The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

For Those Who Like To Read > Motivation for Reading Challenge

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1145 comments Mod
So how many of ya do the yearly Goodreads Reading Challenge? Here is a thread that will hopefully get folks to discuss their reading challenge goal(s) and help encourage each other to complete them.

I started the GR reading challenge late last year (2011) by estimating how many more books I'd get through by the end of the year and I came up one book short. My last book I was in the middle of reading at year's end.

This year (2012) I upped the stakes by about a dozen more books than last years number. I have fallen behind. :(

My biggest stumbling block was early this year when I was in the process of reading a book that had 550? pages and I was not getting "into" it. I put the book down for more than a month (almost a month and a half) and then slowly got back to reading it and getting back "into" the storyline. I finally finished that one. I need to finish my review of it because it was a book I had gotten for a giveaway.

My next stumbling block is another book I am currently having a problem "getting into". It is not because I am not enjoying the story it is mostly because this particular book has a strange writing style and the author crams a lot of information and confusing junk into each and every paragraph. Part of my frustration with this one is it is the monthly read for one of the book clubs.

So how do you guys get motivated to finish a book you are having problems getting through, but really really want to finish? Or that you HAVE to finish for one reason or another? (book club reading, literature class assignment, favorite author, favorite book series etc...)

BTW I am currently 11 books behind in my challenge EEEEKKK!

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 38 comments I switch back and forth on books so if one is not working I switch to another and come back later. When on a deadline I just make myself do it but I hate that because I probably lose a lot of enjoyment that way

message 4: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Aug 29, 2012 09:21AM) (new)

Terri wrote: "I switch back and forth on books so if one is not working I switch to another and come back later. When on a deadline I just make myself do it but I hate that because I probably lose a lot of enjo..."

I usually have a second book to go back to as well, I did for a little bit, but it wasn't as exciting as the book I was stuck on.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 38 comments well THAT is not how it should work. LOL

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

As an avid reader, I have a few suggestions.

1. If you can't get into it and you're already 1/3 of the way into it, drop it. Chances are if you don't like it by then, you aren't going to ever like it. It's not worth it wasting a bunch of time on something you hate.

2. Set a schedule. Such as 20 minutes or something before bed. That way it'll become routine and you won't question it.

3. Find out why you don't like it. The plot? The characters? The style? Once you know, you can focus on the parts you do like. It'll help you ignore the parts you don't like.

UPdate: I finished the "problem" book last week 6 days ago and 2 books ago.

I try not to "drop" books if I can help it. Switching to a more interesting book usually gets me out of the "reading drought".

I still have a book I need to finish the review for. :)

message 8: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I found I was spending more time writing reviews, keeping track on Goodreads of what I had read and writing comments than I was actually reading. So I cut back on the first three and I am probably way beyond my intended challenge. I do most of my reading on Kindle and get a lot of the free books so if it's free, and I can't get into it, I don't hesitate to delete it. But if I have paid for the book, I have a harder time putting it down. My Kindle is full of all kinds of books and I go back and forth on the kind I read or what I am reading. Since July I have been re-reading the Dean Koontz books and am loving doing that but I don't know if a re-read counts or not. I just know I am enjoying my reading more now than ever, thanks to Kindle, large type and retirement.

Karen,

Unfortunately re-reads do NOT count toward the yearly challenges. Only the most recent reading dates are recorded.

I read Koontz's "Demon Seed" ages ago and need to re-read it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've already read over 6,500 pages since August; does that sound like at a lot? I felt I've been slacking off...

message 11: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) | 140 comments That sounds like a lot to me. I've already read 70 books to my goal of a 100, I think I might change it to 200 if I reach my goal by mid-March. So many books yet so little time...

message 12: by Carly (new)

Carly (CarlyKip) I have a goal of 100 books before the end of the year. I'm about 14 books behind 'schedule' but I know I'll be easily able to catch up once I'm in summer vacation mode. Then I will have all the time in the world to read what I want to read! (English major problems- reading ALL THE TIME, but rarely a book you wanted to read in the first place)

message 13: by Vernice (new)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) I used to slog through books even if I didn't enjoy it, but lately I don't force myself to read something I don't enjoy. If you do that, something that's supposed to be pleasurable turns into a chore, and I've got enough of those.
If I am still interested in the storyline, I can normally find a good summary online.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Palladino I am currently 7 books behind in my reading challenge. Right now my biggest road block is finals schedule because studying is more important right now, right? I guess so. Once finals are done I have three weeks to do nothing but read (and do other Christmas things). My book right now is perfect for this time though because it is short stories, my motivation is study for a while than read one of the stories. Although for normal books I follow the 100 page rule: if I read 100 pages and I am still not interested than maybe it is not for me.