The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > JS&MN Movie Adaptation

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) I've known for a while now that the book Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (our group read for January) has been in the works of being adapted in the silver screen by New Line Cinema which snagged the film rights for the movie. But lately there has been no news as to what happened to the project. The last I've known is that the script writer backed out in doing the script for the film (my source is somewhat sketchy, I don't know).
I like to ask anyone if they have any news on what has been the developments on this movie...

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I had not heard anything about a movie adaptation. I can't imagine how that one would work, though. They would either have to edit the story so much it wouldn't be recognizable, or you'd have a 24 hour movie! Maybe they could do it as a mini-series, with, like, 100 episodes or something.

message 3: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I just looked it up on IMDB, and it lists a release date of 2010. No cast, and it says the script is "currently being written" by someone named Julian Fellowes. Don't know if that helps! :)

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yes Fiona - you better read the book!

*swats Fiona with brick book - feathers flying*

message 5: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I KNEW I'd heard that name before. Didn't he also write a book called "Snobs"?

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (sweetmelissa818) That's great! While I've been reading this (all month!) I kept thinking that it would make a great movie IF it was done right. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed!

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments LOL - if they are still writing the screen play I doubt it will be released 2010. I know a few people "in the business" and it works far slower than publishing - which is VERY VERY slow.

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen | 14 comments Maureen wrote: "I had not heard anything about a movie adaptation. I can't imagine how that one would work, though. They would either have to edit the story so much it wouldn't be recognizable, or you'd have a 24 ..."

or 3 movies, 1 with 2 sequels,