The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Another New Newbie!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (inexplicablybookish) Greetings All!

I am finally getting around to posting a hello! I joined the group a little bit ago but suck at introducing myself ... so I haven't.

I've been an avid reader my entire life. I adore reading. I love all the physical aspects of books too. I love it so much that even with living in "temporary" places while I was in school I always made sure my book collection came along for the ride. I can't be without my books!

I'm a recent law school grad, trying to get work in the public service field, and biding my time waiting for that (public agencies = government = everything takes forever!) by working part time at Barnes and Noble. Let me tell you ... my will power to NOT buy books, especially with my generous discount, is almost non-existent.

Besides reading I love to knit, play video games, run (yes! I really do love it! even when I whine about having to get up and get going ;) ), and watch movies.

That's about all I can think of right now ... I'm excited to have a group of people I can chat about books with - so yay for this group!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Welcome, Rebecca! I graduated from college in May and am still trying to find a full-time job so I'm working at Borders. I have no willpower to not buy anything either, I've accumulated more books in the 4 months I have worked there than I did in the whole previous year.

message 3: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Welcome Rebecca! I love running too(even if sometimes it doesn't look like that at all) but my knees don't like it or it gives me headaches.
When working at WHSmith(book chain in the UK) I didn't ahve any will power either,e specially not on the days that everything was 10% off and I could add my employees discount on it. One evening I came home from work and went fast to my bedroom so my boyfriend wouldn't have time to come to me, with a huge bag full of books .....for about 100 pound. BUt I 'only' paid around75 pound after the discount:-))))

message 4: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie | 140 comments Hi Rebecca! I'm also a newbie and my given name is Rebecca. I've always liked the name, but my dad shortened my name to Reb or Rebbie, so I've always gone by that. I'm still learning how to navigate the forum, but looking forward to talking with a great group.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Rebecca!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (inexplicablybookish) Thanks for all the replies! I feel so welcome! :)

Jessica - Too funny! We're living similar lives! I'm trying to keep myself to a 2 book a month limit on what I buy ... though I think I bought 5 in January ... so I did a bad job with it lol.

Rebbie - I love the nickname for Rebecca! I've never heard that one before. I used to hate being called Rebecca, so everyone called me Becca ... but now I'm not a fan of that either - Rebecca just seems more fitting these days! Although my parents/close friends still get away with calling me Bec.

message 7: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Rebecca welcome to the group!!! I am always a little jealous when I hear about people working for Borders or Barnes and Noble. I always think, "oh it would be so cool to work there and get books for a discount...etc...." Then I realize I would never have a pay check. It would all be spent on all those books. LOL
I guess I better stick to the healthcare field. hehe!!!

message 8: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi rebecca! Welcome to the group!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Welcome Rebecca!

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
Hi Rebecca. thanks for joining and for finally introducing yourself! I love all things books..... and this is certainly the place to be for that!!!!