Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Great Counting Books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 61 comments Going off of the alphabet book discussion, how about favorite counting books? I'm a big fan of Teeth, Tails, & Tentacles An Animal Counting Book by Christopher Wormell (my preschoolers loved it!) and of course the classic Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh.

message 2: by April Ann (last edited Feb 01, 2009 05:11AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 (Chicka Chicka Boom Boom) by Bill Martin Jr.

The Chicka books by Bill Martin Jr. are awesome!

message 3: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 44 comments Way Out in the Desert by T. J. Marsh and Jennifer Ward

Way Out in the Desert by T. J. Marsh

This is a nice one to discuss the desert habitat and animals as well as counting. Also, the illustrator has included a "hidden" number on each page. Very fun.

Jack Kirby and the X-man Graeme Base has a couple of good counting books. The Waterhole has an increasing number of animals attempting to drink out of an ever decreasing waterhole (before the rains come and everyone lives happily ever after!). In its original form it maintains interest because there are plenty of hidden animals contained within detailed illustrations, and funny looking clothed frogs too! It also comes with a simplified storyline as a board book - but I think the the illustrations may be too busy for the younger reader.

For more advanced counting (and maths) book he has also written Uno's Garden - a cautionary tale about overdevelopment. Should take the kids well into primary school with multiplication, exponential growth, prime numbers, etc.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 41 comments A nice book that covers the 1st, 2nd, 3rd... concept is Stuart's "Henry the Fourth".

And we loved "Ten, Nine, Eight" by Molly Bang. (It also serves as a goodnight book)

There's another book that's fantastic, but for the life of me I can't remember the title. Drats!!! I will return when I can think of it. Even if I can't ;]

message 6: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 44 comments One Lonely Sea Horse by Saxton Freymann

A counting book with a nice little story told in rhyming text about Bea, a lonely sea horse. All of the illustrations are made from food - mostly fruit and vegetables. I love the banana dolphins!

One Lonely Sea Horse by Saxton Freymann

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love, love, love "Frog in the Bog" by Karma Wilson as a counting book and as a great story time read-aloud.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1 comments A favorite of mine (and of countless "test toddlers") is Phyllis Root's One Duck Stuck. Delightful story that leads to a literal and figurative release!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 61 comments I LOVE One Duck Stuck! My students and I read that one so many times last year :)

message 12: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 4308 comments Mod
I loved One White Wishing Stone: A Beach Day Counting Book The illustrations are SO lovely and the rhyme flow is excellent.

message 13: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Miss Spider's Tea Party is an adorable board book about counting and how not to be afraid of people because they may be different from you.

It also exists as part of the Leapfrog Tag Reader system but the story is slightly different. It doesn't come up on GR but it does on BN and Amazon, ISBN 9781400672219

Miss Spider's Tea Party (Scholastic Bookshelf (Paperback)) by David Kirk

message 14: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Canada 123 is a fun board book that counts through a map of Canada. Something a little different.

message 15: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz This book is an adorable small-size pop-up book on counting to 10 with pretty pop-up butterflies: Counting, but it's not one I'd leave in small hands without adult supervision because it's quite delicate. It'd make a nice little gift for someone who's expecting.

Counting (Baby Bug Pop-Up Books) by David A. Carter

message 16: by Manybooks (last edited May 25, 2010 03:48PM) (new)

Manybooks | 4639 comments Mod
Eastofoz wrote: "Canada 123 is a fun board book that counts through a map of Canada. Something a little different.
"

That looks wonderful, and I think these two might also be good Canada based counting books, Loonies and Toonies: A Canadian Number Book, and My Arctic 1, 2, 3