Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

questions > Searies, and plots

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Dec 17, 2007 10:08PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 4 comments I’ve had an idea in my head for a long time about a series that I'd like to write. Thing is that the first book would really just be an introduction to characters, and the world, and the overall plot of the series wouldn’t be clear, until maybe the third book.
Do people have a big problem with series doing that sort of thing? I kind of felt like Harry potter was a bit like this, the plot of the series didn’t really kick in until the fourth book when Voldemort was brought back. Am I wrong? Any input or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments For myself, I have no problems with slow moving stories ... provided, of course, I find the characters, the world, and the idea behind it all interesting enough to keep going.

I think you might want to have the plot show itself a little more in the second book -- even if only in the second half of the second book -- rather than waiting for the third.

As for Harry Potter ... true, the whole Voldemort thing didn't quite become clear until later in the series, but it did have mini-plots that worked with and hinted at the major plot as early as book one.

I like books that have depth, and aren't afraid to take their time ... but again, you'd have to be pretty certain that people would find your characters and setting as interesting as you did.

So ... going to give us any hints at what the idea is?

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (dannytheinfidel) | 32 comments Would it not be hard to get people interested to buy the second book?
Why not make an ending story in the first book that you can lated build on, and still not explain everything. A bit like the Serrano books by E. Moon.

message 4: by The other John (new)

The other John (theotherjohn) Speaking as a potential reader of your series, you would need to make the first book worth reading in and of itself to make me want to follow your overall story. There would also have to be something to entice me to check out the subsequent volumes. (Besides not finishing the story, that is. If there's no satisfying conclusion, I'll feel cheated.) You may not have the luxury of introducing your entire world before starting the story. Good writing, it seems to me, is that in which every detail contributes to the overall tale. Far better to have background information left over at the end, than making sure you cram every detail into the story. Plus then you have the potential of selling a subsequent book--like an encyclopedia or untold tales volume. ;-)

Regarding Potter, I enjoyed the first book, but the only reason I went on to #2 was because of the great review my friends gave volume #7. (It wasn't until book #4 or so that I started reading them because of my own interest.)

message 5: by Eric (last edited Dec 26, 2007 11:16PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 4 comments This is all really helpful. Thank you all.

I have a friend who is an actual editor, and she likes the first story so far. She has read the first four chapters.

Sorry but no, I wont give any hints yet. I will tell you though that I have journals crammed with ideas all about the world and its characters. Very fun to write. Im trying to make it all my own, I'm a little tired of people using the same old mythological creatures all the time.