Zombies! discussion

Zombie Theory > Zombies and Will

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (last edited Dec 17, 2007 08:42AM) (new)

Matthew (imstoic) | 8 comments Do zombies exhibit free will? This guy knows.

message 2: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 36 comments Hmmmm, there is conflicting evidence. In Day of the Dead, they showed that even with all digestive organs severed, the zombie would still try to eat. This surely points to an automatic, habitual behavior, and would suggest the powers of reason, and choice based on analysis, are absent.

However, Romero altered that notion a bit in Land of the Dead, where we see zombies actually do some problem solving, but problem solving does not necessarily equal free will. If we are willing to include all zombies, then the Thriller video and end of Shaun of the Dead, would point to free will. or something...

message 3: by Matthew (last edited Dec 17, 2007 11:08PM) (new)

Matthew (imstoic) | 8 comments The comic in question links two ideas as if they were synonymous. When asked if zombies have free will, the snake answers "Oh, they know!" This implies that consciousness and the free will concept are the same, an idea I would reject.

I suppose that by asking "do zombies exhibit free will" (even as a set up to link to a comic) I am implying that humans HAVE free will. I believe in some form of will, but the closest to what I will accept is the "freedom" put forth in Freedom Evolves by Dennett.

Um...so the comic was funny.