Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Announce your Goodreads writing > Link to some of my poems and light verse (posted at Goodreads)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 31, 2009 12:52AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I've posted some of my poems here at Goodreads.
Below is the link if you'd like to see them: ====>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/1...-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most of the poems I've written are light verse.
A few are more serious.
Most of them rhyme.
Some don't.

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina | 5962 comments I am not only impressed that you wrote the poems but that they were published. nina

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 5962 comments Joy, here is a quote you might like:

It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders; coming up of themselves like grass. Eudora Welty

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 31, 2009 05:22PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Nina wrote: "I am not only impressed that you wrote the poems but that they were published. nina"

Thank you, Nina. My light verse and poems were published only in small publications... nothing great. But it was a thrill nevertheless to know someone else thought enough of them to put them in print.

I have so many original poems and light verse which I've written over the years. They're all in scrapbooks. Perhaps I should take time and post them here at Goodreads.

Thanks for your encouragement, Nina. And thanks to those who have left comments or checked the "yes" box saying they liked them. I'm always surprised when someone is interested, because, to tell the truth, I don't enjoy reading poetry in general. I only like writing it. (lol)

Of course there are some special poems (by other authors) which catch my eye every once in a while and I save them.

message 5: by Nina (new)

Nina | 5962 comments I just received a message from my daughter in ID that her daughter, the one born in Germany, is on the short list for professorship at Syracuse,University. They are flying her up to your part of the country for an interview. Keep your fingers crossed for her...nina

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Nina wrote: "Joy, here is a quote you might like:
It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders; coming up of themselves like grass. Eudora Welty"

Great quote, Nina. Thank you!
Well, sometimes poems do come up inside us by themselves...like grass, as Welty says. We wonder where they come from and all we can say by way of explanation is: "It was the Muse".

Here's a piece I get a chuckle out of all the time:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Robert Frost was asked, 'How do you go about writing a poem?'

Frost answered, 'Well, first something has to happen to you.'

Noting that the message didn't sink in, the poet continued:

'Then you put some words on a piece of paper and ride them like a horse
until you have a poem.' "
------------------------------------
-Joe Marshall, in Sports Illustrated
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nina, I've likened writing a poem to doing a puzzle, especially a poem which rhymes. The rhymes have to be pure; the rhythm has to scan perfectly; and the thought has to be interesting and original. That's a tall order.

Below is another piece about Robert Frost and poetry:
====================================================
"His poems were traditional but he often said as a dig at his archrival Carl Sandburg, that 'he would [just as:] soon play tennis without a net as write free verse.' ”
Above quote from: http://www.123helpme.com/preview.asp?...

I've also seen it put this way:
"I'd just as soon play tennis with the net down." -Robert Frost
====================================================

Nina, I write both free verse and rhyming verse.
Naturally, each one requires a different approach.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Nina wrote: "I just received a message from my daughter in ID that her daughter, the one born in Germany, is on the short list for professorship at Syracuse,University. They are flying her up to your part of the country for an interview. Keep your fingers crossed for her."

Nina, my fingers are crossed for your granddaughter.

Our son graduated from Syracuse Univeristy, magna cum laude. He's doing very well for himself too. S.U. is a good university of course, but the weather in Syracuse is is cold and damp. Tell your granddaughter to find a position where it's warm. LOL

That's the advice of an old lady. (g)

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina | 5962 comments Thanks. And Congratulations on your son's achievement. Leah should be used to damp. By Christmas eve there was already 29 inches of snow on the ground in Spokane, WA. But I think she would like FL better. However, her mom says she is excited. nina

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 01, 2009 08:42PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thank you, Nina. I hope things will work out well for your granddaughter.

Speaking of grandchildren, below is a link to a poem I wrote when my first grandchild was born in 1995: ====>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aren't we grandmothers proud and grateful!
Becoming a grandparent is a new emotion altogether, isn't it.

BTW, my grandchildren call me "Nina". (g)

message 10: by Nina (new)

Nina | 5962 comments I loved yor poem. nina