Terminalcoffee discussion

Entertainment ... and sports too > Childrens television programming

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Is it just me, or is the realm of childrens programming becoming very odd to the point of almost creepy?

Look at the past 10 years with things like "Teletubbies" "Boobahs" and even the evil "Barney & Friends". Don't even get me started on "Yo Gabba Gabba". The latter of which may well be the most disturbing. The only human on the show D.J. Lance Rock, looks like either a creamsicle or orange dancing phallus...take your pick.

Strange puppets, and strange cartoons are everywhere. I see shows now that seem to sick for no reason other than to be as disgusting as possible. "Spongebob Squarepantants", "Chowder", and "The Mighty B" are the most pointless and braindead things I've ever seen on TV.

I miss the shows that were on when I was growing up. We didn't have Elmo taking over "Seasme Street" and the creepiest thing I was exposed to was well Mr. Rogers puppets.

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I agree wholeheartedly, Mike, although I've not watched as much children's television as you apparently have been doing. What I have seen is frightening.

I'm especially unhappy about Baby Einstein. parking a child infront of a screen with puppets set to music and the hypnotic effect it has upon a 6 month old makes me want to run screaming for the hills with my (imaginary) bebeh strapped tight in my papoose.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments I am only exposed to a lot due to be laid off, and stuck home with my daughter. I want so badly to start cussing out Dora, and Diego whenever they invite viewers to take action...I think I'm losing brain cells.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Neil Gaiman was on NPR talking about the Newberry he just won for The Graveyard Book. He said that he deliberately wrote the villains as living humans, to infuse some truth into the fantasy.

I think a lot of children's programming is made by people who bank on the theory that children have no taste and no complexity. They use bad animators, derivative concepts, and paint-by-numbers plots.

The best shows for children have always been the ones that are smart and clever and well made, and hide ethical questions and educational aspects among the fun, and appeal to parents as well as children.

Is it true that Snuffleupagus is visible to everybody now?

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Is it true that Snuffleupagus is visible to everybody now?

Yes. That actualy happened during my childhood..towards the very end of my Sesame days.

Now to put a positive note in here there are a couple shows that I enjoy with my daughter.

Toot & Puddle-it is about 2 pig friends that travel the world and explore different cultures.

Blues Clues- Too bad they no longer make this one, as it actualy encouraged children to help figure out a puzzle based upon sighting clues.

message 6: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Sesame Street is a great show for preliterate children.

Between the Lions is another excellent show for pre kindergarten and kindergarten children.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I learned to read before Kindergarten from Sesame Street. My parents didn't read to me--it was all them. I love them.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Pixar does a great job of making movies that appeal to children and adults.

Is Dora the Explorer any good? I like the concept, but I've never seen the show.

When I was a kid, we watched Sesame Street and Mister Rogers, and 3-2-1 Contact, the Electric Company, and Square One TV.
We weren't allowed to watch Turkey TV or You Can't Do That on Television.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 29, 2009 01:34PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. The big red dancing weiner on yo gabba gabba always makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSQiq5...

I don't know if kids tv is getting weirder. I think it's always been a bit weird. I agree with Sarah Pi in that shows that can appeal to both kids and parents seem to work esp. well. I don't mind watching Blues Clues or Zooboomafoo. Dora's ok. Caillou sucks. That kid is whiny. I like Spongebob.

Gaiman's Graveyard Book is a tough one when it comes to making the call as to what age most kids could handle the material. Jackie and Montambo and I have talked about this in review threads...I find the first chapter terrifying, and I'm usually ok with exposing my kids to challenging material. I guess everyone has to make that call on their own, you know?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm not sure what the appropriate age is to start reading that sort of stuff...my younger sister was drawn to creepy stories from the age of six or seven. All of the Hitchcock Presents books, and later Christopher Pike. Some of them scared her so badly she'd ask me to hide them in my room.
She would have loved that book, and my parents would have happily gotten it for her, since it's so clearly a step above some of the crap she was reading.

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Zooboomafoo is awesome because I love the way it presents nature to kids. I enjoy the Kratt brothers. It also makes my almost 2 yr. old daughter leap around like a lemur.

Caillou is indeed too whiny.

Dragontales is tolerable as well.

The only good thing to come out of Yo Gabba Gabba is I torture my 10 yr. old stepson that I'm going to be DJ Lance for Halloween.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh...that would be hilarious...and not that difficult of a costume, either...

If you have cable, Mike, and the Discovery Kids channel...at 4AM (where I live, anyway) they run these hour long Discovery Kids nature specials you'd probably like...this morning's was on bears.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 30, 2009 07:00AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments By the way, I will know the Zooboomafoo theme song by heart for the rest of my life.

From memory...

While walking in the woods one day
Chris and Martin saw something strange
A little leaping lemur who liked to bounce and play
They followed their new bouncing friend
Not knowing where the adventure would end
The animals were (ok, I'm not sure about this part...) living just around the bend
Where we going?
I don't know!
How do we get there?
Come on let's go!
Me and You and Zooboomooafoo
Come along and see what's new
At animal junction we're waiting for you!

And so on:)

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments I've caught those a time or two when my daughter was waking up at all times of the day.

The other day while playing a game of Sorry with my stepdaughter I exposed her to Jeff Corwin, which at first she was complaining, then proceded to be too distracted to even play the game. She was fascinated with the way he presented some interested creatures like the largest freshwater turtle and the smallest frog.

message 15: by Arief Azrul (new)

Arief Azrul Amar, Riefa (rieva) | 2 comments spongebobs is the best one!!
everyone??

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm currently reading Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street; one of the biggest criticisms leveed against Sesame Street Productions is the emergence of Elmo and the dumbing-down of the program. When Jim Henson died, there was a leadership void; although he's never completely become the program's leader, the program's vision is now shaped by Kevin Clash, the man who voices Elmo.

And I fucking LOATHE Elmo.

message 17: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Elmo has indeed ruined the show. They have also added other pointless characters as well. I do agree that Elmos emergence has dumbed down the show greatly. T'd be curious to read the above mentioned book. I may have to track down a copy.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I can't stand Elmo, and Spongebob is no longer fun for me after having a Spongebob video game on the kids' library computers for 8 years. The sound effects and the "GIVE ME THE PATTY!" over and over are like nails on a chalk board...

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I'm sad to hear all this about Sesame Street. I had no idea it isn't still the same program that taught me about neighborliness and consideration for others.

message 20: by Cyril (new)

Cyril My kids can do without that idiot box. No Sesame Street, no Spongebob, no movies. They watch Dora occasionally. Every time Dora stops to ask the viewer a question, my kids just stare stupidly. I HATE THAT! Not letting them watch TV makes work harder for us (mostly my wife) because we have to interact with them all the time, but I think it's worth it.

message 21: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Whatever happened to Fred Penner, and Mr. Dressup...-sigh-

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Wasn't Mr. Dressup convicted of something?

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Not to my knowledge

message 24: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments I rank children video's infant through 1st Grade:

1. Sesame Street - without a doubt the best because I heard of many cases of how it taught children to read.

2. Between The Lions - Uses clever diddies and picture moving characters in popular stories to help children read.

3. The Electric Company - crazy characters attract children to difficult reading concepts.

message 25: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments

I also believe that television for pre talking children is good. It allows them to hear clear correct language and allows them to associate many words to images.

message 26: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Not sure why this old thread popped up, but I can add a few words.

Most of the shows mentioned here are complete crap, especially the shrill and shrieking "Dora, the Explorer," "Caillou," and "Elmo" (that's what I call Sesame Street now, because he has COMPLETELY taken over).

Here are some better choices...

1. Charlie and Lola (love this one!)
2. Maisy Mouse (sweet and harmless)
3. Trotro (have only seen about a dozen episodes, but it is obviously WAY above the crap like "Dora")

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Phil wrote: "Not sure why this old thread popped up, but I can add a few words."

There are a few ghosts in here stirring things up.

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Boo! I have nothing to add.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 12, 2014 09:11PM) (new)

Ha! I don't have much. Although I can whole heartily agree with the Dora thing. Uck! It was the sort of show that sticks to your brain in an extremely annoying way. "Blues Clues" was fun. "The Bear in the Big Blue House" was was good, though I can't recall a thing about it. Thank goodness I am passed the kiddy programme watching stage. The rubbish produced for preteens is by far worse. A lot of the programmes that we get from the US are appalling. I was very selective about what I let my kids watch. An example and probably the worst of the bunch being "The Amanda Show" and "Hannah Montana"

message 30: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments My dream remains to one day set Barney on fire.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never had the pleasure/agony of watching Barney. I am willing to follow you on this one Doc!

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Bananas in pajamas
going up and down the stairs

I have no memory of the show, just that bit of the song. Was it a show? Or some SNL skit?? Maybe I was high.

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2014 09:01PM) (new)

The Bananas in Pyjamas is a very popular Australian show. I could sing the rest of it for you? It's an ABC production, a lot higher quality than most little kids shows.

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam (thebookhobbit) | 1 comments A family favorite of ours was and will always be Blues Clues. Even when Steve left and we all thought it was because the actor got in trouble, we still liked it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Sam.

What did Steve get in trouble for? Please tell me it was nothing to do with small children.

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Please sing me a song, Gail! I was pretty sure David watched BiP, but couldn't pull anything else out of the memory banks.