Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

How do you use the list?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 14 comments I am probably not as serious as some of you about reading the list. I use the list as a means of recommendations for myself when I go to the library. I have enjoyed most of the books I have read, but I am not going to read a book I hate just so I can complete the list.

I tend to read one book from the list, then one of my choosing. However, sometimes I read 20 that are not on the list before going back to it.

How do you use/follow the list?

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave I use the list almost the exact same way. It's a reference guide for the library, and I add all kinds of books in between. I started on 21st century as a way to cull the list somewhat, and I read more than my share of 18th and 19th in college.(English Lit.!)

message 3: by Momoko (new)

Momoko Ueda (Momoko37971) | 6 comments SORRY THIS IS RANDOM BUT I LOVE JOE J!

message 4: by Camille (new)

Camille (thefiercepanda) | 6 comments I'm using it the same way especially since A) I think some authors are a bit over-represented and B) some of these books are downright impossible to find!

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina | 186 comments I get inspired by the list and read books I am interested in - currently I don't read any books just to finish the list but if I at one point is close to finishing it, I probably will.
I have found the boos I've read from the list so far, really interesting so I will keep on being inspired by it.

message 6: by Luiza (new)

Luiza | 22 comments A friend and I decided to do it together - I see it as a fun challenge, and as something for us to do together, reading the same books, "hunting" for the ones that are so hard to find, etc etc.

Obviously, I'm not gonna read only the ones in the list. But, most of the books on my to-read list were in the 1001 list as well, so anyway.

message 7: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) | 75 comments I started using the list because I was tired of finishing books and feeling like i had wasted my time with them. at least with the list i knew that most of the books would be worth the read. i rarely veer from the list unless I really enjoy a certain author, such as margaret atwood, i read all of her stuff even what wasn't listed. and then i throw in what i term a "fluff" read every now and then.

message 8: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (afderrick) | 93 comments I actually went through every book on the list and picked out the ones that looked interesting and have made my own list of books to read before I die. The other thing I really enjoy using the list for is I enjoy participating in the reading book club part of this group. I've read lots of books that I passed over in my initial look through and I've really enjoyed them. I also enjoy having someone to discuss the books with.

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (chaoticreader) I use the list as one of several sources for compiling my own list of what I want to read. I have too many non-fiction reading interests to spend all my time on 1001 novels that someone else has chosen.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) I use the list as a way to find a new book... much like hunting for a new author or getting a recommendation from a friend. I have no desire to even try reading all of the books on the 1,001 list, it's just another way to find something to read when I can't decide what else to read.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) i am using the list as a challenge to broaden my reading picks. When I was in high school, many years ago, I went through a classics period, but lately have fallen into a single or double genre rut. Currently I am participating in 5 different GR challenges, some of which dovetail together, some don't, but I am revitalizing my love of reading across all genres, and I am enjoying it immensely.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna  (AnnaPeace) | 1 comments Megan wrote: "I am probably not as serious as some of you about reading the list. I use the list as a means of recommendations for myself when I go to the library. I have enjoyed most of the books I have read,..."

Hi Megan. If you like recommendations try Kicked Out by Richard W Hardwick. I keep telling all my friends about it and those that have bought it agree with me. Its challenging and hilarious at times, a very strong first person narrative by a sixteen year old from Newcastle - a book to make you laugh and cry. It should be huge, but it seems most people have never even heard of it. I'm on a mission to get people to read it; the best book I've read in years...

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara I looked through the book because my boyfriend bought it for me as a anniversary gift and I have been keeping a list of the ones I have already read. As for following it,I have been following the books that are being read every month but that's it so far. I picked up a few I wanted to read awhile ago but I have not gotten through all of them.I read my regular stuff then the extras from the list also.It would be nice to finish the list but I don't think I could. Some of the books I have not been able to find.

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) Anna wrote: "Megan wrote: "I am probably not as serious as some of you about reading the list. I use the list as a means of recommendations for myself when I go to the library. I have enjoyed most of the book..."

Lyn-

Which challenges are you doing?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Jenni wrote: "Anna wrote: "Megan wrote: "I am probably not as serious as some of you about reading the list. I use the list as a means of recommendations for myself when I go to the library. I have enjoyed mo..."

I belong to three groups:

--This group, and I count the list as a lifetime challenge
--Pick-a-shelf: We have a shelf a thon challenge which is a three month challenge
---The Book Challenge Group: Here I am doing the A to Z Title challenge and the 7 classics challenge, which are year long challenges, and the BBC challenge which is the 100 items on the BBC list.

In addition, I am reading our monthly selection and a monthly selection for the Pick-a-shelf group.

How about you? What types of groups/challenges do you like?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Lyn wrote: "i am using the list as a challenge to broaden my reading picks. When I was in high school, many years ago, I went through a classics period, but lately have fallen into a single or double genre ru..."

Anna - I know your note was to Megan, but I have never heard of the book either. I think I will check it out. This is what I like so much about GR, is I meet a lot of neat people and find out about a lot of good books that I never would have come across otherwise.

message 17: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Camp (gerryc) | 75 comments I use the list to get myself to read classics I've missed (just finished "Anna Karenina" and started "Middlemarch" and to discover modern authors who come highly recommended. I also read a lot of contemporary literary fiction that is not on the list. I read between 60-70 books a year.
GerryC

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) Lyn wrote: "Lyn wrote: "i am using the list as a challenge to broaden my reading picks. When I was in high school, many years ago, I went through a classics period, but lately have fallen into a single or dou..."

Lyn,

I'm doing the A-Z title challenge, the 7 classics challenge, and the 50 books in a year challenge. All three of them work together nicely. It gives me a good mix of books, and it's a great way to find a book that I might not otherwise read. Later this year I will probably start the A-Z author challenge, and only let authors that I haven't read before count. :)

message 19: by Everyman (new)

Everyman Gerald wrote: "I use the list to get myself to read classics I've missed (just finished "Anna Karenina" and started "Middlemarch" and to discover modern authors who come highly recommended. I also read a lot of c..."

Both excellent choices. There are legitimate reasons to consider Middlemarch the best novel in the English language. Of course, the idea of one best novel is somewhat silly, and even if one were to try to name it there are other legitimate contenders (Bleak Hose for one), but Middlemarch would certainly be high in the running

message 20: by Everyman (new)

Everyman Lyn wrote: "Lyn wrote: "i am using the list as a challenge to broaden my reading picks. When I was in high school, many years ago, I went through a classics period, but lately have fallen into a single or dou..."

The "Classics and the Western Canon" group has just been formed. For those interested in reading and discussing classic books, come join us.
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes I use the list if I want to read a book by a certain author and want to know which one I should read. I also randomly choose a book from the list now and then so I read something I wouldn't read otherwise. Most of the ones I read off the list were not chosen because they were on the list, but because I wanted to read them, they just happened to be on the list as well.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda Thanks for starting that Classics group, Everyman! I will be joining. I see that we share many favorite authors (Austen, Dickens, Shakespeare) Yea!

message 23: by Everyman (new)

Everyman Linda wrote: "Thanks for starting that Classics group, Everyman! I will be joining. I see that we share many favorite authors (Austen, Dickens, Shakespeare) Yea!"

Glad to see you there!

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela Randall (smange) | 3 comments I really use these "best of", "before you die" or "award winning" lists as a mark of quality and/or unique content. Same goes for movies and music. And, although you won't always like the content, it's usually worth your time for the eye-opening experience.

Personally, I'm not reading just from this list, nor am I using it as a to-do list as such. However, I will turn to these lists for ideas when I want to try something new. And, given the likelihood of these books being something I will appreciate (and recommend other people at least try to read) I don't mind buying them without having any idea what they contain.

This is great for me as I hate spoilers. :D

This also makes these lists very useful when I'm living in a country which doesn't use my native tongue and I'm often purchasing things online with little background information.

This said, I still pick and choose my books from within the list. And on this note, I have to say, I'm very impressed that the moderators of this group have gone to the effort of adding other bookshelves for countries and some genres. It's a fair bit of work doing the taxonomy, but it really comes in handy for people browsing the shelves. I really appreciate it - Thanks!

Ange.

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela Randall (smange) | 3 comments I really use these "best of", "before you die" or "award winning" lists as a mark of quality and/or unique content. Same goes for movies and music. And, although you won't always like the content, it's usually worth your time for the eye-opening experience.

Personally, I'm not reading just from this list, nor am I using it as a to-do list as such. However, I will turn to these lists for ideas when I want to try something new. And, given the likelihood of these books being something I will appreciate (and recommend other people at least try to read) I don't mind buying them without having any idea what they contain.

This is great for me as I hate spoilers. :D

This also makes these lists very useful when I'm living in a country which doesn't use my native tongue and I'm often purchasing things online with little background information.

This said, I still pick and choose my books from within the list. And on this note, I have to say, I'm very impressed that the moderators of this group have gone to the effort of adding other bookshelves for countries and some genres. It's a fair bit of work doing the taxonomy, but it really comes in handy for people browsing the shelves. I really appreciate it - Thanks!

Ange.

message 26: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (Book_drunkard) | 24 comments I usually stick to the same general genre/author and always have. I am using the list to branch out a little and try new authors. I know, some of them are not "new" but I am not familiar with many of them.

I may or may not read something off the list every time I pick my next read, but I have several that I know I will choose when I hit the library next time.

I like knowing what other people think about a book even though I don't let that determine whether I read it or not. It is just kind of nice to know how others see the same thing I am reading, just read or may pick up next week. -- Allison

message 27: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (miss_spookiness) | 12 comments I'm aiming to read 50 books from the list a year - so at the moment I'm only reading books from the list (to catch up as I'm a bit behind on my aim, hehe), but other times I read other books, then a few from the list, then others again etc.

I do use it for buying books though - as I want so many books but don't have room, I'm limiting myself to just buying books if they're on this list :)

message 28: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) | 13 comments Hiya , I'm Natalie . I use this book as a guide to finding classics that I want to read . I seriously doubt I would actually read/like all the books on the list . So used as a mere reference guide is perfect for me !