Happy & Brainy Group discussion

General II > Which five books would you take to a desert island? - from Raymond

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) | 1071 comments Mod
My answer: Reason Reigns, The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, Ninety-Three, Royal Serf

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I would take The Bible, a dictionary/thesaurus, The Book Thief, The Hobbit, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 3: by Kendall (new)

Kendall (kendallfurlong) | 5 comments The Bible, The Brothers Karamazov, Middlemarch, Origin of Species, The General Theory of Economics (Keynes)

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthef) The Bible, Bleak House, Emma, some army survival guide and the biggest, thickest book I can find with great art in it

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Harry Potter, a survival book (preferably one written by Bear Grylls <3), Inkheart, Golden Compass, Artemis Fowl.

Can a series count as one book, because I've seen The Ink Trilogy in one big book.

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthef) Lauren,
as to your question about a series being one big book...I say "go for it!"

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) yay! All seven Harry Potter, all three Ink, all three His Dark Materials, and all six Artemis fowl . <3

message 8: by RED (last edited Mar 09, 2009 12:37PM) (new)

RED (REDReadingHood) | 1 comments Primordial Calculations
Well I would take 'Primordial Calculations by RW Ferland, for stuff to think about. Harry Potter all of them so I would have stuff to burn for a fire. A survival guide, maybe one by Bear Grylls... and Tom Clancy books so I can kill the time, because they are all as big as phone books..

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave (iamthatis) | 3 comments Oh. Well, the series thing makes life a lot easier. Bible, Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I have it in one book), Ink Trilogy, Dragonlance Legends (which I read in one book), Come Before Winter and Share my Hope by Charles Swindall, and Twilight, as I need to get that one read.

message 10: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 1 comments mmm, this an anxiety producing question. I would feel guilty not taking all my favorites. The Bible which could keep me occupied for years trying to understand, A survival guide is a great idea, although I would not have necessarily thought of that. Poisonwood Bible, Instance on a Fingerpost and a Guide to Italy just to dream.

message 11: by Ilyn (new)

Hi Marci, Iamthatis, Primordial Calculations, RED, Lauren, Kendall, Randi, and everyone. Welcome to Happy & Brainy.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The Bible, Afternoon of an Autocrat by Norah Lofts, collections of Edgar Allan Poe, maybe Devil Water or The House on the Strand (hard choice) and a Janet Evanovich for a few laughs.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruth wrote: "The Bible, Bleak House, Emma, some army survival guide and the biggest, thickest book I can find with great art in it"

Good idea! I would need an art book too! But which one?

message 14: by Manda (new)

Manda The Panda (mandapanda17) | 2 comments Twilight by Stephenie Meyer I could read that book a million times without getting bored.
The Bible because you never know.
The Giver by Lois Lowry I really enjoyed that book.
The Diary of Anne Frank because it is a profound classic.
Some poems by Tennyson Just cause I feel like it.

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (photoscribe) | 55 comments Manda wrote: "Twilight by Stephenie Meyer I could read that book a million times without getting bored.
The Bible because you never know.
The Giver by Lois Lowry I really enjoyed that book.
The Diary of Ann..."

I could re-read "Tsar" by Ted Bell ad infinitum, as well, as "Dune", "Dune Messiah" and "Children of Dune", "Childhood's End" and "1984"....

Stephen H. Turner
The Last Voyage of the Cassiopeia
Almagest The Adventures of MarsShield
The Avedon Question

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

The collected works of Henry David Thoreau,
War and Peace,
Man, Economy, and State (An actually worthwhile economics text),
How to Grow More Vegetables,
The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

message 17: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rahrah) Great topic. The Bible, anything by Daniel Boorstin, Leaves of Grass, a survival guide, and an art book (where would we be without art?)

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin Czarniecki (fiddlercrab) | 1 comments The Bible, Dictionary, The Thief Lord, Graceling, and Catching Fire.

message 19: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (sowmyas) | 3 comments Oscar Wilde (Anything), A notebook/Journal(To write), For whom the bell tolls, Anna Karenina, A Survival Guide.

message 20: by Ilyn (new)

Hello everyone.

message 21: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Jane. Thank you for joining us.

Hi everyone. Have a marvelous weekend.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) I'm glad I checked this group out. Thanks Ilyn for suggesting it.
So, five books? Do they have to be books already written? If not;
1. a notebook so I could scribble to keep my sanity.
2. some sort of survival guide. I'll hope it was written by someone who has hd to actually survive.
3. The Narnia Chronicles
4. Something by Stephen King (IT is really long, so likely that one)
5. Tragic Hearts by Beverley Hall, so I can feel close to my family while I'm marooned.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

this is a tough one!

the unbearable lightness of being by milan kundera
the god of small things by arundhati roy
flowers in the attic by vc andrews
the bell jar by sylvia plath
and a dictionary.

message 24: by Ilyn (new)

My pleasure, Renee.

Renee and Reagan,thanks for joining us.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Ilyn wrote: "My pleasure, Renee.

Renee and Reagan,thanks for joining us."

my pleasure, this group seems great :)

message 26: by Ilyn (new)

Thank you, Reagan. It's nice to meet you.