Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Lori > The Hooper Humperdink Award for Best Use of Inventive or Unusual Language

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Feb 05, 2009 07:15AM) (new)

Lori | 19 comments When it came to inventing new and interesting words, Dr. Seuss was the master! From Oobleck, to Sneetch, to the Grinch himself, Dr. Seuss used words as a painter might use watercolors, never allowing the constraints of something as silly as a dictionary to get in the way of his fun. And it WAS fun -- not just for him, but for the millions of children who giggled through his books.

This award is for the author who best emulates Dr. Seuss' uncanny ability to create and use language that is, in the words of Ralph Fletcher, both "wrong and wonderful" to tell their story. Books should be written for children in K-6. Deadline for award nominations is March 5, 2009.

Works cited: Fletcher, R. (1993) What a Writer Needs. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, p. 142.

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Feb 10, 2009 01:42PM) (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments I nominate Runny Babbit by Shel Silverstein. This "billy sook" uses common words but twists them to make the story interesting and fun for children. This book is composed of many short stories/poems. Shel Silverstein uses his great illustration skills to help tell the stories in this book. This book could help with fluency in the classroom. I would use this for a read-aloud or for students to use as independent reading. Runny Babbit and his friends Toe Jurtle, Ploppy Sig, Polly Dorkupine, and Pilly Belican would love to win this award! Runny Babbit A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Feb 23, 2009 07:44PM) (new)

Sarah (sed5071) | 14 comments Ounce, Dice, Trice by Alastair Reid

I nominated this book by Alastair Reid because it includes numerous made up words that are fun and exciting to elementary aged children(9-12 year olds). This book has a collection of old and new words, including those to be said in singing moods, and words for times of day. Also, shows children a different and fun way to count to ten. This is great for a read aloud or as a family word play.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments Sit on a Potato Pan, Otis! More Palindromes
I nominate "Sit on a Potato Pan, Otis!" by Jon Agee. through the entire 74 pages, from the front cover, Agee uses palindromes (a word, phrase, or word sequence that is read the same way backward as forward). it's an incredibly interesting read that doesn't let you put the book down until the back cover; you could read it backwards too if you want!

message 5: by Linzi (new)

Linzi Wilkinson | 14 comments I nominate the book "Nobody's Nosier Than A Cat" written by Susan Campbell Bartoletti and illustrated by Beppe Giacobbe. This book was written in 2003 and published by Hyperion Books For Children.
I really like this book. The author uses rhyming to make funny words. You have to read this book to understand. I would use this book in a read aloud.

message 6: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 14 comments I nominate " One I love, two I love and other loving mother goose rhymes" illustrated by Nonny Hogrogian. This book displayed some interesting words that were used for rhyming. Some examples of the words are ickle, ockle, blue bockle, and Willy, Willy, Wilkin, kissed the maids a-milking. I found this book to be quite humorous with it's made up words.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "Max's Words" by Kate Banks. Max's brothers collected stamps and coins. He didn't know what to collect so he cut out words from newspapers, magazines, dictionaries, and other things. His brothers help him organize the words to create a story. This book would be great to use in a literature lesson or even poetry.

message 8: by Amber (last edited Feb 26, 2009 08:56PM) (new)

Amber | 14 comments One, Two, Three O'Leary
One, Two, Three O'Leary by Malachy Doyle
I nominate the book, "One, Two, Three O'Leary" by Malachy Doyle. The book is about ten O'Leary children that are playing and jumping around in a big bed. It has lots of made up words that make it fun to read and rhyme. This book would be a lot of fun for a read aloud and has great illustrations to go along with the words. It's almost like a song and it is a catchy book for anyone to read. I actually laughed out loud when I read this and even shared it with some of my friends!

message 9: by Corby (last edited Mar 05, 2009 05:57PM) (new)

Corby Lancaster | 14 comments I nominate "Don't Bump the Glump" by Shel Silverstein. This is a fantastic collection of poems using made up words and rhyming words. Children love to hear and experiment with different words. Reading these poems will spark their creativity. It is sure to entertain children of all ages.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Amici | 16 comments Vroomaloom Zoom by John Coy

I nominate "Vroomaloom Zoom" by John Coy. This book is about Carmela who has a "car" in her nameAlikes to be lulled by a revving motor. Her and her dad ride across mountains and past waterfalls, with sound effects to match the scenery. Carmela keeps her eyes open as long as she can, always telling her father, "Keep driving." Coy uses onomatopoeia on every page. For example, the "wurgle lurgle" of a swamp and the airy "swoosh awoosh" of the car rushing forward. This book deserves to win The Hooper Humperdink Award for Best Use of Inventive or Unusual Language because children would have so much fun figuring out how to make the sounds come alive.

message 11: by Ericajean (last edited Mar 05, 2009 12:53AM) (new)

Ericajean | 13 comments Doo-Wop Pop by Roni Schotter
I nominate Doo-Wop Pop by Roni Schotter for the The Hooper Humperdink Award for Best Use of Inventive or Unusual Language Award. This book could be used not only to introduce some form music; it can be used also for African American history. A janitor takes time to help a couple shy students gain their voice. Enough rhyming to catch one’s attention but not so that it overpowers the story. Be-boopa Bold! Awesome imagery.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 16 comments I nominate "Gillygaloos and Gollywhoppers: Tall Tales about Mythical Monsters" by Ennis Rees. This book of verse is devoted to the creation of strange and hilarious creatures through the use of inventive words. Although this book was written decades ago, I feel it still has the power to inspire young writers to try their own hand at crafting colorful works through the use of inventive language.

message 13: by Shawn (last edited Mar 04, 2009 10:42AM) (new)

Shawn Cunningham | 15 comments I nominate “I knew two who said moo: a counting and rhyming book" by Judy Barrett.

Although this book does not invent its own funderful langauage. It gives young children a good basis to rhyme words from and how different words can rhyme, but not be spelled the same. For example: the book rhymes, tea, tree, and macaroni with the number three.

I feel this book would serve as an example to show children rhyming words can be in different spellings and would let them see the different ways to rhyme words.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "Jabberwocky," written by Lewis Carroll and illustrated by Graeme Base. This book is filled with mythical elements and make-believe words. The use of such incredible words as "vorpal," "uffish," and "mimsy" can allow a reader to use much of his or her imagination. I feel that this creative freedom within the book earns it a nomination for The Hooper Humperdink Award. This book can be used in grades 2-6. Jabberwocky by Graeme Base

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori | 19 comments Lori Bower
The Pennsylvania State University, Altoona College
3000 Ivyside Park
Altoona, PA 16601-3760

March 26, 2009

The Lewis Carroll Society
50 Lauderdale Mansions
Lauderdale Road
London
W9 1NE

Dear Sir or Madam:

Please find enclosed an award, presented by The Pennsylvania State University’s Altoona College Arts and Literacy program, in honor of the work of Mr. Lewis Carroll, which I hope your society will accept on his behalf.

As part of the Arts and Literacy curriculum, students in the Elementary Education program are required to create an award that that exemplifies one or more elements of children’s literature, as designated by the award creator. Nominations are then solicited from fellow classmates, and the award creator chooses a winning book from those nominees.

The award I created celebrates the use of inventive and unusual language in children’s literature. Developing a love for language is the crucial first step of each child’s lifelong relationship with literacy, which provides the fuel for a passion for writing. As Ralph Fletcher writes in What a Writer Needs, “the writer’s fascination with words has roots in the child’s natural play with language… each new word [brings:] you into a whole new room, filled with new views and distinct, intellectual furniture.” The objective of my award was to find the book whose room may provide a view into a secret world outside the reader’s realm of experience; a room whose furniture may inexplicably cross legs and engage in lively conversation with the reader over a cup of sassafras tea – just before whirling around to swallow him whole. By flinging open wide the doors that separate fantasy from reality, books that engage in language play give our emerging readers and writers a springboard into their own imaginations, and the limitless possibilities that exist there.

Mr. Carroll’s Jabberwocky is the essence of this award. Unconventional, imaginative, and deliciously dark, the story of the Jabberwock is an evocative, multi-sensory experience that somehow prods the evolution of “nonsense” prose into a well-developed, and terrifying, story. A new language born in the mind of a gifted author becomes the vehicle for our gentle reader’s extraordinary journey into a previously undiscovered world. It is through stories such as Jabberwocky that children can glimpse the magic that is made possible only through a love affair with words, and in turn can begin to cultivate their own relationship with language -- one that we, as educators, hope will blossom into a lifelong passion for reading and literacy.

Warm regards,

Lori Bower