, Mod! discussion mod privilege (new)

Arthur | 80 comments Mod
The I Write, Therefore, I Live group moderators will conduct an interview with the winner's of the month from that other group Write in 2009. I will only say it is a chance to give them something more to write for the year. It will give them a chance to talk about what kind of writing they like to write and what kinds they will be writing in the future. This can give the winner's of the month a chance to tell everyone how they love to write. It will give them a place to show off their writing.

message 2: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (Taleoflostink) O.o cool

message 3: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (jellybeanstripe) Good luck. There are so many people in that group, I can't keep up with them anymore. I try though...

message 5: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (jellybeanstripe) Arthur wrote: "The I Write, Therefore, I Live group moderators will conduct an interview with the winner's of the month from that other group Write in 2009. I will only say it is a chance to give them something m..."

Have we even done that?

message 6: by Arthur, Mod! discussion mod privilege (new)

Arthur | 80 comments Mod
No, I asked the first couple of winners for a random interview. I didn't get any reply. I see they've had some new winners, I should ask one of them. Let's see.

message 7: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (jellybeanstripe) They'll probably say okay. Maybe they're busy?

message 8: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 32 comments Haha...ask Mimi or Dee, Sella might, who knows?! lolz

message 9: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (jellybeanstripe) Sella would probably do it. She's very...social?

message 10: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 32 comments Sella is awesomeness! Dee is nice as ever, and Mimi, well, I'd force her!

message 11: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (jellybeanstripe) I don't really know Dee and Mimi, but I don't know Sella that well either. I've talked to her occasionally though.

message 12: by Arthur, Mod! discussion mod privilege (new)

Arthur | 80 comments Mod
I know Dee is a writer, and she won one of the months. I shall introduce myself. I don't know Mimi.

message 13: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (jellybeanstripe) Yeah. Now idk what to say...

message 14: by Arthur, Mod! discussion mod privilege (new)

Arthur | 80 comments Mod
A Phenomenal Group, Phenomenal People

Should I try Write in 2009? What a fantastic idea. Why not just give a chance to other Goodreads members to read opinions that matter. The Goodreads group known as Write in 2009 is an assemblage of determined individuals who have selected members into the winners circle, a sort of showcase of the winning member and their progress. The Write in 2009 motto is “Every day for a year, write. Write 100 words, write 5000 words, it doesn't matter. Make it part of a story.”

Beginning of the month of May this entry in the common circle was Dee Marie. With each individual in this group it is their blog topic that has been used in focus by telling others what they have achieved. Many achieve their word count goal they set determining what they include in their own individual blog topic. Selecting to join this group allows you as its member to have your own topic. You can sit at home or any other alternative and write your stories and meet your goal and meet with others who have set their limits to achieving a daily word count.

Some of the members have taken delight in the winners’ progress and has awarded them as writer icons. Congratulations one and all.

I write, therefore I live conducted an interview to get the inside to this phenomenon. Winner of the month of May, Dee Marie …

Question #1: You’re ok with this interview right? Is anxiety making you nervous?

Dee Marie: Although I am honored that you would take the time to interview me, I am very comfortable with being interviewed. Hopefully my answers will not make “you” nervous. {insert slightly evil grin}

Question #2: Is it difficult to write?

Dee Marie:: I have never found writing difficult, nor demanding. To me, writing is something that I “have” to do…like breathing. Although I have never experienced “Writer’s Block,” I have at times experienced a lackadaisical attitude, which always gets me in trouble, especially with my editors.

Question #3: Does your employment/schooling take up time? What kind of writing would you prefer to achieve away from both occupations?

Dee Marie:: I am truly blessed, as I write for a living. Although, ironically, when I was working as an Editor-in-Chief of an international (printed) publication, I found that I was always searching for extra time to spend on my own writing. Eventually, I stepped down from the fulltime magazine position to devote myself totally to finishing my first novel.

Do I feel that an author can write while working or going to school fulltime? Yes, I do (and yes I did). The bottom line…if you really want to write, you will find time out of your busy schedule to write. Excuses for not writing are just that…excuses!

Get up an hour earlier and write. Write at your lunch break. Turn off the television (cell phone) and spend that time writing. Don’t just find the time to write, make the time to write! Schedule writing into your day. If you are truly passionate about writing, make it a priority…make writing a vital part of your life.

Question #4: Have you ever had a dream (or nightmare) you will ever write and publish?

Dee Marie:: My first novel, “Sons of Avalon: Merlin’s Prophecy” is a result of Merlin, pestering me while I was sleeping. He was very persistent in insisting that I write his tale. He came to me each night, for several months, waking me from my slumber.

Question #5: Do you write on a computer or a favorite typewriter? What is your favorite pen?

Dee Marie: Does anyone write on a typewriter anymore?

I do my main “writing and editing” on a computer. However, I also have been known to work through chapters on a notepad (an actual writing paper notepad) in longhand. I later transcribe my written thoughts to the computer, which is never an easy task, as even I have problems reading my atrocious handwriting.

As to a favorite pen…I like to write in black ink with a thin point. However, I have to specific preference as to what brand of pen I use. I do prefer to use metal over plastic, as I have a horrible habit of chewing on my pens. I can go through a dozen plastic pens in a day. It is a very disgusting addiction, one I have never been able to break.

Question #6: Can it be more difficult for another person to write what you write? What do you write?

Dee Marie:: Wow, that is a hard question to answer. I am more of a transcriber than a writer. I visualize what my characters are doing or saying, and write down what I “see” within my imagination. It is similar to viewing an epic movie within my brain, and writing down all the tiny details and dialog.

So, in that respect, I suppose no one else can write “exactly” what I write, as they would not be privy to my inner thoughts and visions.

I am currently re-writing Arthurian Legends…which also involves a great deal of research.

Question #7: What type of things have your parents done to help support you and writing?

Dee Marie:: Both my parents are deceased. However, their personal history, as well as their parenting skills, have greatly influenced my stories.

Question #8: What are some of the common expressions you like to use, or see everyday that you hear being said on average any day?

Dee Marie:: My all-time favorite expression is: “Too Much Fun!”

Question #9: Who are some of the great writings in your opinion?

Dee Marie: Great writings obviously come from great writers. With that said, there are great writers, and there are writers that others would not consider great, but they are still my favorite writers.

message 15: by Arthur, Mod! discussion mod privilege (new)

Arthur | 80 comments Mod
Among the writers that I would consider as great authors, I would have to include: Shakespeare, Tolkien, Virginia Woolf, Charlotte & Emily Bronte.

As to some of my “favorite authors”: Martin Millar, J. K. Rowling, and Stephenie Meyer.

Question #10: Do you spy on anyone or follow others, computer hack, or find you lurch onto your favorite people?

Dee Marie:: Hmm, not intentionally, at least not that I know of…although I do “follow” several of my favorite authors, actors, artists, musicians, on Twitter (and some actually follow me). Does that count?

Question #11: Have you ever accepted a Goodreads friend invite from a Goodreads author and check out their books or their online work?

Dee Marie:: I do not extend “Goodread friend” invitation to anyone I do not know. However I do accept “friend” invitations from my readers and/or other authors…as long as they can provide the secret password {insert maniacal laughter}

Question #12: What are your favorite types of snack chips?

Dee Marie:: I’m not a huge chip eater. When it comes to snack food, I actually prefer almonds (covered in dark chocolate).

Although fingertips covered with melted chocolate can play havoc with a keyboard. Plus it drives my puppy crazy. When she starts licking the sticky laptop, my sentences begin to look like an alien wrote them…plus dog slobber tends to muck-up my keyboard.

Hmmm, maybe chips are better.

Question #13: Do you or your closet friends ever differ in ideas about movies? What movies are your favorites?

Dee Marie:: Constantly! I love sappy romantic comedies; or any medieval film featuring good-looking knights (or pirates, or any movie with Johnny Depp).

My favorite movie-going-partner loves action-packed films, preferably with a military twist, and refuses to go to chick-flicks.

I do not “do” horror films, and thank goodness my friends are not huge fans of those types of films either. Although I did watch “Twilight” six times in the movie theatre (talk about pathetic)…even though it features vampires (the fangless, sparkly kind) I consider it a love story, rather than a horror flick.

Question #14: What do you believe in for Life after Death?

Dee Marie: I do believe in life after death. I died once (heart stopped beating several times, died, brought back to life…three times), but I don’t recall the afterlife experience. However, I have had encounters from those who have passed on.

Question #15: If someone is really dying and if they asked you to do something special to fulfill something what would you do?

Dee Marie: I actually had that happen to me as well, and although it was a hard situation to deal with, I felt it was important to honor the person’s last request.

Question #16: Have you ever attempted to convince a sibling, or a friend, into being afraid of something like the dark or fear of going off the property?

Dee Marie: No, not really. I like to treat others as I would like to be treated. Yeah, I know, it’s corny, but, I have always felt that “nice matters!”

Question #17: If you could listen to music all day even in school and class (if they allowed, like mp3 players), would you?

Dee Marie: Music is a vital part of my life. I am constantly listening to music especially when I write. “Sons of Avalon: Merlin’s Prophecy” was written to the sweet Celtic musings of Loreena McKennitt; with the exception of the battle scene, which was written while listening to Fall Out Boy.

However, I think having “buds” constantly stuck inside your ears, especially while carrying on a conversation, is rather rude. Background music is one thing, playing music to drown-out, instead of enhancing, conversation is never a good thing. I suppose it falls under the old adage, “there is a time and place for everything.”

Question #18: What are your favorite months?

Dee Marie: My favorite months are: late October, when the fairies paint all the leaves jewel-tone colors, plus it’s my birthday month; late May, when the lilacs bloom and the hummingbirds return; early November, when the first snow falls, covering the dirty, barren ground with a blanket of pure beauty.

Question #19: If you got an agreement to publish, but you had a dorky and bad ending, but they wanted it written that way what would you do? Would you just prefer to feel bad about it and write it to your editor’s preferences anyway?

Dee Marie: The reality is…if you have a contract with a major publishing house, you do not have the option of saying “no.” At least if you want to keep your book advance and get published with that specific publisher.

If your publisher is forcing you to write a “dorky or stupid” ending (or rewrite a specific part of your story), you can always “fight” to keep the original storyline, but be prepared for compromise.

Contrary to popular belief, editors usually do know what is best (and the good editors will even listen to non-best-selling author’s suggestions). However, if you feel your integrity, or the integrity of the story, would be compromised by changing the ending, then make sure your contract has a clause allowing you to pull out of the project.

Reality Check…no matter how excited you are about a publisher wanting to sign onto your writing project, be sure to read the fine print (and make any changes) before you sign your rights away!

Question #20: If you committed a crime (even unintentional) and are caught, would you pay the cost?

Dee Marie: If you do the crime, you have to do the time!

Question #21: What is your word count goal for 2009?

Dee Marie: My word count goal for 2009 would be around 300,000 plus words (give or take a few thousand).

Question #22: Why the challenge in 2009?

Dee Marie: I am currently writing two full-length novels.

Question #23: What voice gender, male or female, is easier to write?

Dee Marie: Oh, what a wonderful question. Surprisingly, it is easier for me to write in a male voice; which is a good thing, as the majority of the Arthurian characters in my “Sons of Avalon” saga are males.

Question #24: Which is deeper: land, water or air?

Dee Marie: Air ~ as air is infinite.

Question #25: Do you know of any book characters named Dee?

Dee Marie:: I am sure that there are a ton of books with the name Dee featured as either a character’s first or last name, but I cannot think of any titles at the moment. Can you?

Thanks so much for granting me the opportunity to answer your interesting (and sometimes quirky) questions. It was a pleasure to get to know you from the questions that you asked, and hopefully for others to get to know me from my answers.

Always remember, if you only write one page a day, by the end of a year you will have finished a novel. Wishing everyone a most wonderful year of writing in 2009!

unread topics | mark unread