Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Steve Wozniak
This topic is about Steve Wozniak
Book Issues > is this a placeholder ?

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K, (new)

K, Nz | 149 comments Spotted it while correcting other editions.

There seems to be a few with that title....

Thanks,

Karen

message 2: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments It looks a little like an unpublished book.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32626 comments Mod
True "placeholder" edition don't have ISBNs and can thus be safely merged once there exists an edition with one. This may be several things, but it's not a simple placeholder.

message 4: by K, (new)

K, Nz | 149 comments I'm still new at this....so an importer generates an entry if there is an isbn whether it has actually been published or not?

To me it doesn't seem like a published book hence the question. I thought it was better to ask, than to try doing something myself.
K.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32626 comments Mod
K, wrote: "I'm still new at this....so an importer generates an entry if there is an isbn whether it has actually been published or not?"

Often, yeah. Publishers may start spreading info about a book over a year before expected publication dates, and sometimes there are unexpected delays.

However, given that this was originally slated for publication in 1997, and still has no title, I think it's almost certainly a planned-but-never-published. It has also been shelved by no users. I'll go ahead and NAB it.

K, wrote: "I thought it was better to ask, than to try doing something myself."

When you're not sure, definitely. :)

message 6: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments We sometimes also keep the book as reference to information about why the book was never published.

For example, a publisher may lose their rights and the book never makes it to print. This can be added to the books description and be used by members to know that the book will never be published (despite their being information that it was to be published).